Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

My new baby 3.4 Carrera 2

Welcome , lovely colour, look forward to the work in progress up dates :thumbs:

Love the colour and it really suits the unfussy, clean shape of 996.

Welcome, what a colour :thumb:

Thank you for the kind comments guys :)

The interior is Metropole Blue Leather with Nephrite Green Trim.

As you might be able to see another one of the more urgent jobs is the handbrake adjustment...

Owning a 944 Turbo I was happy :?: to find it is the same brake shoe mechanism with the fiddly adjuster barrel inside the brake disc :floor:

Wh1t3Kn1ght said:
Thank you for the kind comments guys :)

The interior is Metropole Blue Leather with Nephrite Green Trim.

pls expand on that... pics if poss.. (has someone replaced green seats, dash etc.. do you think?)

edh said:
pls expand on that... pics if poss.. (has someone replaced green seats, dash etc.. do you think?)

Not sure what you mean? Picture posted above, interior is original.

Wh1t3Kn1ght said:
edh said:

Not sure what you mean? Picture posted above, interior is original.

I assume it was the reference to nephrite green. I couldn't see any!

Griffter said:
I assume it was the reference to nephrite green. I couldn't see any!

Ah - bad photo you can see the dash and trim is two-tone, so some bits are metropole blue and other bits are nephrite green. Will get a better picture when I drive the car on the weekend :)

Managed to adjust the handbrake mechanism on Saturday - easy job all in all though the first time I've raised the rear of the 911.

I will put the jack stands on the factory jack points next time but didn't have anything to cushion them from the jack stands to used the cross member for the stands instead.

Nice colour. I'm new on here myself. Got some great tips and feed back from members. Read through some of the members projects for some first class info. Some one here will have an answer for virtually any question you could have.

Right time I did some work on this car :D

I bought the Miltek Cup (cat back) system in order to replace my original silencers and also have the flange gaskets ready to tackle the cat to manifold flange leak.

So I started last weekend and got the car up on my Sealey plastic ramps. Everything came apart pretty easily, the only complicated bit was removing the air box to get to the lambda sensor wiring and then working out how the cable connectors came apart.

All but one of the nuts on each exhaust flange had completely disintegrated so all I had to do was saw off the remaining blob with a hacksaw and then the flange was free. I borrowed the neighbours angle grinder to get the cat to silencer clamps off. The silencer mounts came off relatively easy with a combination of penetrating fluid, socket with extensions and a ratchet wrench.

The studs on the cat flange were completely welded together so I dropped them off at a local garage to see if they could free them up. Whilst I was there they offered to remove the lambda probes too so I could put new grease on the threads.

Unfortunately I called him today and he said that he'd had to smash the lambda probes to get them removed. Needless to say I was pretty pissed and told him that he should have contacted me before destroying them as I'd also not wanted them to be removed in the first place. I received an apology but now I have to wait for new lambda probes as Opie are awaiting stock and cp4l are showing 3-4 days. So now my original plan of getting the exhaust refitted on Saturday has gone out of the window.

He used a pretty interesting way of freeing the studs from the flange by cutting a slit into the flange for each stud to release the pressure.

Now I'm just waiting on replacement lambda sensors :frustrated:

The silencers removed were pretty rotten and I can hear stuff loose inside if I give them a shake. No wonder it sounded pretty bad with the corrosion so bad that the fasteners had mostly decomposed!

Can't wait to get the new silencers on! Before I removed the cats I started the engine without the silencers just as an experiment - now that was loud!

Happy New Year Folks!

I've been absent for awhile.

I had a unfortunate incident where I cracked my windscreen back in September whilst fitting a new dashcam and after getting several quotes which the Insurance company were happy with I ordered the windscreen from my local Porsche Dealer (Tewkesbury) who were also going to arrange the fitting of the windscreen with their preferred local fitter (not a national franchise / company).

So last week I dropped my car off with them to have the windscreen fitted, took them a bit longer than anticipated as they hadn't ordered all the seals that were required. I turned up to collect the vehicle and duly noticed that the headlining had not been reattached (could see between the headlining and roof when looking at the car from the front). I was asked if I would mind the local fitter giving me a call to come and sort out the issue at my home. Not having time to think I agreed and set off home, getting up to motorway speed I noticed some wind noise which I'm sure wasn't there before. So after returning home I call Tewkesbury and tell them that I would rather they sort out the issues directly with their contracted installer to which they agreed.

Flash forward to yesterday - my car had been booked in with my local garage for its annual MOT but Porsche Tewkesbury offered to do this for free while they sorted out the windscreen...

Today I get a call to say that were ever so sorry but your car has failed the MOT on several items (previous MOT expires on 27th Jan).

Fuel cap seal
Front registration plate (font too small) - stick on plate, full plate was in the front trunk
Offside Front Lower Suspension arm pin or bush excessively worn

I'm then told incorrectly that the car cannot be driven and they cannot return the vehicle to me, after explaining about the plate and then questioning about the fuel cap seal and lower suspension arm, I'm told they are happy to carry the work out, but I explain I'm not happy as I wouldn't be in this predicament if they hadn't messed up the windscreen fitting in the first place! I'm advised that they will ask the service manager to call me.

After 30 minutes or so same person calls me back and tells me that they can return the vehicle as it wasn't classed as a dangerous fault and my old MOT is still valid until the 27th...

I'm going to replace the front arms anyway as part of a suspension freshen up I had already planned to do, I even have the box of parts sitting behind me as I type - so wasn't prepared to pay the porsche tax on the OPC coffin arms (£290 each). I've asked to see what they would have charged me so I can have a good laugh... :floor:

So hopefully the 996 will be back on the drive again this evening and away from those wicked people at Porsche...

I forgot to finish the exhaust install blog :mrgreen:

Well got it all fitted a few months back now after my new lambda sensors arrived!

Seems like we have similar tastes. Milteks and a 944T, both of which I have and had :)

Think these boxes give best of both; not in your face loud, but bark when when needed.

Only just seen this
Welcome to the 996 club

There's been quite a few new members recently with lots of early 3.4 996.1 cars :grin:
These seem to be picking up quite a following now... and rightly so :D

Car looks lovely and love the colour (as others have said)!
Enjoy :thumbs:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smiggles772
Back