Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

911 amateur club question regarding central locking/alarm

Mookin

Hello guys,
7 months into ownership and really starting to gel with the car. I'm addicted. Car is crazy capable and I will never get close to its limits with my skills. Quick question, I think I read about this somewhere before but can't find an answer online. If I leave car for approx 4-5 days it won't open off the central locking key fob button and I have to use the key manually in the door lock to open, invariably setting off the alarm briefly when I start up. Is this normal? I thought I read somewhere the fob goes on security shutdown if unused for a few days?I am presuming there is a knack? Hopefully not a fault. I should obviously be using the car more!

Mine is a 996.2 but assume it will work the same - basically I open and close the central locking manually with the key (drivers door, leave the door closed) and this seems to wake the system up (interior light goes on etc). Then works fine with the fob to disable alarm and unlock doors as normal. Haven't had the alarm go off yet.

Cheers.........Ian (EDIT - obviously last poster can type faster than me!!)

My 996.2 sometimes sets off the alarm after turning the key in the lock and sometimes it doesn't!
In either case subsequent lock/ unlock with the remote returns things to normal, with no subsequent adverse effects.

On my 996.1, when the car/alarm/fob has gone to sleep, unlock the car by turning the key in the lock clockwise to unlock, you then have 10 seconds to turn on the ignition before the alarm goes off. If you turn the key anti-clockwise then clockwise the alarm will go off instantly when you open the door.

My fobs are both dead at the minute, so I am using the key all of the time.

That's great! Thanks fellas. Knew it would be something simple(for a simpleton like me)

When in 'sleep mode" turn the key in lock to unlock and then press button on fob whilst key is still in lock. Alarm won't go off :thumb:

I know what you mean with this - it wakes up the neighbours whilst going for an early morning blast if not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biel
Back