Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Ceramic coating

DJones

Hockenheim
Hi guys,

Had the old girl detailed and ceramic coated. Needs to go back for the PPF to the front as no one has the template. A chap is going to come and digitise it.

Hope you like the photos.

Darren.

Attachments

• 2dea63fd_6a9b_4b24_8743_a0f3d6e1d683_944.jpeg
    2dea63fd_6a9b_4b24_8743_a0f3d6e1d683_944.jpeg
    86 KB · Views: 8,934
  • 354ea79a_6c0c_4445_a0b0_d613f218b9a5_662.jpeg
    354ea79a_6c0c_4445_a0b0_d613f218b9a5_662.jpeg
    76.8 KB · Views: 8,934
  • 90700cc7_67cd_47c0_87fd_64c2ebe9a49c_123.jpeg
    90700cc7_67cd_47c0_87fd_64c2ebe9a49c_123.jpeg
    82.3 KB · Views: 8,934
  • 08e972fc_0fbe_4911_999f_612f0683ee8f_164.jpeg
    08e972fc_0fbe_4911_999f_612f0683ee8f_164.jpeg
    86.1 KB · Views: 8,934
It looks great, but you really should apply the PPF before the ceramic coating. It's a lot of work to remove the ceramic coating to ensure that the PPF doesn't lift.

K888ETH said:
It looks great, but you really should apply the PPF before the ceramic coating. It's a lot of work to remove the ceramic coating to ensure that the PPF doesn't lift.

I agree, Tom the lad who runs the business will remove it from the front prior to installing the PPF but wanted to put some coating on it in the interim as it will be a couple of weeks before the chap is available to do the template.

DJones said:
I agree, Tom the lad who runs the business will remove it from the front prior to installing the PPF but wanted to put some coating on it in the interim as it will be a couple of weeks before the chap is available to do the template.

They're a reputable outfit, I had failed to realise who you had used. I have a couple of friends that have used Tom to detail their cars. I have no doubt that it'll be a good job.

Your car looks great, I really like the colour :thumb:

K888ETH said:
DJones said:

They're a reputable outfit, I had failed to realise who you had used. I have a couple of friends that have used Tom to detail their cars. I have no doubt that it'll be a good job.

Your car looks great, I really like the colour :thumb:

Thanks, yes he is a great guy. He's just completed my Ferrari too. First class job..

Attachments

• baf713b8_1d2f_4929_9eee_1422d415fdc8_211.jpeg
    baf713b8_1d2f_4929_9eee_1422d415fdc8_211.jpeg
    91.9 KB · Views: 8,800
Dream911 said:
Car looks awesome. Would love a 996 in Nogaro! :thumb:

Thanks, yes certainly does suit it..

I was about to get PPF for the front of my GT4 until the dealership applied a full ceramic coat by mistake so I ended up with a £700 detail for free :wink:

From what I've read it is like a glass compound and cannot just be 'wiped off' so PPF on top was a non starter. Some PPF companies say you can apply PPF over ceramic and some say No :dont know:

I've debated the PPF issue for ages and whilst it's good to a degree, it's a lot of dough and if you get a stone chip/scrape that cuts through it to the paint the whole lot has to come off which has risks in itself. Then you may have to address the paint damage.

I'm going without :oops:

This Link is a useful read as to the pros and cons of PPF

Zingari said:
I was about to get PPF for the front of my GT4 until the dealership applied a full ceramic coat by mistake so I ended up with a £700 detail for free :wink:

From what I've read it is like a glass compound and cannot just be 'wiped off' so PPF on top was a non starter. Some PPF companies say you can apply PPF over ceramic and some say No :dont know:

I've debated the PPF issue for ages and whilst it's good to a degree, it's a lot of dough and if you get a stone chip/scrape that cuts through it to the paint the whole lot has to come off which has risks in itself. Then you may have to address the paint damage.

I'm going without :oops:

This Link is a useful read as to the pros and cons of PPF

I agree, it's just that my Porsche seems t find every flying stone, just seems to chip so easy that I really need to try it. Tom at TKdetailing is a top bloke and has said he needs to remove it on the front prior to fitting the PPF. Not sure how it's removed but he said it's no different to how you remove it if you need paint work doing, I guess heavy compounding.

He'll then apply on top of the PPF. Didn't bother with it on the 488 though.

Darren.

:thumbs:

I remember when you used to drive it more than you cleaned it. ;-)

How many miles has it done since 2012. :?:

T8 said:
:thumbs:

I remember when you used to drive it more than you cleaned it. ;-)

Yikes, that takes me back.... about 4000.. to be fair I'm not a polisher my lads took up karting in late 2012 and it's been mad ever since almost every weekend and all around the country. They are just getting to an age where other things including drink are becoming more interesting so she's going to be getting used again in the not to distant future....

Thanks for the memory..

Darren.

How many miles has it done since 2012. :?:

PPF- actually protects against minor dings and scratches.

Ceramic Coating - Think of this as an extra layer of clear coat. It provides a very thin later of protection similar to clear coat that adds a nice glossy look but also makes the car more hydrophobic and repels most substances.

Most folks add PPF for protection, and then Ceramic is more for ease of maintenance. You can indeed (and should) do both. It really depends on your priorities when it comes to car care & detailing, but I think it's odd to go the ceramic coating route without PPF.

DJones said:
[Not sure how it's removed but he said it's no different to how you remove it if you need paint work doing, I guess heavy compounding.

He'll then apply on top of the PPF. Didn't bother with it on the 488 though.

Darren.

When I had mine removed off the front end for PPF installation the company I used, used a chemical to remove it. Think it might have even been alcohol / alcohol based, but might be wrong about that being the chemical.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back