Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Beginners Tools For 996

Moko

Nurburgring
So to save money and learn some new skills Im going to have to do some of the work on my 996.

I have some tools mostly the sort of thing for doing DIY / electronics but hardly anything for mechanical work so what would you recommend me to buy to do the simpler tasks on the 996 ( I don't think i will be trying to do an engine rebuild) but more service type tasks.

This set looks pretty good value https://www.amazon.co.uk/hz/wishlis...wishlist_lists_1?_encoding=UTF8&type=wishlist

But I guess I am going to need a torque wrench to go along side it.

Thanks for any advice/suggestions

David

I ise the Halfords Professional socket sets, buy them when on offer which is pretty regularly. A good quality torque wrench, ideally a 1/2" and 3/8". A decent set of combinations spanners, again Halfords Professional. Then for the less commonly used a set of offset ring spanners, 1/2" drive socket set, impact sockets, deep sockets, full screwdriver set. That lot will cover most jobs for a few hundred quid.

Pry bars, mallet, 3/4" drive socket set with length of scaffold tube. All depends what jobs you want to do.

MC

Most things you will accumulate as you go but as MC says a good socket set with plenty of socket sizes is a great start. Add to this a big breaker bar, decent low profile jack, axle stands, an open ended spanner set and a decent torch and you should be fine to start most jobs.

It is worth getting some specific tool for the car you have e.g.

Oil filter removal tool
buy a set of Allen keys and socket type bits for your ratchet as you will use these for many diy jobs like sump plug, coils, brake callipers
Set of torx bits for socket

And then general stuff

Box of nitrile gloves to protect your hands from dirt
Pair of mechanics gloves - lidl sell them occasionally
Set of the Halfords foam mats to lie on
Brake cleaner aerosol
A good penetrant spray
A good degreaser
A good work led light - not just a torch.
A set of drifts - wheel arcs liners have plastic pins that need to be pushed out and a proper sized drift will help

And for bigger jobs i find a small piece of plastic, visa make a good one, with a flexible upper limit quite useful. Can be kept in the glovebox.
Rick :lol:

segart said:
And for bigger jobs i find a small piece of plastic, visa make a good one, with a flexible upper limit quite useful. Can be kept in the glovebox.
Rick :lol:

I agree, great for those unexpected tool purchases. :D

MC

Any recommendations on what size / type torque wrench to buy?

I guess most jobs will need the wheels to come off, so they will need tightening and the oil filter/drain plug is something else that will need tightening correctly.

At some point I guess some suspension and engine mounts might need doing.

So something that's available in the UK....every website seems to just recommend Craftsman which is great if you are in US

Halfords do a decent 1/2 inch and 3/8 torque wrench. Gets trade card or someone with one and they'll be cheaper. Teng do an excellent 1/4 torque wrench.

If I was to go out shopping today to do 90% of the jobs on my car, list would look like this:

Halfords socket set - £65:

https://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/tools/socket-sets/halfords-advanced-90-piece-socket-set

Halfords set of Spanners - £22:

https://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/tools/spanners-wrenches/rolson-32pc-spanner-set-crv-polished

Trolley Jack - £35:

https://www.halfords.com/workshop-t...jacks/halfords-2-tonne-hydraulic-trolley-jack

Axle Stands - £16.82:

https://www.diy.com/departments/torq-2-tonne-jack-stand-for-vehicle-lifting-pack-of-2/226964_BQ.prd

Ramps (with extensions for lower cars or you'll need a couple of planks of 8"x2") - £35:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/391939459375

Then you have all the smaller stuff like set of Allen Keys, Torx bits, screwdrivers, etc.

LAST BUT NOT LEAST - 500ML CAN OF WD-40

They do a set with loads in at Halfords. Worth buying when it's half price as it often is on some offer. You'll need a 1/2, 3/8 and 1/4 ratchet at some point so just buy the lot

As others have said above, Halfords tools are excellent VFM when on sale.
NEVER be tempted to buy cheap no brand tool sets as there is a high chance they will fail when the going gets tough.

IMO one of the most important aspects of mechanics is to have the correct mindset and sufficient time before you start a task. Get a good manual, read the forum, accrue your tools and plan for the job ahead, it often doesn't go as planned. Don't pull your car apart on a Sunday to change the suspension if it is needed for Monday morning! Eventually your experience will increase and tasks become easier.

Corroded bolts are often the biggest problem therefore:
Plus gas - soak several times and sometimes several days in advance
Breaker bar
6 sided impact sockets.
Copper/Ally grease for reassembly (never reuse damaged fixings)
Blow torch/ heat gun
Take your time.

And most importantly when you jack your car make sure it is ROCK SOLID STABLE and well supported as you could be under it hammering away when it falls.

.....and always have a redundancy plan - 3"x2" wood cut down to around 8" pieces (so they look like house bricks) packed under another couple of places so if your axle stands fail, you're safe.

Thanks Alex...I've already invested in some WD 40 :D

Does the trolley jack fit under a standard 996? Mine doesn't have any fancy suspension or side skirts etc?

Thanks for all the advice, yes safety is most important and I won't be crawling under the car until I've got the proper stands and a decent jack. Is it worth buying those hockey puck things to protect jacking points?

My first job is going to be fixing the reversing lights on my Tiptronic so that's all nice interior stuff I think the worst that can happen is I stub myself with a Torx driver.

Yes should do. I usually like at the jacking point then lower onto axle stands on the subframe where the coffin arms bolt in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stulees65
Back