Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

2nd gear pop out - 996tt X50

P911X50

Nurburgring
Hi

I have a problem with the gearbox. When decelerating towards a roundabout in 2nd gear my car pops out of 2nd gear.

It doesn't happen on most occassions, only sometimes when driving down hill towards a roundabout.

Clearly, there is a fault. Any ideas on costs to repair, it's a 996 X50 (apparently, they have stronger gearboxs)

All advice greatly appreciated.

:thumbs:

They are completely different to the standard G96 gearbox. I have a spare gearbox from a 36k car in great condition if needed, but it will be cheaper to get yours fixed. I would call Matt at Fearnsport.

MC

Hi

Someone was telling me that it was the synchro hub? is that a big job? any ideas on cost?

Thanks

Its a common fault,my C4s did it too.

I think i was quoted just over £2000 for repair,albeit a few years ago now.

The 2nd Gear "pop-out" has been around on these cars since almost new, this includes the 996 C2/C4/C4S/GT3/GT2/Turbo models. We have been repairing these for 14 years now.

The "pop-out" will 99% of the time occur like you have described as the gear is coasting and not under engine load. When under load the inertia and angles of engagement teeth on the gear and shift sleeve actually force them together to interlock but when you take your foot off the throttle the gear train is oscillating with flywheel dampening, road speed, through the differential and there are a number of things to keep that gear engaged - spring pressure of the selector rod, engagement depth of shift sleeve, gear stack height etc.

One of the main issues is that the 2nd gear height is too low from manufacture - this can be corrected and is 1 of the modifications we do when re-build these gearboxes.
The gear can also have too much running clearance on the needle roller support bearing so again this needs to be corrected to minimise gear flutter on coast/over-run.

Chances are it will require a few modifications BUT it could end up with new gear/shift sleeve and synchro set for 2nd gear as it could be damaged now.

These Gbox detents are merely a short term fix - they allow the shift arrestor to travel further to slam the shift sleeve into the engagement ring on the gear , this creates a few issues in that the shift rod is now not held correctly as it has been forced past where it should be and you are now over throwing every other gear in the gearbox. On 3rd/4th gears the engagement rings have end stops and when these Gbox detents are installed the shift sleeve on 3rd/4th damages and breaks these off the gear allowing now a foreign object to cause damage- yes sure the magnet may get hold of it but there is not just one that breaks off and I have seen the damage these "wonderful upgraded" detents cause.

Rough cost for 2nd gear fix is £2750.00 plus VAT and this includes us removing and installing the gearbox. (This includes new parts for 2nd Gear)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tobytobytoby
Back