Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Wanted 997.1 coupe Auto late 2005

allenh

I'm looking for a 997.1 coupe auto

Don't mind in principle if it's 3.6 or 3.8, but looking for higher spec car e.g. heated seats, nav, sport chrono, PASM

The car I'm looking for should have the late 2005 uprated IMS bearing but be before the march 2006 VED increase. I could go earlier if it's had an aftermarket upgrade to IMS.

Budget is around £18k

Not much to ask for!

I think you should change your username to wbac. :D

google it

ps. Good Luck with your quest. :thumb:

I think it stands for, we buy any car,
Suggesting your budget I a little optimistic,

But good luck with your search

Thanks for the comments guys! I think!

Actually, I'm pretty nerdy and have a big (ish) spreadsheet of cars, specs and prices. I've also called a few sold cars to ask how much they actually took in the end.

To give one example a car that matches my spec (including it had PSE) sub 90k miles recently went for somewhere about £18.5k

I've just seen a manual 06 C4 3.6 for £19k with a good spec and sub 90k miles.

I've also driven a C2S auto 05 last Saturday and I was offered it at £15.5k (slightly risky history). and by the way, aside from a few issues (ac not working) that car drove fantastically well.

There are cars on the market above £20k, but unless they are exceptional e.g. below 50k miles, I don't think they are realistically priced.

It's an interesting market, but I don't think £18k is a mile away from reasonable.

If I had to say something about sellers being in a slightly stronger position I would say that the market lacks both demand and supply. There aren't that many buyers, but there aren't that many good cars around.

Budget sounds fair enough to me, but not loads of choice.

Make sure to get a borescope done, particularly on a tiptronic 3.8

Yes, I have done a bit of research and realise that the bore scoring is more prevalent on the 3.8 and on the tiptronic.

The difficulty is that I can't afford a low miles car.

In my favour is the logic that
- bore scoring only affects a small percent of cars
- higher mileage cars may be less risky because if it was going to happen it already would have (although this logic is less good for bore score than for IMS)
- bore score is cheap and easy to diagnose (expensive to fix though)

I'd rather get a 3.6 but if a good 3.8 comes up I'll go for it - which is fairly likely as they tend to have a higher spec.

It's a shame that porsche themselves have not publicised the exact cause of the scoring to help owners.

If I have to spend £10k on an engine rebuild at least I can divide it by the 3 years that I'll own the car.

I've bought one.

So that thread has ended.

I got a low mileage one in the end.

allenh said:
I've bought one.

So that thread has ended.

I got a low mileage one in the end.

:congrats: Details and pics please.

Yep, come on....... spill.....

I've been at it for more than 2 years..... casually tracking the sale of 997.1's

I wouldn't admit to being a nerd mind...... but I had a fairly long tick list and had given up the ghost when all of a sudden wallop !!!!! It cost me a lot more than 18k tho 😬

The list comprised of, Must be C4S, grey or silver, black interior, manual only, PSE, sports seats, heated seats, PCM, sub 50k miles, full OPC history,

I got there in the end, be interesting to see your spec, price etc,

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
911tt1
Back