Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Bleeding master cylinder help!!

Newbe

Montreal
Hi All

I was changing my brake lines amongst other things and have introduced air into the master cylinder. Stupidly, my own fault, I had the car jacked up one side and wasn't watching the level☹️

Now I have oil coming out the calipers when bleed them but the pedal goes to the floor.

What's the best way to bleed a master cylinder?

If the master cyl has drained out then you need to bleed each caliper from both bleed nipples .

We are talking a liter at least , quarter per caliper .

Pressure bleeding ( a machine that does it ) is best but if not then someone pressing the brake pedal .. so undo nipple .. brake press .. do up .. release pedal release nipple press brake pedal.. and so on .

X 8 nipples .. do each one .

Cheers for the reply.

Do I start at the furthest caliper from the cylinder? I could kick myself!!

I've seen stuff online about running a pipe from the front caliper back into the reservoir and keeping it topped up until the air pushes through?? Is this an option if I buy pipe long enough?

Or just stick to the old fashioned way as per your post??

Would I have to bleed anything else?? I hoping there was a bleed on the mast cylinder it's self in case any air was trapped.

Take Demorts answer over mine, but yes as you suggested I would start with the furthest corner away from the master cylinder and work your way closer with each corner - that's the norm.

One word of caution! - Go real careful when you come to loosen off the bleed nipples, if they have not been loosened recently they can seize.

I sheared off 5 out of 8 of mine when attempting to bleed them.

Thanks for the replies.

Harsh lesson for me.

I bled all bleed nipples using around 1.25 litres of brake fluid. Brake pedal now rock hard.

Most of the air was in the passenger front side.

👍

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back