Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

DSC Sport Plug and Play PASM upgrade

996ttalot said:
jl-c said:
Fitted mine today, use the power from the switch panel. That is red with a grey tracer as the instructions and is ignition switched. The earth has an eye on it that goes on the stud holding the airbag unit. I removed my complete centre console as it made access so much easier and took advantage to do a couple of other jobs at the same time.
Took it for a drive, sport now only switches sport mode on and doesn't switch the shocks as well as before. They have to be individually switched now. No big deal but it is different. It is different describes how I feel about the ride. Now I only did twenty odd miles so not a full road test! I think sport now is much more useable and is what it should have been originally, but normal is way too tame, I know it is for american taste but too much. Drives like our Passat now. Too much lean and body roll. I will have to play with the programming I think. Is it worth £1300 ? No, I'm afraid not, not as it stands anyway. I reserve judgement as to whether I can get a reasonable compromise in 'normal" mode. Please note though this is not in any way being laid at the door of the team at 9e they have been excellent but at the US manufacturer. I will revisit this thread after a few hundred miles and see if my view has changed.

Keep me updated please as you drive more.

What i would say is that lean and body roll difference should not be there as you described - this can be (I think I had said early in the thread) down to a number of factors including whether the springs are still the stock ones, whether your dampers are in good condition etc etc. Even worn engine mounts can affect as will a poor geometry.

I have written a firmer files specifically where the car spring rate has been changed, as clearly the settings in terms of sensitivity is based on stock. This is why I mentioned for example that cabs need a slightly different file etc. Again like the 991.2 Carrera T has a softer spring when compared to say a 991.2 Carrera GTS.

Get some more miles on it and then review again.

Ken

OK, Ken I would like to try the firmer file for mine (C2S 2005 997) As I said earlier the suspension on mine is stock.
I just cannot get on with this soft setting, it just makes me very unsure of the car and it is just not nice to drive. The 'sports' setting is a huge improvement but not the 'normal'

I have the opposite problem (on a 987.2) ie the DSC sport setting is much better for fast road use than OEM sport but the Normal DSC setting is too hard and I prefer the OEM normal setting.

If you download the tuning software from the DSC website its very easy to tinker with the main settings to get the best setting for you and your car on your local roads (once you spend a little time learning the software). I've been playing around with it and having fun at the same time ;-)

I've seen some new reviews, so I thought I'd add some additional thoughts on the TPC Racing DSC box, especially since I'm now running shorter H+R springs along with the slightly lighter summer rims.

I used to just leave the car in PASM Normal almost all the time, as I live in the country and need to deal with some rough roads. I think Normal is just fine, as it allows the car to move around, to breathe and to flow, and absorb the worst. I could even drive 'fairly quickly' down a gravel road (not as fast as the WRC boys obviously) although I soon found the limits of the tyres.

It is still far better than the original PASM which allowed too much front end bounce and roll in the name of comfort.

I have found however that on a fast road (when you can drive 80-100-120kmh), or on the motorway, and not just on the track, the PASM Sport is a huge improvement, as it just optimises body control while still handling the yumps, bumps and potholes, so I am using PASM Sport a lot more of the time.

It used to be 90% Normal, 10% Sport, now it's more like 70:30. I really like that tied-down feel.

That's more or less exactly how I feel about my unit. I recently took the unit off for a major service, the OPC even nit picked about an LED light I fitted in the frunk so god knows what they'd say about a module, the ride quality really suffered.
So my modules back in and I'm smiling again!

jl-c said:
996ttalot said:
jl-c said:
Fitted mine today, use the power from the switch panel. That is red with a grey tracer as the instructions and is ignition switched. The earth has an eye on it that goes on the stud holding the airbag unit. I removed my complete centre console as it made access so much easier and took advantage to do a couple of other jobs at the same time.
Took it for a drive, sport now only switches sport mode on and doesn't switch the shocks as well as before. They have to be individually switched now. No big deal but it is different. It is different describes how I feel about the ride. Now I only did twenty odd miles so not a full road test! I think sport now is much more useable and is what it should have been originally, but normal is way too tame, I know it is for american taste but too much. Drives like our Passat now. Too much lean and body roll. I will have to play with the programming I think. Is it worth £1300 ? No, I'm afraid not, not as it stands anyway. I reserve judgement as to whether I can get a reasonable compromise in 'normal" mode. Please note though this is not in any way being laid at the door of the team at 9e they have been excellent but at the US manufacturer. I will revisit this thread after a few hundred miles and see if my view has changed.

Keep me updated please as you drive more.

What i would say is that lean and body roll difference should not be there as you described - this can be (I think I had said early in the thread) down to a number of factors including whether the springs are still the stock ones, whether your dampers are in good condition etc etc. Even worn engine mounts can affect as will a poor geometry.

I have written a firmer files specifically where the car spring rate has been changed, as clearly the settings in terms of sensitivity is based on stock. This is why I mentioned for example that cabs need a slightly different file etc. Again like the 991.2 Carrera T has a softer spring when compared to say a 991.2 Carrera GTS.

Get some more miles on it and then review again.

Ken

OK, Ken I would like to try the firmer file for mine (C2S 2005 997) As I said earlier the suspension on mine is stock.
I just cannot get on with this soft setting, it just makes me very unsure of the car and it is just not nice to drive. The 'sports' setting is a huge improvement but not the 'normal'
away in Europe at the moment but send me an email and I will get it sorted for you

Ive finally had mine fitted and with today being a decent day out i put it to the test.
I must say i am very impressed with how it has transformed the sports mode for me. The crashing over road imperfections has dramatically reduced meaning i can have a spirited drive down most B roads now without shaking out my fillings. Also on a smoother surface the cornering is spot on. Before in sports the rebound and feedback made it almost impossible to g corner confidently at your desired speed. That has all changed now.

Im going to see enjoying while the weather is still good and feedback.

One thing to note i have had most brake and suspension components renewed and the cars geomatry all set up.

I'm changing to a 991 next week so am selling the DSC from my 997.2. Sourced from Ken in the group buy in 2018. Still have the box and will send first class recorded. PM if interested.

boardingnath997 said:
I'm changing to a 991 next week so am selling the DSC from my 997.2. Sourced from Ken from the group but in 2018. Still have the box and will send first class recorded. PM if interested.

Pm'ed

J

edgar86 said:
Hello ,
does the 997.1 DSC work on a 997.2 turbo ?

It doesnt !!, i had the same query, as im loocking for a DSC Module my self for my Gen1 3.8s,

As many are selling their DSC boxes cos their selling their cars, and am looking for one my self spoke to Ken and also did email TPC Racing..

Email below , basically..

1. All Turbo Gen1 & Gen2 DSC Modules will work .
2. Gen1 & Gen2 (non turbos) are different as the Canbus Speed runs at
a different rate from each other!

The Gen1 Non Turbo you do need the accelerometer device where as the Gen1, Gen2 Turbos, and Gen2 Non Turbos has that built in to the loom!

So there are 3 different softwares, Turbo, Gen1 & Gen2, none is forward or backward compatible apart from the Turbo model !!

Now you can buy any DSC Module being it Turbo, Gen1 or Gen2 and have that box reflashed, i.e change the software to cater for your car which is available via Ken at 9excellence BUT he will have to sendvit away to the US and a charge of £250 to do, unfortunatly Ken dont have that software!!

So if you have a Turbo, Gen1 or a Gen2 then you need to get the correct DSC box for your model!

Cheers

J

Attachments

• screenshot_20191129_122712_samsung_internet_202.jpg
    screenshot_20191129_122712_samsung_internet_202.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 1,950
Martian said:
Thanks for the update J, I'm still waiting for a reply from DSC!

Hi Martin, you will get the same info from TPC Racing (DSC) also Ken did say the same thing!! Shame really!!

Cheers
J

from what i understand , for a 997.2 turbo i need a DSC from .1 turbo or .2 turbo .
Thanks for explaining that .

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back