Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Consumer Rights Act
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Official Porsche Centre Reviews
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
992 : 2019- 0
991 : 2011- 24
997 : 2004- 67
996 : 1997-2005 34
993 : 1993-1998 4
964 : 1989-1993 2
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 2
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 2
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 1
Early 911 : 1964-1977 1
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 0
Boxster : 1997- 30
Cayman : 2005- 21
Cayenne : 2003- 7
Macan : 2014- 6
Panamera : 2009- 0
912-914-924-928-944-968 1
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 0
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [992] 2018-Current
Porsche 911 [992]
911 [991] 2011-2019
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-2012
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

Counter Of Beans
Spa-Francorchamps

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:19 am    Post subject: Mercedes C63 sold - alternatives? Reply with quote

I'm now three months into owning a 2013 C63 estate; it's a "facelift" car, one of the later ones with the 6.2 litre naturally aspirated V8. They replaced it with a 5.5 litre biturbo and I think the latest ones are 4 litre turbos.
So what's it like? How does it compare to a 911?
Good bits:
The engine; the stand out feature of the car and oh my word, it is a masterpiece. Don't get me wrong, the Porsche flat six is iconic and a wonderful engine too, but this one (6.2 litre, V8, hand built by AMG) is just incredible. Masses of torque, very easy to drive around town, but floor it and you get 457 hp with a fantastic sound. A £400 remap takes you to 500+ hp (Merc restricted the engine so it didn't match the E63's one) if the standard power isn't enough.
The exhaust sound; woofly at low speeds rising to a lovely V8 growl about 3-4000 revs. Utterly addicitve and to my ears, much nicer than a Porsche six - I love how V8's sound and this one delivers. I also love TVR and Mustang V8's and it's in that league.
Practicality; well, it's a C class estate, isn't it? You could use it as a taxi I suppose! Seriously, it's a perfectly sensible daily, but can be a hooligan if you wish. Jekyll and Hyde, if you will.
Steering; surprisingly good - not as sharp as my 997 but closer than I expected.
Build quality/paintwork/fit and finish; all very good and no rattles or squeaks which some of these are cursed with.
Ride quality; mine is on 18 inch wheels and it rides sooooo much better than my Porsche did. Then again, it's not a sports car.

Not so good bits:
Fuel; it likes a drink! So far averaging 20 mpg in mixed driving. But hey, I knew that when I bought it. It's part of the V8 experience and cars like this won't be around for much longer, arguably.
Traction; if you are not careful it'll spin the rear tyres (which are quite narrow 255's) and the traction control kicks in. They didn't come with a LSD as standard, bizarrely, so I'm getting a Quaife diff fitted which will solve any traction issues.
Other owners; you can get one of these for well under £20k so it does attract some clowns. Such "yoof" seem attracted to the saloon and coupe versions, but the estate appeals to old gits like me and so far hasn't been a problem.

Will I go back to Porsche? Yes, but only when I live somewhere rural with decent roads. In urban areas I think this car is better for my needs. But hey, how lucky am I to sample all these brilliant cars?

Best wishes, Mike.

Last edited by Counter Of Beans on Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:58 am; edited 1 time in total

TurboRob
Silverstone

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like these cars a lot, thanks for posting the review.

That 6.2 V8 is a masterpiece as you say.

255's sounds very narrow - sure that's right?

Magic919
Barcelona

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The C63 and that M156 engine both have quite a following. Good to see you are enjoying it.

911TEL
Albert Park

2011 Porsche 997 Turbo S

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Mercedes C63 AMG estate Reply with quote

Counter Of Beans wrote:
I'm now three months into owning a 2013 C63 estate; it's a "facelift" car, one of the later ones with the 6.2 litre naturally aspirated V8. They replaced it with a 5.5 litre biturbo and I think the latest ones are 4 litre turbos.
So what's it like? How does it compare to a 911?
Good bits:
The engine; the stand out feature of the car and oh my word, it is a masterpiece. Don't get me wrong, the Porsche flat six is iconic and a wonderful engine too, but this one (6.2 litre, V8, hand built by AMG) is just incredible. Masses of torque, very easy to drive around town, but floor it and you get 457 hp with a fantastic sound. A £400 remap takes you to 500+ hp (Merc restricted the engine so it didn't match the E63's one) if the standard power isn't enough.
The exhaust sound; woofly at low speeds rising to a lovely V8 growl about 3-4000 revs. Utterly addicitve and to my ears, much nicer than a Porsche six - I love how V8's sound and this one delivers. I also love TVR and Mustang V8's and it's in that league.
Practicality; well, it's a C class estate, isn't it? You could use it as a taxi I suppose! Seriously, it's a perfectly sensible daily, but can be a hooligan if you wish. Jekyll and Hyde, if you will.
Steering; surprisingly good - not as sharp as my 997 but closer than I expected.
Build quality/paintwork/fit and finish; all very good and no rattles or squeaks which some of these are cursed with.
Ride quality; mine is on 18 inch wheels and it rides sooooo much better than my Porsche did. Then again, it's not a sports car.

Not so good bits:
Fuel; it likes a drink! So far averaging 20 mpg in mixed driving. But hey, I knew that when I bought it. It's part of the V8 experience and cars like this won't be around for much longer, arguably.
Traction; if you are not careful it'll spin the rear tyres (which are quite narrow 255's) and the traction control kicks in. They didn't come with a LSD as standard, bizarrely, so I'm getting a Quaife diff fitted which will solve any traction issues.
Other owners; you can get one of these for well under £20k so it does attract some clowns. Such "yoof" seem attracted to the saloon and coupe versions, but the estate appeals to old gits like me and so far hasn't been a problem.

Will I go back to Porsche? Yes, but only when I live somewhere rural with decent roads. In urban areas I think this car is better for my needs. But hey, how lucky am I to sample all these brilliant cars?

Best wishes, Mike.

Great write up and good to hear that the C63 doesn’t disappoint...

When I eventually sell my Turbo S this is where I will be going carwise ....

I bought a saloon a few years back with the PP ostensibly for my wife to drive , when I brought it home she told me to return it as it obviously was bought for my gratification...!...so a large slice of humble pie later ...back it went ...

She now drives the Cayenne , so this leaves me free to choose ... and I choose to go to the Moon , no I mean to a Merc C63 wagon ...

Just need to find the right one ...for now the fun is in the search and this is great to read ..!

Cheers Mike ..!

Now ...are you the “Beancounter “ of the RRSport forum in days gone by ?.
Brompton S2L Black edition

Counter Of Beans
Spa-Francorchamps

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

911Tel - I used to have a Full Fat Range Rover (not a Sport) and was Counter Of Beans on FFRR forum, so you might be thinking of that one?
TurboRob; yes the rears are 255/35 R18's which, as you say, are rather narrow. Quite a few W204 C63 owners have gone to 265's or even 275's to get better grip - it's this car's weak spot - especially when 911 cars are running on 295's or 305's and getting much more grip.

Pleased that you guys enjoyed the write up. Happy motoring folks!
Mike.

Magic919
Barcelona

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can try wider wheels/tyres to add grip. Ultimately, it’ll lack the traction of the 911 for the expected reason.

Counter Of Beans
Spa-Francorchamps

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's gone. As in sold. To those nice people at We Buy Any Car, as it happens, who paid me around £2k less than what I bought it for in May this year. It's a bit of a waste I suppose but there was no way I was going to sell privately to the sort of clowns that inhabit C63 world. I don't need that hassle! I am NOT Philip Schofield by the way.

Reason for selling? Simple, in the end. For 95% of the time it's just a C class Merc; you know, in traffic and on our congested roads. Yes, you have a genuine masterpiece of an engine sat in front of you.........it's a bellowing, rorty hand-built AMG classic, but you can't ever use it! Well, you can but you'll end up dead, or in prison. Do the 5% moments compensate for the 95% of the time when you're pootling along getting 17 mpg? Errr, no. And trust me, although the exhaust noise is heavenly, you can't hear it in the well-insulated C class cabin unless you're gunning the engine above 3000 rpm. And then, you're hurtling towards Brian in his Kia SUV on his way back from the garden centre. Or that sneakily placed Safety Camera.

OK, so what next? Something that is satisfying to drive at LOW SPEEDS. Because living where I do (think M27 South Coast), high speeds just isn't possible. I feel another thread coming on!

TLDR: bloke buys C63 and finds he can't use it, so sells it.

Cheers, Mike.

HSC911
Long Beach

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Playing Devil's advocate here...

Couldn't you say that about most cars Dont know

Well done for trying it out though Thumb

Counter Of Beans
Spa-Francorchamps

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I think many new (ish) cars are far too powerful for our congested roads - I include modern Porsches in that. I tried a BMW M4 the other day and it left me cold - it might be fun on a race track but on typical roads with speed bumps and Jade in her Fiat 500 texting rather than concentrating it is a waste of lots of money.

Still, better to have loved and lost than..........driven a Hyundai, I suppose.

Thinking of a 993 as an antidote to overpowered modern machines.

T8
General
General

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can empathise with your comments but not your solution.

I do a third of my annual mileage in a GT86 which is great fun (most of the time) and certainly allows a good percentage of its performance to be used quite frequently.

The rest of my mileage is shared equally between a 5 litre XF and my 997T. I rarely tap into the full ability of either but I wouldn't want to lose either of them.

I know that I'm fortunate to have different horses for different courses but if I was to only have one it would be something with nearer to 400 bhp than 200. eg. A 981 Cayman GTS
ex 1978 Silver 924 Manual

Roro
Long Beach

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting read. I’m currently in the market for a “£20k” estate (though it’s looking like I’ll end up spending more like 25, and maybe end up with an SUV of some description). I considered a C63 wagon for about 5 min and thought the fuel consumption alone would annoy after a while, plus the absence of 4WD in a car with that much power doesn’t sound like a good idea to me. So I’ve shortlisted down to a Golf R estate and Audi RSQ3. Having power in reserve can be fun, depends how much you trust yourself, you don’t have to use it all the time Cool

benbuhagiar
Nürburgring

2008 Porsche 997 Carrera 2

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you need a very special classic car that has a real sense of occasion when driving it. Speed isn’t everything.

However saying that, the 2 most fun cars I have ever driven are a Audi R8 V8 manual and an Alfa 4C.

Magic919
Barcelona

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can’t say I’m too surprised. It has gone the way a few people suggested. Better to have given it a try. That’s one ticked off the list.

I’ve always felt the E63 is the starting point for AMG and hadn’t considered the C. Some of your comments about the C63 ring true.

spongebob squarepants
Long Beach

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm a Merc, a Mercs a Merc, a Porsche is a Porsche, 'never the twain shall meet'! Ones a sports car ones a luxury cruiser. Never get how a Merc can be a sports car, or a bmw etc etc....

Apparently other colours are available?

Magic919
Barcelona

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I expect driving an AMG GT and a Cayenne back to back might suggest otherwise.

Counter Of Beans
Spa-Francorchamps

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting comments gentlemen, thank you. My long suffering wife rolled her eyes and said "I knew you wouldn't keep that car very long". But then she changes her hair style every other week; go figure.

I'm going to look at a 993 tomorrow so we'll see what that brings.
A few others I've thought about but have reservations:
Boxster and Cayman - just don't like how they look I'm afraid, so that rules them out.
Jaguar F Type V8 - surely similar issue to the C63, namely that you can never properly use the thing. Looks lovely though......
S550 Mustang V8 (2016 on) - looks and sounds nice but built like a biscuit tin; build quality is high up on my priorities.
Toyota GT86 and Alfa 4C - only four cylinders so it's a "no" from me. Bit irrational, but there it is, sorry.
Audi R8 hmm hadn't thought of that, will investigate, thanks Ben.

Best wishes to all, Mike.

spongebob squarepants
Long Beach

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Counter Of Beans wrote:
Interesting comments gentlemen, thank you. My long suffering wife rolled her eyes and said "I knew you wouldn't keep that car very long". But then she changes her hair style every other week; go figure.

I'm going to look at a 993 tomorrow so we'll see what that brings.

Best wishes to all, Mike.

Corrected for you Grin

Apparently other colours are available?

benbuhagiar
Nürburgring

2008 Porsche 997 Carrera 2

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't rule out the 4C just because it has 4 cylinders, they sound fantastic! They sound better than my 997 from the cabin.

Also check out a Lotus Evora S.

MaxA
Albert Park

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like you need to run a Lotus Elise, MX5, Up GTI, JCW, GT86, ST, smallish cars with character. Unfortunately these are all 4 cylinders...

Counter Of Beans
Spa-Francorchamps

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaxA wrote:
Seems like you need to run a Lotus Elise, MX5, Up GTI, JCW, GT86, ST, smallish cars with character. Unfortunately these are all 4 cylinders...

This has crossed my mind, and I do drive my wife's R53 Cooper S now and then - MaxA it's not race prepped like yours but is is still a hoot.
I squeezed into an Elise a while ago and found it almost impossible to get out of the thing! Much vaseline and warm spoons were employed to remove me!

I suppose this is becoming a "what car?" thread. I may be seeking a unicorn, but the criteria include the following:
*6 cylinders or more (yes, irrational I know)
*must sound good at low-ish speeds
*decent ride quality
*high build quality (so not a TVR or Mustang)
*not a Lotus since I can't get in and out of them, Evora included
*budget is up to £60k
*must look great (so not a Cayman)
*petrol (I will never buy a diesel again) and ideally manual
*not a water cooled 911, been there done that

Two cars that seem to fit the above are the 993 Porsche and the Boxster (not too keen on the looks but if the drive is good enough I can accept that). For anyone reading from, say, Idlib in Syria, I am fully aware that I am hugely fortunate to be in this position; very much a first world problem. Still, it's a car forum after all.[/list]

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: