Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

CLR Project Leichtbau: adding lightness to the tune of 250kg

Bice Richard.....love the sound too

I'm only new into looking at car forums and just generally having a deeper interest in cars, but this is by far one of, if not the, best threads of any sort I've found relating to any sort of car. Truly an incredible and inspirational journey, that I hope will be a useful source when I hopefully one day get a 996 and start tinkering.

While I understand that such is unlikely to be anywhere near a priority for you, is there any chance of the drive by Jethro Bovingdon mentioned almost two years ago materialising? To see a video of him driving the car and hear his thoughts on it would be a really interesting way to round off the thread and progression of the car, as well as being immensely entertaining for anyone who's followed this thread for at least part of your journey through building the car.

Finally, is there a thread anywhere with the Lotus? If it is anything at all similar to this, it will undoubtedly be another great thread.

Good to see you've signed up the the official "add lightness" marque, Richie :)

F15hface said:
I'm only new into looking at car forums and just generally having a deeper interest in cars, but this is by far one of, if not the, best threads of any sort I've found relating to any sort of car. Truly an incredible and inspirational journey, that I hope will be a useful source when I hopefully one day get a 996 and start tinkering.

While I understand that such is unlikely to be anywhere near a priority for you, is there any chance of the drive by Jethro Bovingdon mentioned almost two years ago materialising? To see a video of him driving the car and hear his thoughts on it would be a really interesting way to round off the thread and progression of the car, as well as being immensely entertaining for anyone who's followed this thread for at least part of your journey through building the car.

Finally, is there a thread anywhere with the Lotus? If it is anything at all similar to this, it will undoubtedly be another great thread.

F15hface this post has struck a chord with me to get my a55 in gear. Since getting the car TUV Approved I've pretty much left the car in the garage and forgotten about it with so many other issues taking priority. I think I owe it to the car to get it perfectly set-up for a serious review. I will take the car to the best in the business over the next few weeks for some professional driver sessions and set up (Manthey Racing). Once fully sorted, I'll look at finally getting a video review done. I was previously in email contact with Jethro but since then he has started a new life over in the States. Although he would be my No.1 choice, if he is unable to take up the challenge I'll look into other options ;)
Regarding the other point you raise; I'm really overwhelmed to hear you value the content of this thread and if it one day motivates you to get into a 996 and start a similar journey then all my efforts have been worth it :thumb: Thank you

I made a little video today highlighting some of the key features on the CLR 996. I'm not one for being in pictures or videos. This is raw footage with no editing or preparation (either the car or myself), just a case of picking up my phone and running with it, so apologies in advance. I also forgot to go over many aspects of the car such as the steering rack, Polycarbonate windows, wiring loom alterations... but hopefully you catch the drift. Due to the size it is split into six parts including front and rear axle, exterior, interior, paint scheme, test drive and exhaust testing:

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6

Hi Richard, thanks so much for doing those. It's great to see the car in video as well as the thread pics.

Can you describe how you arrived at using no front anti-roll bar? I'm considering going with a base model Boxster one to try to reduce my front roll stiffness to improve low-speed turn in. I also have a lighter than standard front end, with 1 rad fan, no aircon gubbins, same battery as you, and no spare/toolkit.

Hi Martin, I would not recommend removal of the ARB for the reason you mention. In order to improve turn in I would adjust camber and toe angle, then alter the rake angle (+front bias).

I don't go into detail in the short clip but my primary reason for ARB removal was to reduce steering force load. Also bear in the mind I have around 250kg removed so besides the components you mention: all hifi/amps, carbon bonnet, carbon wings, Fuchs 17's and light Michelin tyres, forward brace, horn x1, batt tray, alarm, all associated bracketry...basically anything I could get away so there is probably at least another 50kg from the front end.

In removing the ARB you will indeed improve initial turn-in but this will be at the detriment of induced chassis flex, leading to roll and snap oversteer.

In unison with the completely altered geometry 52mm wider front track, lower castor angle, more camber, Ohlins and -18% weight I just about get away with it but this car was not designed with ultimate lap times in mind, I wanted to recreate handling of old, to make it more characterful and rewarding in all driving conditions.

I wish you were here today you could go for a test drive in my car and see what I mean (23.C and not a cloud in the sky ;) ). By all means whip your ARB off and try it but take it steady. I think you will be putting it back on again pretty sharpish unless you have gone to extreme lengths to counteract the inherent chassis dynamic changes I mention above.

Nice to see one of the all time best car threads living again, thanks for the video updates, I still want to know even more about the car though!
Ultimate road going 996 :thumb:

I tried no front anti-roll bar a couple of years ago whilst troubleshooting a knocking sound. It was pretty much as you say, much better turn-in but snap oversteer once the car loaded up past a certain point. It meant drifting roundabouts in the rain at 20mph was a cinch, but pressing on in the dry on long sweepers was something to really focus the reflexes. That's why the plan is to keep an anti-roll bar but go for something much softer than the M030 that's on there currently.

I do now have much stiffer shocks and springs on the rear, and that's what cured 80% of my understeer problems, but I'm still hankering after more front end bite and better ride. If I could afford them, then I'd go for Ohlins, but as it stands I think I'm going to re-valve my H&Rs as on full soft they're still too hard for anything but a smooth road.

Hi Martin, as a quick fix perhaps try a slightly stickier front tyre compound than the rear. It might fix your issue perfectly, something like a CUP2 up front and a MPSS4 on the rear. I would not normally suggest different compounds as side wall flex and other issues may be a negative side effect but for what you are looking for it may be a simple and cheap solution.

911munKy said:
Nice to see one of the all time best car threads living again, thanks for the video updates, I still want to know even more about the car though!
Ultimate road going 996 :thumb:

Thanks Munky, I do try to put most of the data and development on this site. I'll also look into options for video reviews ;)

Good update Rich.
Nice vids. I've only watched part one, but I'll get the rest watched soon.

Goodstuff! 8)

PS. You're one of those blokes that has a calming influence. I can't imagine you throwing spanners around when things don't go right, like I do. :grin:

ELA said:
Marky911 said:
Good update Rich.
Nice vids. I've only watched part one, but I'll get the rest watched soon.

Goodstuff! 8)

PS. You're one of those blokes that has a calming influence. I can't imagine you throwing spanners around when things don't go right, like I do. :grin:

My Mrs, doesn't quite see my antics as calming; well certainly not after this which I'm about to explain...

A slight thread deviation but I feel some of the readers here may find this of interest. Well I've just returned from a rather mental drive to Stockholm and back to collect my next car.

Details and LOTS of photos of this fantastic ALFA PROJECT have been moved to a separate thread.

Click Here -> CLR Alfa Project

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davey2233
Back