Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

In for a penny.........

Another thing I had not really given much thought to prior to the build, which head studs to go for? More choice than I was expecting and fair to say a wide price range too. The ones which came out were all in decent condition and could have possibly gone back in. Like for like was a definite option as were slightly cheaper alternatives. In the end though I decided on the ARP replacements. All reviews of these studs were favourable so I took a deep breath and said yes to these shiny beauties that no-one will ever see but I know they are there. A bit of bling!
dOw7Lf2.jpg

kZIV7lg.jpg

nPYUJLT.jpg

vrAEVU8.jpg

How many miles were on the engine before the strip down chum :dont know:

Can't beat a red fan blade :thumb:

Zingari said:
How many miles were on the engine before the strip down chum :dont know:

Can't beat a red fan blade :thumb:

The miles were relatively low at just 117,000ish but some serious oil leaks and several other age related issues meant it was time to dive in. Had I not had the paint done I dare say a few more years would have been no problem but I wasn't happy with the oil film which was being deposited on the engine cover after every journey.

Red was the popular choice for the fan but I nearly went outside the box with a bright yellow!

Hi Thomas,

Are you doing the work yourself? Just wondering as I have one snapped head stud and I'm wondering whether to pay for work (our local Indie near OPC Newcastle) or do it myself? My engine has been rebuilt before so I shouldn't have to do much more than replace all the studs and fix a few leaks - he said optimistically.

Cheers
Steve

Mr Bacchus said:
Hi Thomas,

Are you doing the work yourself? Just wondering as I have one snapped head stud and I'm wondering whether to pay for work (our local Indie near OPC Newcastle) or do it myself? My engine has been rebuilt before so I shouldn't have to do much more than replace all the studs and fix a few leaks - he said optimistically.

Cheers
Steve

Hi Steve, anyone who knows me and spanner's knows that this work is beyond my apprentice abilities. D&G are the fellas looking after my car nowadays and I would have no hesitation in recommending them, good rates and easy to work with.

Hi Thomas,

Thanks. Its is indeed D&G who have quoted me for the work, they found the snapped stud during my last service, bit of a theme there!

I'm conflicted with the 'do it myself but don't have the time' versus 'pay D&G but I know I could do it myself' - I think I know the answer.

I don't suppose you (or anyone) knows if you have to split the brake/hydraulic circuit to get the engine out. That circuit is my least favourite thing about C4s, allegedly needing the mythical Bosch Hammer to go anywhere near it.

Steve

Hi Steve,

If you have the time and the knowledge/skills then probably something to fill the winter nights with. Unfortunately I have little of either and my garage barely fits the car in so scuppered on all fronts when considering much DIY.

Not sure on the brake system, although I seem to remember reading that the clutch is somehow connected to the C4 brake system and I guess that would all need to be disconnected to remove the engine so it may well be that you'd need to split it. I agree it seems to be a complicated system and not something I would go near without some training.

As I get older I am less inclined to risk pulling something apart which I could ruin. Especially as these cars are becoming harder to work on without breaking something due to rusted/seized bolts and fasteners. That and the cost implications if you get it wrong.

All that said I do still dive in if I feel it's within my skill level.

Hi Thomas,

Greta to seeing you moving forward with your project. ARP studs are well recommended, Nick Fulljames put a heavy duty set in mine and he knows a thing or two about air/oil-cooled engines.

Bet you can't wait to get it all boxed up again. :thumbs:

Cheers,
Paul

Looking forward to seeing this engine build pal. You won't regret any dollars spent on it :bandit: You'll kick yourself later if you do :popcorn:

Moving swiftly along and the boys made great progress once all the parts landed in the workshop. All powder coated and new bits of tinware, plated bits and bobs, new bolts, blasted and machined casings and all manner of other things which I would never have even thought about.
The cylinders were in very good condition with virtually no wear, they must be made of strong stuff! No photos of them cleaned up unfortunately!
Anyway now for the bits!
Y11fR0o.jpg

om0FWr5.jpg

TlxNGk1.jpg

bCoLSlq.jpg

QxtuYZ6.jpg

Anyone who has ever done an Airfix kit is going to love the next photos. Lots of parts all ready to be put together.
rEXXA24.jpg

twjxuk4.jpg

Zn1Jh06.jpg

mPszAJw.jpg

rpXiT9o.jpg

Another couple of photos of parts ready to go together. Quite satisfying to see everything cleaned and laid out.
UevVQfZ.jpg

WqMhiN2.jpg

I'm enjoying reading this Thomas, but with mine now tentatively booked for mid-September I'm starting to feel a bit nervous :grin:

Cheers

Coming together nicely with all the powder coated parts looking fresh and complimented by a few new pieces. Bye bye oil leaks!
OSjMAqH.jpg

ElHgc6l.jpg

mdqikI2.jpg

FdLuGN2.jpg

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back