Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Active spoiler not operational

Your pretty much into a full strip down to see what going on .. so black metal panel out .. spoiler cable tubes and plastic drive assembly removed and opened up .

Working from memory there are x3 micro switches .. 2 for the up / down and one for the high level brake light .

If it makes a noise then as said .. its slipping .. as to why then you need to pull it apart to find out if its a repair or a replacement .

Manuals are here ..

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=83491

I would assume body external but i haven't looked , either way that's the entire Porsche instructions there for this model.

Spoiler is no different from a 98 to an 04 .

Yesterday I got a chance to strip down the complete active spoiler drive assembly and have learnt a lot about the inner workings of it.

All the wiring checked out and all 3 micro switches were fine.

The reason why my spoiler never got to top position and reached the final limit switch is because a few of the teeth in the plastic tracks have worn (see pic).

So the chances of getting hold of these is near impossible Im guessing?
They're both identical and are stamped 82822.

May ask a few friends if theres any chance of 3d printing them but that could prove difficult.

Failing that could I fit a fixed spoiler and how difficult is this?

Many thanks for all input so far......

Well I have successfully modified the teeth in the rack and pinion assembly so that both pieces slide end to end now.

I've attached a short video so anybody with similar issues can see what is meant to happen with both pieces needing to slide end to end so the spoiler fully extends and retracts.

That would be the part that was making the noise .. its slipping .

Nice job on a repair through .. i would have had to replace it .

learning is why we do this job though .. i learn every day :thumb:

Zen1 said:
Well I have successfully modified the teeth in the rack and pinion assembly so that both pieces slide end to end now.

I've attached a short video so anybody with similar issues can see what is meant to happen with both pieces needing to slide end to end so the spoiler fully extends and retracts.

Good work. How did you repair the teeth? Epoxy resin or something?

I didn't repair them as such.

The peaks of a few of the teeth has flattened so i just used a flat head screwdriver to shave just enough off so the metal cog never came up against any resistance.
There was fortunately still enough of these teeth for the cog to continue rotating and the racks to slide.

A good clean up of everything was also key as i found bits of debris and dirt.

I used plenty of silicone grease on all moving parts.

turbo S rear spoiler issued FIXED

maldren said:
Mine started sticking last year so I decided I was going to have to take it all apart and clean it. As it was halfway down, I gave it a thorough dose of lubricant, I can't remember whether it was WD40 (yes I know it's not really a lubricant) or GT85. It's been fine ever since...

Mine is a bit of a garage queen tbh so I decided it needed a bit of TLC so I put it in for a paint correct & detailing which included the engine bay

I picked it up a couple of weeks ago and I found a spoiler operation error message on the way home....first time ever I've had an issue with the car. The spoiler raised and lowered fine as far as I could tell, but the warning light wouldn't go off until I turned the engine off.

I was convinced they'd knocked one of the micro-switches but not being technically minded I gave the rams (which were showing no signs of oil leakage btw) a few squirts of WD40 then ran the spoiler up and down using the dashboard switch and I've never seen the warning light again.

Problem fixed

This has firmly reinforced in my mind that I need to use the car a bit more and perhaps get north of 70mph ( 8) ) to move the spoiler automatically.

PS - just love the car :thumbs:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smiggles772
Back