Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Bore Scoring Paranoia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Original post

chunkymonkey1982 said:
Hi Folks, ive recently bought a 997.2, 2010, 3.6l, 60kmiles, had been looking a while and went for the 997.2 on the basis that I had heard these were bullet proof engines - so no PPI :( and a private seller who seemed very honest. Since being on this forum and doing a bit of research it seems that 997.2 also suffer from bore scoring. I have no idea what these engines are meant to sound like, but I do hear all sorts of clicking noises when listening to the engine on idle. I do not see any smoke on start up unless its parked at a banked angle. Ive done 1200 miles with about 200ml oil loss mainly because I changed the oil filter to see if there were any metal particles in it (there were none). Had a 111point check done by a OPC, they flagged a number of yellow issues but nothing with the engine.

My head says everything is fine, it certainly goes like a rocket so seems mechanically fine but I am a bit paranoid that there could be something wrong.

Original posters final comment.

chunkymonkey1982 said:
Thanks for the advice, decided to keep an eye on oil usage and not do the borescope. If there is a problem i'll just have to get t repaired!...

Thread closed. :thumb:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stulees65
Back