Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 good price my old car

Rhodris-dad

Imola
Well! Nearly 12 months on and my old car is STILL being advertised by a dealer on Autotrader!

I can't believe that nobody has bought it.

I consider the price to be low and they still can't shift it :dont know: (not much more than what I received in PX)

I'm glad I didn't try to sell it privately :floor:

Maybe the dealer has a poor reputation :dont know:

Black 2010 4S PDK 70k all the important options.

The motor trade is very fickle ....good job I'm not a dealer........I'd have a showroom the size of a Heathrow hanger full of unwanted cars :floor:

It is a good price, however you are correct that they don't have a great reputation.

Do you buy your 991 from them?

Its a beauty, but the mileage kills it. I bang on about mileage and everyone takes the P***, but drive em, they depreciate heavily to the point where the price needs to be stupidly low to shift on. A 70,000 mile Porsche is like a 120,00 mile ford. :nooo: In a crap markey only the low milers shift quickly.

That place usually has some decent cars. Piqued my interest with a California they had for sale :roll:

benbuhagiar said:
It is a good price, however you are correct that they don't have a great reputation.

Do you buy your 991 from them?

No. I went on a Sunday drive and ended up at Wilmslow OPC.

They had an event on and offered low APR....so a deal was done! :D

spongebob squarepants said:
Its a beauty, but the mileage kills it. I bang on about mileage and everyone takes the P***, but drive em, they depreciate heavily to the point where the price needs to be stupidly low to shift on. A 70,000 mile Porsche is like a 120,00 mile ford. :nooo: In a crap markey only the low milers shift quickly.

I understand that a lower mileage car will always sell quicker in this country, so I take that point.

I am sure I read somewhere that 8k miles per year is an average for Porkers, so that brings the car into that range.

The price being asked for the car IS low (autotrader points this out) and the dealer bought it at auction for £36k (according to someone on this site who keeps an eye on the auctions).

They have dropped their price by £1k in the 10 months or so and I think it is still cheap. I haven't looked recently at prices, but the last time I looked, low milers were at £50k.

70k on a DFI engine is nothing. Elsewhere on this site, we have heard from Baz at Hartech how reliable the motor is.

I bought it at just over 3 years old with 48K for £45 (1 OWNER). 4.5 years on with 22k added, I got £35k trade in. So I don't think I did too bad.

Only a set of rear discs and pads that weren't covered by warranty....

oh and a non Porsche battery that had to be replaced with a new Porsche one at warranty renewal.
:frustrated:

I am sure I have seen other 70k examples shifted much quicker. Seen a 120k 991GTS shift in about 2 months. Yes is was about £20k cheaper than a 20k equivalent.

Because it's simply not true. There're a couple of nice 15k mile 997 turbos that haven't sold since I bought mine two years ago. Cars sell on price and who wants them. Obviously if a car has fewer miles and the same price it'll sell quick, but in the real world people up the ask and so it doesn't sell. You speak like low miles is quick fix to selling quick whatever the price, it's not. The only way to sell quickly is to under price it (but not so much people suspect they smell a rat) relative to it's competition, that's universally true, at all price points and mileage. It's called a market.

Rhodris-dad said:

I am sure I have seen other 70k examples shifted much quicker. Seen a 120k 991GTS shift in about 2 months. Yes is was about £20k cheaper than a 20k equivalent.

My point exactly...

The only way to sell quick is to price very cheap compared to your competition, without entering too-good-to-be-true territory. However dealers don't want to race to the bottom so they prop up the market and sit out long waits.

Rhodris-dad said:
I am sure I read somewhere that 8k miles per year is an average for Porkers, so that brings the car into that range.

For 996s and 997s I think that figure is a bit high.

6.5k is probably a bit nearer based on --> http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=12...ostorder=asc&highlight=average+milage+mileage

For 991s I think it will be higher as many seem to have been well used in their first 3 years.

Either way, sadly, in the market place 70k does seem to be a big turn off for many potential buyers and unless they are very competitively priced against similar cars with c50k miles they will hang around for quite a while.

Cars with very low mileage tend to be priced at very high asking prices but do seem to find a home eventually.

Ishay said:
Rhodris-dad said:

My point exactly...

The only way to sell quick is to price very cheap compared to your competition, without entering too-good-to-be-true territory. However dealers don't want to race to the bottom so they prop up the market and sit out long waits.

I agree.........

But in this case, I thought it was priced low. According to the advert, Autotrader says "Low Price" at the top....not "Good Price" as for some other adds.

This is why I do not understand why it hasn't sold..........2 owner car, average mileage, good specs, low price :?:

Just think it's a shame to see a good car sitting on the forecourt not being driven.

........unless people disagree that it is a low price of course :dont know:

£38k seems about right for a 71k miles car. RSJ have one very similar at the same money.

The market has fallen in the last 6 months. You'll find 2010 cars with 40k miles for c£45k nowadays and many will prefer that option. Similarly early 991 (non S) cars with 65-70k miles are starting to creep down to that sort of price.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robinld56
Back