Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 cruise control retrofit - when not possible

318touring

Spa-Francorchamps
Just a quick question to members here: have you ever heard where retrofitting a cruise control, with the right parts of course, on a 997 is not possible or fails?

I brought my car to the indy, who only has Durametric and PIWIS 1, and they couldn't activate the function. I'm bringing the car to the OPC next week but want to make sure that there isn't a 997 model which wasn't built to take in a cruise control.

The problem in NZ is that there aren't a lot of 911s which means even my OPC might never have retotrofitted cruise control in a 997 before! I want to avoid the conversation where they are hesitant or even not wanting to do it because they don't know how.

I'm planning to give the instructions provided by Richard Hamilton on another board as it is quite clear and simple.

I've never heard of it. OPC retrofitted it to my 997.2. I remember they didn't want to do my 996, but even that proved possible for my Indy.

They just don't know what they are doing, ofcourse it is possible. Maybe you need PIWIS2.

Poker2009 said:
They just don't know what they are doing, ofcourse it is possible. Maybe you need PIWIS2.

Exactly, as PIWIS1 only goes up to 996.

Good to hear this confirmed from the others.

The indy has never done this on a 997 before.

It should take 2 minutes with a PIWIS2!

I also turned off the seat belt warning tone when I had mine done!

No, I did it several years ago, and a friendly chap on this forum had PIWIS2 and did it for me.

Not to be a wet blanket, but after all the effort I hardly ever use it, still it is a "nice to have" option! It just sort of completes the setup with what should have been four stalks in the first place.

Poker2009 said:
No, I did it several years ago, and a friendly chap on this forum had PIWIS2 and did it for me.

Not to be a wet blanket, but after all the effort I hardly ever use it, still it is a "nice to have" option! It just sort of completes the setup with what should have been four stalks in the first place.

Ah, that was handy.

I use cruise control all the time, on my old 996 as well as on my wife's BMW.

Well then it is "must have" for you! Good luck, you will have it sorted soon.

Poker2009 said:
Well then it is "must have" for you! Good luck, you will have it sorted soon.

Thanks, hopefully it will be painless, the OPC is going to call me on Monday to discuss this.

I've got a 1500 kms trip coming up, it'll be very handy to set the speed and just drive knowing that I'll exactly be at whatever speed I set.

I physically fitted my cruise control and coded it with my piwis2 clone. It was really easy and I cannot believe there is a 997 that doesn't support it.

Its likely the old piwis1/durametric that couldnt do it.

If I remember correctly it needs to be set in 2x places from the software.

Should be possible on any 997.
The issue with 996 was the early ones were not 'e-gas' ie electronic throttle.
All 997s are electronic.

I recall there are 2 places you need to code cruise too.

Not sure why the link didn't work.
Here is the part number

Cruise control

Automatic cruise control with speed range from 19 to 150 mph (30 to 240 km/h).

Part number: 997 044 903 00

Available for:
911 Carrera 911 Carrera Cabriolet 911 Carrera S More Models...
Price including fitment and painting from *
£ 552.00 incl. 20% VAT
£ 460.00 excl. 20% VAT

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Autocraft1
Back