Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Batteries - Yuasa HSB096 from Halfords

SimonBash

Hi All,

My car has the above battery in which the previous owner bought last August from Halfords (who fitted it), and provided a 5 year warranty.

As mentioned in a previous post, my car suffers from the lazy crank issue and Alex pointed out the battery could be one or/the culprit.

OPC were asked to look into the issue and said the battery failed their tests. Their recommendation was unsurprisingly to replace as follows:

Replace Battery
Recommended 3 months

Replace Battery : Battery Remove And Reinstall : (Main Work) : Includes Electrolyte Fill And Charge
£240.28

What I am keen to get you guys input on is whether it's worth trying to get Halfords to replace the battery under warranty (seems decent at £120) or if I need a better battery?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

I don't believe Halfords battery warranties are transferable between owners?

I have that battery in my 4S and not had an issue. Admittedly, wouldn't have been my first choice of battery would've preferred a Bosch, but was in a rush one Sunday afternoon and only left with that choice.

toddy2 said:
I don't believe Halfords battery warranties are transferable between owners?

I have that battery in my 4S and not had an issue. Admittedly, wouldn't have been my first choice of battery would've preferred a Bosch, but was in a rush one Sunday afternoon and only left with that choice.

Looked on the battery warranty info on their website and it's not clear on that point. Worth a go as I need to pop back there to get them to check (my installation of) the car seats I bought from them yesterday.

Take battery to Halfords and let them test it for you (takes about 30secs and free).

I've had no end of issue with the Halfords 5-yr 'silver' batteries since they switched from Bosch to Yuasa. Appears the Yuasas don't like irregular use. Nevertheless Halfords have exchanged quibble-free each time (on my third now).

TurboRob said:
Take battery to Halfords and let them test it for you (takes about 30secs and free).

I've had no end of issue with the Halfords 5-yr 'silver' batteries since they switched from Bosch to Yuasa. Appears the Yuasas don't like irregular use. Nevertheless Halfords have exchanged quibble-free each time (on my third now).

Thanks for the info, will get them to test it and see where we go.

SimonBash said:
Alex pointed out the battery could be one or/the culprit.

OPC were asked to look into the issue and said the battery failed their tests.

:wink:

TurboRob said:

That rings true for me on my old Triumph bike. Always draining due to irregular use of the bike. Put in a Lithium Ion battery, worked a treat, never had battery problems again. Probably cost a lot more for the Porsche though I guess.

You need the receipt to maintain the warranty otherwise they dont know when it was installed.

I have a Halford Yuasa in my 996, completely died after 3 years. Normally on charge but had a loose earth strap prior to it dying so not sure if that lead to its downfall or not.

They tested it at halfords and think it was pumping out 3v or something so swapped it without an argument

I had the very same battery until last weekend. Seems they just die at 4-5 years, mine's been on Ctek charger all year round (maybe that's a bad thing!) but just replaced with a new one as warranty was just over 5.5 years old.
£101 for 5.5 years (£20 per year) I'm not gonna complain about though.

You don't mention the model of car. But slow cranking in a 997 gen 1 car could be due to a faulty earth strap.Porsche had released a Technical Bulletin on the subject. Did the OPC only test the battery (you pimed them of a battery fault) or did you book it in for slow cranking (more thorough check including Earth Strap or other causes)?

I'd only recommend a Bosch S4 or S5 or equivalent in the Varta range (same battery). That is, if you are going to be changing it. Tayna are very good - their advice is very helpful.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back