Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Bore Scoring Paranoia

Status
Not open for further replies.
997 Coast said:
I own a 2005 March build gen 1 S Engine number confirms better bearing. Ok clutch water pump etc I get replaced - Biggest shock WAS THE PRICE FOR THE PASSENGER SIDE 18 position switches - its about £340 - two front shocks at around £800 pair. SUPERSPRINT manifolds and exhausts etc the list amounts along with major and minor every year amounts to around £11,000 to keep it tip top

HOWEVER - I know its only a gen1 - and some of you regard this model as somewhat chocolate
:bandit:

Well mine does not have bore scores - just scuffs - Enjoy

Gen 2 cars are bomb proof :grin:

Or of course the ultra bomb proof king of the naturally aspirated, the 991.1 :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

bazhart said:
There are of course some issues with Gen 2 engines (as with any other manufacturers products) but they are so rare that they would not be considered worth worrying about unless there are very obvious signs and performance deterioration or very high oil consumption. Any faults resulting in bore scoring would be more likely to occur in winter or after an overheating issue of some kind.

We did post when we received some cars with engine faults in order to establish how common they were and we also sorted out some repair options but since then have had not one enquiry - so you would be very unlucky if your is faulty.

Don't worry - enjoy it.

Baz
:bow: :bow:

THE man hath spoken...no need to read any other posts.

spongebob squarepants said:
997 Coast said:
I own a 2005 March build gen 1 S Engine number confirms better bearing. Ok clutch water pump etc I get replaced - Biggest shock WAS THE PRICE FOR THE PASSENGER SIDE 18 position switches - its about £340 - two front shocks at around £800 pair. SUPERSPRINT manifolds and exhausts etc the list amounts along with major and minor every year amounts to around £11,000 to keep it tip top

HOWEVER - I know its only a gen1 - and some of you regard this model as somewhat chocolate

Or of course the ultra bomb proof king of the naturally aspirated, the 991.1 :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

997 Coast said:
997 Coast said:

997 Coast said:
997 Coast said:
997 Coast said:

I HAVE BEEN NOMINATED BY SPONGEBOB as the factotum of non bore score 997 gen 1

8) Lets do it x

All 911's sound like a bag of spanners when idling.

Regular oil and filter change is all you need to worry about.

Just drive it :thumb:

I like the paranoia that seems to surround every 911's engine - it's helped to devalue them, meaning I can afford to buy and own one :thumb:

TurboRob said:
I like the paranoia that seems to surround every 911's engine - it's helped to devalue them, meaning I can afford to buy and own one :thumb:

Ain't that the truth...... although some 996's seem to creeping up and have been doing so for a while ? Whilst the 997.1 has steadily dropped. Which made buying a lower mileage, gen1 997 much more appealing.

997 Coast said:
I HAVE BEEN NOMINATED BY SPONGEBOB as the factotum of non bore score 997 gen 1

8) Lets do it x

:grin: The only one that's cropped up so far is a Hartech rebuild :eek:

Hi All,

Thanks for the advice, decided to keep an eye on oil usage and not do the borescope. If there is a problem i'll just have to get t repaired!...

chunkymonkey1982 said:
Hi All,

Thanks for the advice, decided to keep an eye on oil usage and not do the borescope. If there is a problem i'll just have to get t repaired!...

Right move imo , problems will show their head if indeed there are any , this forum represents such a small minority of UK owners yet at times creates a majority of negativity .
Make sure all the variables are covered , switch to yearly oil swaps , warm the car thoroughly & do the major things as Porsche suggest ( 6 yr 12 yr etc )
In the meantime just enjoy the car , if you aren't a previous flat 6 owner they can sound loud , they can sound unrefined & they can produce smoke & fluids from time to time :wink: but it doesn't necessarily mean a meltdown is happening

bazhart said:
There are of course some issues with Gen 2 engines (as with any other manufacturers products) but they are so rare that they would not be considered worth worrying about unless there are very obvious signs and performance deterioration or very high oil consumption. Any faults resulting in bore scoring would be more likely to occur in winter or after an overheating issue of some kind.

We did post when we received some cars with engine faults in order to establish how common they were and we also sorted out some repair options but since then have had not one enquiry - so you would be very unlucky if your is faulty.

Don't worry - enjoy it.

Baz

I'll also agree .. i've herd of one issue .. unconfirmed but never seen any of the G2 suffering from this.

whilst anything is possible .. 4 horsemen of the apocalypse for example then there are some things you shouldn't worry about , anything is possible to be fair but the odds .. hmm .

me&my997 said:
this forum represents such a small minority of UK owners yet at times creates a majority of negativity

I don't necessarily agree with that, this is the place to come if you want some sound advice, as was given in this thread, you go read anywhere else and people can't control themselves get all hot headed and give out poor advice regarding the known issues, they usually haven't actually got a clue and have just heard rumors but feel like they need to say something anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartynT
Back