Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

proposed mandatory speed limiters, This can''t be true?

Fantastic, in 10 years time the majority of cars on the road will have them and the authorities will get rid of all of the speed cameras :thumb:

MC

...we are part of Europe and all the better for it; jingoistic nonsense and as MC indicates if you aren't driving a 2022 new car then we can look forward to speeding with impunity :D

Re: This can''t be true?

Kev.K said:

On the right road in the right car, I find 60mph (or so) is enough.

As regards being pro-EU, we are all here largely celebrating German engineering. I personally think there are more things that bind us, than divide us. The most pressing problems we have are global in nature, and we certainly can't solve them on our own, and nor should we want to.

The sooner we are out the better, the brakes need putting on the EU gravy train that's a dead cert.

...can't even dignify such xenophobic ignorance with a response...oh I have !

I guess we won't have long to wait to find out what will go right and what will go wrong after this Halloween

It's Trick or Treat for the adults this year👻

GMG said:
...can't even dignify such xenophobic ignorance with a response...oh I have !

Xenophobic? Please elaborate. Or it that just your auto, idiotic lefty response?

My issue with the Eu is that it is a closed market with ridiculously high taxes.

I have no issue with European countries, just the EU gravy train. You will find many German, French and Dutch etc people who feel the same.

If I was a xenophobic, right wing bigot. I wouldn't have a issue with predominantly white European countries. I'm white and European. :thumb:

Re: This can''t be true?

991.2GTS said:
On the right road in the right car, I find 60mph (or so) is enough.

And yet on the same road in different conditions 30mph is enough. Or a different road in different conditions, at different times, in a different car 120mph might be enough. My point being that blanket speed limits are a blunt tool. Why not use the technology to monitor the traffic environment and vary limits according to conditions instead of screwing the motorist... again :thumb:

Hooner said:
The sooner we are out the better, the brakes need putting on the EU gravy train that's a dead cert.
+1

Kev.K said:

It will be interesting to see if the department of transport really do make this mandatory. They will only have to do it if the government fail to leave the EU by then, which still remains to be seen but personally I don't think that it is likely that it will drag out that long. Especially if (as looks increasingly likely) the no-deal exit proves to be the only way out.

Why wouldn't they do it? Firstly it is almost certainly a vote loser. Secondly, speeding fines are a pretty healthy revenue stream which they will have to find a replacement for or learn to live without. Thirdly of course is that road fatalities in cars in the UK are already at a surprisingly (indeed almost implausibly) low level - the only thing that could possibly put a substantial reduction on them calls for going after cyclists and motorcycles (which are a sizeably disproportionate percentage of the total). Fourth of course is that it will take a very long time for vehicles so equipped to replace the bulk of the cars on the road. Fifth it is quite likely to put the brakes on new car sales (which has both economic effects and also would slow adoption of newer, lower emission vehicles and reduce the ability to hit that 0 carbon target).

There are plenty of reasons not to. Conversely, the only (politically speaking) reasons to do it are to appease a small number of pressure groups that don't really carry any large benefit in terms of votes and to conform to the kind of rules that are have for many years now been sited as reasons to leave. With the pro-EU elements having been purged from the cabinet (May, Stewart, Gauke et al) since the article was written, I am far from certain that this will now happen over here. :?:

The more I think about this, it can't work. It would cost the transport industry millions.

Oh lookey here ...... Sundeep seems to have missed this blatant reference to Brexit ....... expect to be chastised shortly ....... :floor: :floor: :floor: :floor: :floor: :floor: :floor: :floor:

:floor:

I was awaiting a response from New997Buyer......

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mwarren1
Back