Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Anyone know a good garage in Poole/Bournemouth area?

shantybeater said:
I'm also from the Bournemouth area, my car alternates between 9E (for majors) and the local OPC in Ferndown. Don't write them off, prices are very competitive considering its a main dealer and they quoted cheaper for a major service than JMG (also in ferndown).

You also get a nice courtesy car and Porsche club discount :thumb:

I agree always worth checking the opc as often they can be cheaper for bits especially after the discount we get just by asking lol. the guys at Bournemouth OPC are a nice bunch :thumb:

Phil 997 said:
crash7 said:
I used these guys for a PPI on a 996 Turbo a few years back, they were excellent, but as stated it was a little while ago.

http://www.jmgporsche.co.uk/

they did at one time have a good rep, less so in recent years. :nooo:

Yeah I had some work by them which seemed OK. Unfortunately I came away feeling somewhat ripped off. I won't go into it too much but I had an almost comical conversation partway through a job regarding their convenient "fixed pricing" :

garage: while part x is off, it makes sense for us to replace part y
me: ok, how much is that?
garage: we change part y for a fixed price of ££££
me: but surely that should be cheaper as you've already removed part x? You just told me that!
garage: but our prices are fixed......

It's a shame as they're convenient & sounded like they knew what they were talking about (to my non-mechanic ear!) but I just don't trust them now.

shantybeater said:
I'm also from the Bournemouth area, my car alternates between 9E (for majors) and the local OPC in Ferndown. Don't write them off, prices are very competitive considering its a main dealer and they quoted cheaper for a major service than JMG (also in ferndown).

I hear 9E are very good. Do you know if they do any sort of collection/drop off service as they're quite far? How are their prices? Thanks

Dogflaps said:
shantybeater said:

I hear 9E are very good. Do you know if they do any sort of collection/drop off service as they're quite far? How are their prices? Thanks

Ken was able to offer me a car whilst mine was in, as you say its quite far for us so thats why it goes up there for the 'bigger' services, prices were honest/fair. :thumb:

Dogflaps said:
Phil 997 said:
crash7 said:
I used these guys for a PPI on a 996 Turbo a few years back, they were excellent, but as stated it was a little while ago.

http://www.jmgporsche.co.uk/

they did at one time have a good rep, less so in recent years. :nooo:

Yeah I had some work by them which seemed OK. Unfortunately I came away feeling somewhat ripped off. I won't go into it too much but I had an almost comical conversation partway through a job regarding their convenient "fixed pricing" :

garage: while part x is off, it makes sense for us to replace part y
me: ok, how much is that?
garage: we change part y for a fixed price of ££££
me: but surely that should be cheaper as you've already removed part x? You just told me that!
garage: but our prices are fixed......

It's a shame as they're convenient & sounded like they knew what they were talking about (to my non-mechanic ear!) but I just don't trust them now.

Yes I've not had good experiences with JMG either. At best they are very variable, at worst... probably shouldn't say on a public forum. I've had excellent results from RPM, Portsmouth OPC and a few other listed in this forum. JMG, less so!

Hi Dogflaps,

I am Jon Mitchell, owner of JMG Porsche. I am also the senior Porsche technician here with over 30 years experience and one of the technical advisor team of the official Porsche club of great Britain and the independent Porsche enthusiasts club.

I was made aware of your complaint here on 911UK earlier in the year, as although I have been a member of this forum for many years, the admins will I am sure confirm, I had not logged in for many years.

This is mainly because in my capacity with the two Porsche clubs, any spare time I had to keep an eye on forums, had to be focussed on those two Porsche clubs to an extent.

However with the advent of social media and the forums becoming less busy, I now have more time to join in on other forums like this one.

During the summer, having had my attention drawn to a couple of unhappy members, I had extensive chats with Phill997 here at 911UK as well as communicating with Sundeep.

Of the two or three unhappy posts about JMG I can find over a time period of many years, this one is one of those, so although I apologise that it is rather late, I thought it is better late than never.

I have extensively tried to track down the details of your complaint, but can find no email to us from you, or other details other than those you posted in your comment.

We do indeed have menu prices for many routine jobs on nearly all Porsche models.

All menu prices tend to be itemised for what parts are included, but with just one price to pay, the all in price, which also benefits the customer with the price being quoted as the only price they pay, even if the job turns into more of a problem than the best case scenario.

From your description of the conversation you had with us, it seems like what someone was trying to explain to you was that there is a menu price for the job you were asking to have done primarily, but also a menu price for performing the second job at the same time.

A good example of this would be a primary job of...

"Menu price clutch replacement" @ £XXX.XX

with a secondary job of...

"Menu price IMS Bearing upgrade during clutch" @ £XXX.XX

or

"Menu price rear main seal replacement during clutch" @ £XX.XX

If you were being advised to have a primary job of...

"Menu price spark plug replacement"

And we advised that while the coil packs were off, they were replaced, the following line would usually be listed as...

"--Coil packs being replaced at same time, only charged for in parts"

I am sorry this has resulted in you feeling ripped off, it was not our intention and should I have seen this post at the time, I would have been more than happy to write a reply.

In the future I will be more vigilant in this forum, but in the meantime will stress to staff that we need to take the time to be clear with customers on this, and if someone does not seem to understand the pricing system, that I should perhaps call them personally.

I will also message you directly in case you have any further information I should consider or help you with.

All the best

Hi MotiveAuto,

Not sure who you are, as the only information I have is your username, you only have four posts on 911UK, and all 4 are to post on three threads of someone having a bad experience at JMG.

However none of your posts mention how you have had a bad experience.

Can you PM me some details?

I did have a web designer, who owns a Porsche, and who had not been paid following developing the website for one of my competitors (who used to work for me), who said that they were using forums under different user names to sully others reputations. But I am sure this is not you.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smiggles772
Back