Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

2004 997 Gen1 Carrera 2S

Exciting great looking car & so much fun to drive them, I cant stop nipping out in my 911 just for the fun of it, personally I like your colour combo :thumb:

Had mine over 5 years now and never realised there was an engine bay light! :eek: :grin:

Has it had IMS done and get the bores checked!

Good to see some brave people out there still! :)

Get a cheapo SSK from ebay (£30 or so, had mine 2 years at least, transforms the shift!), only other mod I've done is to change the head unit as PCM2.1 is literally useless!

Enjoy :) If you fancy a little drive in it bring it up to Classics at the Goat, Hertford Heath, 1st Sunday of every month :)

So, I have been using the car a bit now and have also undertaken its first journey of any decent length (250 miles round trip).

It sits very well at speed, with no pulling to either side when cruising or under braking. Engine seems responsive as it should be and I averaged 24 mpg which feels about right I suppose. The "frunk" swallows a surprising amount of luggage if packed carefully. My wife and I were able to go away for a few days with nothing inside the car.

Heinous rattle from behind passenger door trim will be investigated, and the "warm" air con is a right pain and makes the car very stuffy. I am gradually amassing a few bits and pieces and after my impending holiday will get to work fitting them.

Overall, I am really pleased with the car and not is a joy to drive.

Update Time

So, time for an update.

You will recall that I mentioned a rattle from the passenger door. I took advantage of a couple of days off of work to take a look. First discovery was that only three of the five T30 bolts were present securing the door card. Then, once it was off, virtually all the speaker securing screws were loose or missing - it looks like at some point upgraded speakers were fitted, and then removed in a hurry for selling the car. I carefully laid the wiring back in the tidy connectors as it should be, and then found this little chap clattering about...

After re-securing that earth lead properly, and tightening everything else up, plus replacing the missing bolts, I now have the satisfaction of a dead quiet passenger door. Excellent, as I hate rattles.

I then set about removing the centre console to fit a quickshift kit. The various bits came off easily enough, and I was careful not to scratch or damage things as I went. When I undid the centre console drivers side leather bolster, this little lot dropped down.

Anyone like to conjecture what is going on here?

After that, it was reasonably simple. The kit I purchased was the common or garden eBay kit, but I was impressed with the quality of the components. It is a bit daunting at first completely removing the gearshift and mounting, but have the courage of your convictions and it is actually quite an easy job. Just be methodical.

After careful reassembly, gear change quality is light years better than the old floppy lever, I have no rattles around the passenger door or centre con sole now, and the car is even better to drive.

Next up, a new stereo to replace the dreadful Porsche unit.

good update :)
I would imagine the inline connector shows that at some point it had an aftermarket stereo fitted, and that is probably where they tapped in for the power?

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I think you've fitted the gear lever the wrong way around (the chrome bit)... when those kits come in from china the gear lever is fitted pointing towards the passenger side for the LHD market (which is much larger than the RHD one), you'll need to remove it, undo the fulcrum nut, press out the bolt then turn the lever back the other way and refit. Or you could just live with it pointing away from you :thumb:

I agree with Hertsdriver.

I had to swap mine around when I fitted one to my 996. Great mod though. Loved it.

Ah! That all makes sense thank. Reverse gear is somewhere near the passengers knee now - oooh-errr!

I will be taking it out again shortly to do the stereo and run aux leads etc., so I'll turn it around then.

Thanks for helping out anyway - I am feeling my way as its my first Porsche (discounting the 914-engined Beetle I put together when I was 18 years old ). :D

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back