Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

2001 C4 project car

You could buy a purple 996, but not a pink one as far as I know. I'd go for a Porsche colour that wasn't available on the 996. If you want to stand out it has to be rubystone (or one of the current greens or flat orange?). Sorry don't know the actual Porsche names of any of these!

I was hoping the roof and paint samples would have been done by the time I got back from my holidays but no such luck. Hopefully next week.
Prototypes for the pump have arrived, I can see a few minor details I need to fix, but looking good so far.

MC

Prototype pump assembled, ready for trying on the engine to check clearance tomorrow.

MC

Pump now trial fitted on the engine.

It fits OK, but I don't like the inlet to the second stage, so I'll be having a chat with Dammit about a second option we discussed some time ago and making some changes. It will delay it slightly, but better to be something we are both truly happy with than something done quickly.

MC

Great progress Martin. I've said it before but the electronics side of it fascinates me and baffles me in equal measure.

I vote Viola for the colour. Subtle yet stunning when the sun comes out.
I love Rubystone on the 964RS but that's about it.
I'm not sure it works on the 996. Just my 2p though.

Oh and do you think you'll have an engine in at least yours or Neil's by the end of summer? Or are you not too bothered anyway?

Which summer?

I hopefullly have one more prototype of the oil pump to do, which I hope to get done in the next few weeks, then the first proper one can be built. That will go in my standard C4 engine along with the new tappet chest. We are still a long way off getting the first full engine up and running. Current areas of work are:

Camshafts - Checking valve to piston clearance
Conrods - Working out correct length for desired CR in relation to above
Pistons - Checking if additional machining is required based on above
Valves - Order custom valves
Valve caps and springs - order and test
Tappet chest - modify design based on new valve length

Inlet manifolds - finish prototype design and test.

Those are some of the jobs we are working on.

MC

I popped in to OPC Nottingham to order a part and saw a car in Viola Metsllic, it really is pretty dark.

MC

MisterCorn said:
Thanks for the kind words guys. Progress has been a bit slow recently, things are going on in the background on the engine front, and hopefully soon on the bodywork, but nothing fun to share. I'm up to my elbows in doing an air con overhaul on an old Merc whilst the garage was free.....

I have put together a short video of my attempts with a stud extractor on the M96 engine exhaust studs. I'll do another one for using the Stomski jig when that arrives.

MC

Edited to update link to new version of video.

I had the same issue on my 997 C2s , I welded a nut onto the stud it worked a treat , the next step was to drill them out.

Great post keep up the good work.

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Interior slowly moving forwards.

MC

After a few minor technical issues which I won't bore you with, my modified rev counter and oil temperature gauge are now working in a car rather than on the bench :)

MC

Warm up data from my instruments, blue crosses are coolant temperature, blue circles are oil temperature. Scale is 40-90 degrees C. Speed in red and distance in magenta. You can see how the coolant temperature is pretty stable well before the oil temperature.

MC

Time to chose a colour. Rubystone or Ultraviolet?

MC

Ultraviolet of course :grin:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
911tt1
Back