Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

ABS Sensor Warning Light

stichill99

Sao Paulo
While out for a drive this afternoon my abs warning light came on. I will start checking the resistance of the sensors to see if one has expired. Does anybody know if 993 sensors are the same as 996 ones? Looking at Eurocarparts the same one comes up for both cars. Prices seem to vary considerably.
Hopefully it will be a sensor but if they all show similar resistance I will move on to relays and then pump.

I would go for a genuine part from OPC. It's not an easy job to replace the sensors as they are usually seized in and it's a pain if the part is not correct.
I located the faulty one with Tore's OBD and Scantool software. The retaining bolt can be stuck so plenty of penetrant and a well seated allen socket.
I had to drill and chisel the old sensor out then ream the housing for the new one. Machine Mart do a kit which includes the correctly sized reamer.
If you havn't got a diagnostic kit then your local friendly indie or OPC may check it gratis. I'd recommend Tore's kit https://www.bergvillfx.com/index.php/products.html?p=4 or the UDT999 http://home.kpn.nl/mirjam_paul/diagnosetools_udt999.html for anyone a bit hands on.

Hopefully this is relevant but it might also be worth checking the wiring/loom as was the case on my 996 last week? In my case, the resistance on the sensor was the same as one of the rear ones so we swapped the loom and it's all good now

HTH
8)

I think I am going to buy Tore's diagnostic plug and leads. If I start pulling apart 25 year old connection it could be a real can of worms. You can get free scantool software to download from Rennlist to laptop so I think that will be the way forward. Thanks for the input.

I had a similar issue, contacting Porsche for a replacement it turned out that I had to replace them as a pair, I think this is due to the signals going back to the ecu ?
They are a right pita to replace, not for the faint hearted !
You will need to drill them out along with the fixing bolt if they snap, which mine both did...
All the best

Jack D

stichill99 said:
While out for a drive this afternoon my abs warning light came on. I will start checking the resistance of the sensors to see if one has expired. Does anybody know if 993 sensors are the same as 996 ones? Looking at Eurocarparts the same one comes up for both cars. Prices seem to vary considerably.
Hopefully it will be a sensor but if they all show similar resistance I will move on to relays and then pump.

This is a tricky job for a DIYer that has not done it before but its standard for any competent mechanic.

The old one will be seized in place and will need to be broken up/drilled out.

I think I have a new bosch/porsche unused spare still in the sealed bag at home which I will sell well below market value if you are interested.

abs sensor

I may be interested but as my diagnostic leads are on their way from Tore I will wait and see what it tells me before buying any parts. Hope it's not the pump or the kids will be having a lean Xmas.

Start with a fault code read out .. until that is done it's just guess work .

A wheel speed sensor is the most obvious fault and a code will say that .. you can get a break in the wiring from it but the sensor is the usual fault .

You can do a resistance check of said sensor .. i don't know the values but i would expect something like 1K ohms.

Much easier to see on a scope.

Drilling one out is problematic .. the magnet inside will snap a drill bit .. you have to work around the outside .. there is no set method im afraid that i have found that works.

Sensor failure
Matt a type911 will get you some
It'll be rear
Drill them out.

Bumped my thread for you

The next time I took the car out the warning light was gone :dont know: . I don't know if that is a good thing or not. Possibly just a bad/dirty connection. Tore's plug lead has arrived so will download the software and see if anything comes up!

Hi

The light will be back at some point don't worry.

I like to use a blowtorch on them as well as the drilling. Just be careful and take precautions. The drilling is a right pain. Don't drill the core as its too hard (in my experience), drill the plastic around it, use the torch, pull the centre out, then tap the seized metal sleeve in on itself.

Replace with plastic bodied version and use some copper slip anyways.

All the best

Berni

Took the car out to get a Sunday Times and light still out! A few jobs to tackle when the car is hibernating this winter so will just keep using just now and wait for the inevitable!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LB_85
Back