Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Front suspension refresh, coffin arms etc

Ghianightmare said:
With regard to not replacing the upper links in the rear, while there might not be any play in the bush rubber hardens with age and it will affect the ride harshness which does affect handling.

I replaced all 14 arms and the suppleness of the ride is fantastic. My teeth no longer chatter driving over rough surfaces and i now use standard tyre pressure whereas i had dropped them slightly previously in accordance with the TSB.

Agreed, just do the lot if you plan to keep the car a few years, you won't regret it.

It will drive like new. I used low mileage 997 dogbones, but now you can get them at low cost from autodoc.

Re: Suspension refresh

Hughb said:
Thanks to all who have posted. That's a lot of useful and interesting info, even if there is a wide diversity of what is essential, desirable or even unnecessary to replace!

Interesting to hear that someone (Harlech) is at last replacing the ball joints on the original arms. As a newbie to all of this I found it odd that that you have to buy so much cast aluminium when all you really want to do is replace some bushes/ball joints. Leaving aside the poly bush option is it possible to get OE quality rubber bushings anywhere? Pressing out/in bushings is not exactly difficult (if you have a hydraulic press).

Yeah its annoying the balljoint isn't replaceable like many cars but I guess its down to Porsche wanting to keep the arms stiff and lightweight.

Usually the ball joint will be be worn as well as (or before) the bush so best just to replace. The only arm without a balljoint is the dogbones, as I say they are only £37 each from autodoc so not that expensive.

Ghianightmare said:
As Wasz says, they replace thew ball joint. They are done by a company in Czech Republic. they are powder blasted and have the latest standard bush fitted. i.e. the latest dash number. Thyy look like new when you get them.

I have used the Hartech arms as I wanted to be sure the weights and design were OEM.

Unless they've changed, I think they use Prokom in Slovenia to refurbish them. I contacted Prokom direct (via a Slovenian friend) and they are rather expensive so I went with Spyder and am very pleased so far.

Yes it's prekom in Slovenia - I got confused with my geography! The engine mounts are made in Czech Republic.

Yes it's prekom in Slovenia - I got confused with my geography! The engine mounts are made in Czech Republic.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smiggles772
Back