Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

The Boxster Gamble - Should I? I did - Progress thread!

MJA911 said:
I'd say in this part of the market you doing your own service, backed up perhaps with a manifest that shows you've followed the Porsche schedule and invoices for all the parts, would be absolutely fine. No doubt if and when you sell on, it will be a private sale so you'll have the opportunity to convey how well the servicing etc. has been done.

My 986 had a patchy service history and like many of these, the previous owner had run it longer that he should without attending to the usual suspects like condensers, coils, plugs, fluids, various suspension bits & center gravity set up, discs and pads, battery, AOS, tensioner seal, drive belt, exhaust clamps and bolts and rattly heat shields!

Car has paid me back by being sweet as a nut and has two new reputable service stamps too, but I'm nowhere near your league in the spannering stakes :thumb:

I think I will service myself, I keep an excel spreadshseet recording everything I do along with receipts, I guess the thread will assist with all of that too (Hello future owner). No plans to sell right now anyway and it's been put in the garage for a while as I'm now using my MX5 Turbo for some summer fun :)

Sounds like you have done the main jobs, for what it owes you, it's a fantastic bargain, unrivalled perhaps! I'm not sure if I prefer driving the 986 to my 997!! Says alot..

Good idea to keep a detailed record, counts for a lot, people buy the seller as well as the car.

Know what you mean about enjoying these boxsters over a 911, naturally in the summer it's keeping my 911 in the garage a lot, it's the fun car of the two, but wait until you get your 911 out on a serious drive on a decent fast and sweeping road, then it will all make sense.

MJA911 said:
Good idea to keep a detailed record, counts for a lot, people buy the seller as well as the car.

Know what you mean about enjoying these boxsters over a 911, naturally in the summer it's keeping my 911 in the garage a lot, it's the fun car of the two, but wait until you get your 911 out on a serious drive on a decent fast and sweeping road, then it will all make sense.

That's very true, taking my turbo out after driving the Boxster does give you a bit of a whoaaa when you first boot it!

Yes mine is the black one that was for sale on here in May. As mentioned I've had to spend a bit on it as it hadn't been serviced for ages and the box had a duff bearing but other than that it's a really good little car with a decent 64k mileage.

Get yourself a rubber stamp with the Porsche logo and invent a name for yourself then you can have all the stamps you want!
It doesn't matter on cars of a certain age and you will tell any potential buyers anyway. The accompanying paperwork and your detailed records will be more important to any buyer.

MJA911 said:

Good point, I don't drive the 911 a lot but when I do, I always think, why don't I!

easternjets said:
MJA911 said:

That's very true, taking my turbo out after driving the Boxster does give you a bit of a whoaaa when you first boot it!

Yes mine is the black one that was for sale on here in May. As mentioned I've had to spend a bit on it as it hadn't been serviced for ages and the box had a duff bearing but other than that it's a really good little car with a decent 64k mileage.

That was a great buy, I was a bit slow on that! I'm always on the look out for bargain Porsches because they are complete bargains, there's a fair few out there but the missus will go nuts if I do get another! Did you swap the box yourself?

ian_alex said:
Get yourself a rubber stamp with the Porsche logo and invent a name for yourself then you can have all the stamps you want!
It doesn't matter on cars of a certain age and you will tell any potential buyers anyway. The accompanying paperwork and your detailed records will be more important to any buyer.

Ha, I did think about getting a self service stamp. I will just make a note in the book, this thread and a spreadsheet I've got which I record everything on should do the job.

ian_alex said:

Ha, I did think about getting a self service stamp. I will just make a note in the book, this thread and a spreadsheet I've got which I record everything on should do the job.

Using this daily at the moment, I still can't believe what a great car it is, I'm sure there isn't anything that touches this car for the money it owes and costs to run.

So, out the garage it came, needed a new brake light switch and wipers, so sorted those.

Old style

48946006518_0ca8fe1f05_z.jpg

Aeros

48946549661_07a44387ee_z.jpg

Brake light swtich, 2 minute job, reach up, twist, pull and unplug.
48946549736_5c5d8c61c7_z.jpg

Wanted to change the oil in the gearbox, not sure when it was last done, if ever.. I did wonder if it would have been done when the IMS was done but for the sake of £34, best to do it myself and use some decent stuff.

48946006718_d182b435be_z.jpg

I heard a lot of stories about Boxster gearboxes giving way, so I wanted to change the fluid to try and prolong that. It just so happened that the side to side movement on the gear knob was a bit stiff, didn't think changing the fluid would sort this but it did.

Mild mist of crap on the plug, nothing to worry about in the fluid, it was just a black coffee colour and really runny.

48955077347_a28af75c84_z.jpg

If you haven't changed your gearbox fluid, do it, the car feels smoother when pulling away and accelerating.

Got a wash

48946006778_82ba63f6eb_z.jpg

Tried out the new Meguiars Hybrid Ceramic stuff, really quick and easy to use and gives beading as good as the best stuff!

48946549861_6cf817f5f4_z.jpg

I've been raving about these cars for years ... the entire Boxster range is my favourite .. 981 though .. hmmm :D .. perfection.

Porsche Mechanic .. his favourite car is a Boxster .. that surely has to say something lol .

FFS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Another hit and run, someone has pushed the corner of the bumper in which has flexed upward and popped the lens of the light clean off! Fortunately nothing major, panels are fine and there is nothing behind the corner of the bumper to harm, so just a bumper skin and light, great! Annoyingly facelift parts are 5 times the cost of normal parts.

49126919161_f6eb332292_c.jpg

I found a replacement face lift bumper in meridian silver, emailed asking about the condition as pics were hazy, only to get a short reply and find that they upped the price by extra £50! F-YOU Douglas Valley, complete piss taker for that..

Lots of choices of bumpers out there so no idea why they've done that minutes after me asking, couldn't be more obvious.

You don't need that, what bathtubs!

I repaired a 996 front bumper that was as bad as that one. Cost me £30 in materials and a bit of sanding filling etc.
I know where there's a black bumper but it doesn't have the sensor holes, it's also local to me and it's £180.00 plus carriage £38.00.

Bath tubs! hahaah

I've sourced a rear light for £65 which was a result.

Cheers, spotted a few facelift bumpers on ebay and my mates bodyshop will repaint for £150, he can then sort the front one out like I had planned too, so it's not all bad.

I was due to have this bumper repaired as its got some damage around the number plate section from someones poor attempt to filler a crease, so it is probably best to replace rather than dig all the filler out and redo it, never good on a flexible part!

Not too worried about sensor holes, I can drill those in. Where have you seen the bumper advertised?

These seems pretty straight

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2003-Por...827877?hash=item262beece25:g:eroAAOSwYoZdztQI

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PORSCHE-...499840?hash=item3b31519200:g:QYoAAOSwgPVcYqcW

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DD77
Back