Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

key problem (frustration)

:sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

Unbelievable, totally unbelievable :x

My fresh key, bear in mind this is 5th time now, has quit again!

Over £1000 spent and I can only get weeks out of a key.
Guess I will be back at OPC Glasgow tomorrow morning......watch this space :?

Are you leaving them in your trouser pockets and then washing the trousers ???? ..

Sorry... i have actually seen this though .

Basically this can't happen .. it is though so there's something strange going on which is scrambling the key fob signal .

my limited understanding of these .. fob transmits a signal , alarm cu sees this , accepts it then returns a signal to the fob to roll on the code to the next listed .

Yours seems to be corrupted ..

how are the keys stored ? and thing that could influence them on an RF scale .

Power station , phones , pylons .. home security .. anything that transmits an rf signal on 433mhz basically .

I can't see the alarm control unit being at fault .. there is an antenna which if unplugged causes a weak reception range .. it tends to work if used on the passenger side and not the drivers side basically .

Either way .. it should be covered under warranty .. but that doesn't help you if it happens again .

Trousers, washed??????? Me :?: IS IT A LEAP YEAR ALREADY :floor:

I have had a close look at the keys and it looks like rather than replacing the faulty key head as I previously had been assured was what happened at the last visit ( and 3 day stay for my car at OPC ) I actually have the same key heads back and they have simply been re-coded.
So given that the culprit has seemed from the get-go to be a faulty key head, no surprise to see a repeat offence in almost exactly the same timeframe.

I am now firmly of the opinion that the Centre is just taking the Mickey, so Monday will see me in full grumpy mode demanding an audience with the dealer principal.

Erm .. er .. seriously ??

Have a good look at the invoice as i'm amazed they didn't replace the key fob .. recoding is a waste of time imho .

Trousers ..

A non politically correct story but as i've had a couple of beers im kinda past caring ..

I coded a key onto a Cayenne many years back .. it's a bit of a faff on these and i lost time .. time = bonus at an OPC so in essence i lost money .

Customer came back 2 days later and said it didn't work ..

Service advisor came up to me .. threw the key across the desk and said that key you coded dont work .. fix it .

I looked at the key .. i thought battery fault so undid the cover .. soapy water inside .. it's been in a washing machine ..

I went back out to said service advisor .. threw the key across the desk and said ..

Perhaps tell the customer that washing a key that was obviously in his trouser pockets is NOT going to get him a new one under warranty .. he has to pay for it now .

i think the customer paid but to be honest i didn't do the job at that point as neither of us was speaking to each other .

peterzoom said:
Trousers, washed??????? Me :?: IS IT A LEAP YEAR ALREADY :floor:

I have had a close look at the keys and it looks like rather than replacing the faulty key head as I previously had been assured was what happened at the last visit ( and 3 day stay for my car at OPC ) I actually have the same key heads back and they have simply been re-coded.
So given that the culprit has seemed from the get-go to be a faulty key head, no surprise to see a repeat offence in almost exactly the same timeframe.

I am now firmly of the opinion that the Centre is just taking the Mickey, so Monday will see me in full grumpy mode demanding an audience with the dealer principal.

When Wilmslow OPC picked up my car to fix a key under warranty they gave me no paperwork back.
The keys looked identical so I guess they recoded them.
I asked for paperwork especially around how long they would warrant the repair for......they declined and said there was no paperwork coming my way. They said that the 2y warranty on the key heads (both brand new heads just under 2y ago) would expire 2y point.

I really look after the keys, No bumps or bangs or drops. One of them failed 2 weeks ago- no red light flash. I did the upside down battery gig and it came back to life immediately.

I imagine OPC are as sick of these keys as we are and want to wash their hands of them as soon as possible.

Next time one of mine goes Fubar, I'm going to get one of the ebay guys to resolder it.

The update from me is that after I spoke with the Dealer Principal in Glasgow things moved on at a cracking pace.

He was astonished at how many visits I had had to make and has arranged for my car to be uplifted from home and a loan car left in its place while it is taken to the dealership to have new keys suppled at coded under warranty. He also has requested that the workshop do a thorough investigation on my car to double check that there is not some other issue on the vehicle that is causing the issue out-with the key heads themselves.

Fantastic service and I was very happy with the way my complaint was dealt with and the outcome. Full marks to the man at the top, I really appreciate his efforts on my behalf.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smiggles772
Back