Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

The end of my PCM2 - upgrading

some more information here. Please message me if I can help anyone with further information...

the wiring diagrams I used are here:
http://www.tehnomagazin.com/Auto-ra...enna coming from the PlugA pin 5 (see above) https://www.renntech.org/forums/topic/35903-pcm-antenna/

GPS:
My Head unit came with a GPS antenna (Small square one) this looked the same as the porsche one that is mounted under the alarm light in the centre top of the dash. I did buy a convertor for this but in the end decided to simply swap out the Porsche one for the new Kenwood one, which was easy to do.
[/url]https://www.renntech.org/forums/tutorials/article/20-pcm-2-installation/
Half way down the page on the link above it shows you how to swap them over.

DAB:
I bought a small thin GPS antenna from here:
[/url]http://www.dabonwheels.co.uk/Kinetic_MagnetwiG__DMA-1004_DAB_car_aerial.html
I routed it to under the cowling on the right hand side by the pollen filter (as you stand in front of the car looking at the windscreen). I wedged it into the diversity antenna that may or may not help with the reception - it has been fine up to now.

Double Din cage:
I bought this kit again from Connects2. Use the part number on my original post as connects2 tried to give me the part number for the 997!.
It fits well, but I took advice from another forum and added some screws on the left and right side to hold it tight, I didn't think the bend over clips would secure it.

Headunit:
I am very pleased with the headunit. The sound quality is great as is CarPlay. you can customise the colours of the keys and the background to match your car.

Other:
Don't forget to connect the handbrake cable from the headunit to the negative power to trick the unit that the handbrake is on (loads of details about this on the web)
Connect the dimmer cable from the head unit to the cigarette lighter illumination cable to dim the unit when the lights turn on
Connect the Antenna power cable from the head unit to the cars antenna cable

I have just gone through the same thing with a Kenwood DAB/GPD unit.

My connects2 module also did not provide a switched live. There is an orange wire behind the center console that is live with key on ignition. I used this so that it works like OEM and switches off when you pull the key out. DAB i'm using the windscreen mount in the top left corner. I may change to a different style though.

Now i need to check if I need to enable the Inrix DAB bases HD traffic.

Rick

stefant said:
DAB:
http://www.dabonwheels.co.uk/Kinetic_MagnetwiG__DMA-1004_DAB_car_aerial.html
I routed it to under the cowling on the right hand side by the pollen filter (as you stand in front of the car looking at the windscreen). I wedged it into the diversity antenna that may or may not help with the reception - it has been fine up to now.

This sounds interesting...I was looking at getting a DAB head unit but couldn't get my head around what I'd need to do for the aerial. A neat install like this is just what I'm after - was the routing easy to do? Do you have any pictures?

deckster said:
stefant said:
DAB:
http://www.dabonwheels.co.uk/Kinetic_MagnetwiG__DMA-1004_DAB_car_aerial.html

This sounds interesting...I was looking at getting a DAB head unit but couldn't get my head around what I'd need to do for the aerial. A neat install like this is just what I'm after - was the routing easy to do? Do you have any pictures?

Routing was dead easy. Behind the battery is a large grommet that I routed the DAB antenna wire through (be careful not to push the grommet into the car)

Mezgerite said:
I have just gone through the same thing with a Kenwood DAB/GPD unit.

My connects2 module also did not provide a switched live. There is an orange wire behind the center console that is live with key on ignition. I used this so that it works like OEM and switches off when you pull the key out. DAB i'm using the windscreen mount in the top left corner. I may change to a different style though.

Now i need to check if I need to enable the Inrix DAB bases HD traffic.

Rick

That is interesting as I looked everywhere for a switched wire behind the dash. In the US they have the telephone cable and plug there, that they all tap into. Where was the orange wire in the UK car?

Great work. Hoping to see if I can use this to install the Parrot Smart. Do you know if there is any requirement in the new head unit or should I be able to connect anything?

put your head behind the AC controls with the carpet sections removed and you will see a multiplug. Into it a thick orange wire - you can't miss it :)

Mezgerite said:
put your head behind the AC controls with the carpet sections removed and you will see a multiplug. Into it a thick orange wire - you can't miss it :)

This is only on US Spec cars. the UK cars don't have it for some reason...

Not sure where this came from but the Pelican site info is based on US spec LHD models and the layout behind the dash is inevitably different.

stefant said:
Mezgerite said:

This is only on US Spec cars. the UK cars don't have it for some reason...

This is on 997 UK spec - not sure about the 996!

For the Power Switched - how did you connect the power from the switched power source to the new equipment?

Did you just connect that power to the new head unit only, or did you connect the power to the red wire on the Connects2 module as well?

Thanks

Hey guys,

I'm pretty on the forum, I found it on google when I looking for information about Kenwood double DIN head units and how to install them.

I own a 996 (2002 model) and I'm looking to "install" a Kenwood DDX9703S into my lovely car.
After reading several reviews on Amazon and on some other sites like this one
https://greatestspeakers.com/kenwood-ddx9703s-review/ as far as I understand it's the best Kenwood head unit money can buy right now.
The only issues are the legal notice which always pops up and it's a bit pricey, however it's the best rated Kenwood on Amazon.
What do you think guys, is this the right choice?
As far as I can see the installation is not that complicated either.

Thanks!

Welcome Joseph,
can't help you with your choice, but I wouldn't think you need to spend mega bucks on any 996 system, it's too noisy to get decent music imo. I'd just get something which has the functions you need, like BT, nav etc.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smiggles772
Back