Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Looking forward to learning all about the 997

You need to stop posting pics of that vent, I'm already thinking about which jig saw blade is gonna be best to cut thro the bumper.

😳

I have the Aero kit from the factory, the centre low vent in the bumper is blanked with what can only be described as a pudding bowl ? Thinking of getting some Rennline vent guards, the bumper needs to come off as I need to get the rads cleaned out. Took about half a pound of grit and gravel out of the bottom of each the other week, there's some leaves visible so I want to get in there, thinking of fitting the 3rd rad as said but only if there is a means to extract the heat without hacking the under side of the bumper tray.

C4Silver said:
You need to stop posting pics of that vent, I'm already thinking about which jig saw blade is gonna be best to cut thro the bumper.

😳

I have the Aero kit from the factory, the centre low vent in the bumper is blanked with what can only be described as a pudding bowl ? Thinking of getting some Rennline vent guards, the bumper needs to come off as I need to get the rads cleaned out. Took about half a pound of grit and gravel out of the bottom of each the other week, there's some leaves visible so I want to get in there, thinking of fitting the 3rd rad as said but only if there is a means to extract the heat without hacking the under side of the bumper tray.

Not sure if my Aerokit was factory fitted. Haven't explored it yet and still waiting for my build data from Porsche. Yes. Pudding bowl is a great description. I have the same.

No grilles on either side unlike my mates GT4. Will have to look into these. Luckily, this car has been a dry day only car for the last 2 owners so my rads look pretty tidy. I believe the moustache vent become a heat outlet once you remove the pudding bowl. If you are going to fit the 3rd rad, you will need to open something up otherwise the rad will not have sufficient air flow as the void will simply fill with static air.

I quite like the moustache too.

Is it a 3.6 or 3.8? Either way I would do the third rad conversion as right now they are dirt cheap at £107 for all the parts from the dealer!!

Go to the 997 FAQ area for the thread on it and how to do it.

Well worth doing for spirited European driving, alpine passes and autobahn runs

Yes a gt3 is going to about 20mm lower than yours if yours is a 3.6 or 10mm if. 3.8 with pasm. They are bonkers Low which is why they always trash the front lower splitter

It's your car at the end of the day but badge delete is easy to do and the 911 badge looks nice I think. £11 off eBay too in black too

A gt3 is so much of a different experience over a normal Carrera it's hard to explain until you go out in one or live with one. It's a completely different machine with a race bred engine and suspension but it's loads more money and if you use it a lot then more to lose in depreciation

For me 997 gt3 is about as good as it gets and will get one one day as had a 996.2 for some time.

Enjoy the car and great choice. It's a great looking machine

C11 BRA

I'm keeping my eye on MC's excellent detailed rebuild thread where he has used the GT3 Chimney to vent up to the bumper, there's some spacers involved ? But keeping my eye out for some more info as and when he updates !

:bow:

NLW73 said:
Is it a 3.6 or 3.8? Either way I would do the third rad conversion as right now they are dirt cheap at £107 for all the parts from the dealer!!

Go to the 997 FAQ area for the thread on it and how to do it.

Well worth doing for spirited European driving, alpine passes and autobahn runs

Yes a gt3 is going to about 20mm lower than yours if yours is a 3.6 or 10mm if. 3.8 with pasm. They are bonkers Low which is why they always trash the front lower splitter

It's your car at the end of the day but badge delete is easy to do and the 911 badge looks nice I think. £11 off eBay too in black too

A gt3 is so much of a different experience over a normal Carrera it's hard to explain until you go out in one or live with one. It's a completely different machine with a race bred engine and suspension but it's loads more money and if you use it a lot then more to lose in depreciation

For me 997 gt3 is about as good as it gets and will get one one day as had a 996.2 for some time.

Enjoy the car and great choice. It's a great looking machine

I'll certainly look into the 3rd rad at that price. Wow!

The suspension has been modified & lowered on this car. It's incredibly firm & low. Great for me, but as a tourer, maybe too harsh. I'll look into options.

Undecided about badging. I'll give more thought.

Don't worry. I will tell everyone that it's not a GT3.

Like the look of this congrats on the new purchase,

I did notice this for sale I do like a Kitted car, My last two 996's have had Aero Kits a few people had mentioned putting a GT3 badge on but I said I never would as I wasn't trying to make people think it was! I said it's and C2 and do think most people that really know the brand would sooner know it's not a GT3 :wink: this isn't a dig at yours at all, I believe its completely fine and up to personal opinion, doesn't and shouldn't offend anyone,

Looks great mate enjoy It witch ever way you keep it, like you say you have only had it 5mins! you can tinker on what you feel looks better,

J

If I were you I'd leave the GT3 badges on, that way people will think it's a proper 911 and not one of those that melt like choglitt or chew thro IMS Bearings.

Lovely car, great colour and I love the mods BUT I'd definitely replace the GT3 engine cover badge with a simple 911 and replace the GT3 wheel centres with simple Porsche ones.

:thumb:

T8 said:
Lovely car, great colour and I love the mods BUT I'd definitely replace the GT3 engine cover badge with a simple 911 and replace the GT3 wheel centres with simple Porsche ones.

No better advice to be had 8) my zenith blue 996 had the aerokit , looked great but the GT3 boot badge it came with was off within 24hrs , replaced with a black 911 & slept so much better :)

I'll be very interested to see what the drive is like between the two.

Lovely looking car. Well done and congrats!
Lower dash in alcantara might be worth considering - it would go nicely with the rest of the alcantara and an easy diy job.

Did you sell the 996?

Great looking car :thumb:

Who cares what badge you have on it :dont know: up to you!

DucatiRob said:
Great looking car :thumb:

Who cares what badge you have on it :dont know: up to you!

:agree:

Don't get all the "take it off b0!!ocks..."

You paid for the car, you do what you want with it :judge:

I've read all that previously, I did chuckle at your cross questioning as I too couldn't fathom out how that worked out but as Bas so eloquently and expertly advises it then does read correct.

As far as I can gather and at risk of hijacking this thread this slows down warm up ? Which is a bad thing But helps cool the Oil when it gets hot which is a good thing ? I'll be fitted a thermostat to the 3rd rad inlet so if it's ever needed it'll open and come into use,

I won't be using mine over winter neither will I tracking it so there's not much point in me adding the kit, but I've bought it now and apart from anything else it will look good which is basically what having a 911 is all about.
Tinkering, tweaking and looking good.

As for running hotter, according to a source this Is accentuated by the use of Sport Plus, over revving by selecting the wrong gear at high revs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back