Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Another 3.4l crankshaft coin toss

MisterCorn

I have a 3.4l engine which had damaged heads and crankshaft. I sourced the heads ages ago but have been struggling to find a crank. I bought a complete Boxster s 3.2l engine which I had heard running for the crank, but then decided to get that converted to a 3.7l engine so I still need one. As anybody who needs a 3.4l crank will know they are rare and expensive, so when a Boxster S engine came up for sale as 'parts only' I was interested. Symptoms were water and oil mixing, the garage tried a new oil/water heat exchanger but the fault remained so at this point the owner gave up and sold the car for parts. This only happened very recently so my finger are crossed that it is mainly oil in water and not a lot of water in oil. It turns over no problem and from the look of the oil on the engine it looks very promising. Almost certainly a cracked head, but for £600 I'm taking a risk and hopefully I'll jave a good crank, IMS, full set of camshafts and a 4-6 cylinder head.

I'm off on holiday on Tuesday but really want the crank out before then, so I have a busy couple of days ahead of me. I'll report back with progress updates...

MC

I was out last night in Manchester for a couple of shandies so it was a slower start today. After a two hour drive to Nottingham I set about clearing out the garage to make some space. I had to take my C4 engine off the stand to get the new engine on. Getting the engine out of the back of the Range Rover by myself was something of a challenge.

I then set about taking it apart. I did a little video of it.....

Crankshaft and bearing look great. Big crack on cylinder 2 was the cause of the problem.

Then with it all apart, get the C4 engine back on the stand...

I doubt that it would be worth getting the head repaired since second hand ones aren't all that expensive. There is also a damaged mounting where the bellhousing bolts to the engine, so one scrap head, one scrap block half, and a pile of decent bits. Most importantly, I now have a crankshaft for my 3.4l engine :D

MC

It's about time your username was changed to ManMachine!

A few shandies :floor:

I like how the only tool in evidence is a hammer

Thanks guys. I do love my 90s music :) The garage is a great space to work in, all sorted out now but I really do need to give the floor a proper clean after spilling a load of engine oil and doing some underside cleaning on my SEC. If it wasn't for the space I have available and the lift in the garage I wouldn't attempt half of what I do now.

MC

The premium dual row IMS bearing is worth £600 on its own :grin:

sportsandclassic said:
I see you have a 997 GT3 intake central manifold with dual resonance flaps... ?
Whats the plan for that ?

It will sit above a set of ITBs with custom end tanks. This is for the project I am working on with Dammit.

MC

MisterCorn said:
sportsandclassic said:
I see you have a 997 GT3 intake central manifold with dual resonance flaps... ?
Whats the plan for that ?

It will sit above a set of ITBs with custom end tanks. This is for the project I am working on with Dammit.

MC

Very nice.

Make sure the securing screws that hold the flaps to the shafts are thread locked in as they fell out on some engines and they were replaced complete with new units.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smiggles772
Back