Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Strange drivers window behaviour on cabriolet

Maccy

Trainee
Morning folks,

90% of the time when putting the roof up on my cab, at the end of the sequence the drivers window will start going up and get to about 2/3 of the way and then drop back down to around 1/4 of the way up. The passenger side behaves fine and goes all the way up.

I've tried the 30 second holding the switch thing (not sure if it's supposed to be with engine on or off and with the roof up or down!) and it's still not resolved it.

Before I contact the supplying dealer (Ashgood) as it's still in warranty, is there anything obvious I've missed?

The window is getting tight 2/3rds of the way up and thinks its trapped something (like your arm). You could try the following:

Wax your window with car polish.
Lubricate your regulator cable.
Silicone lubricant in the front glass runner (where the wing mirror is)

Alex said:
The window is getting tight 2/3rds of the way up and thinks its trapped something (like your arm). You could try the following:

Wax your window with car polish.
Lubricate your regulator cable.
Silicone lubricant in the front glass runner (where the wing mirror is)

Ah cool thanks Alex, I'll give those suggestions a go.

I can get it to go up by holding the switch until it goes all the way up but it's just annoying!

My 996 did it.

I don't doubt that. I mean with a 997.2 you'll struggle to get rid of it. I've had regulators and even a new motor and controller. Still does it from time to time. I heard they tried thinner glass for a while.

It's a reasonably common occurrence im afraid .. the roll back function has been activated .. basically the car sees or thinks it sees an obstruction so rolls back the window .

you have to reset the windows so hold in the closed position for 5 seconds to reset the window position .

I'm afraid then on the 997 it's often the window motor that needs replacement .. it seems to learn an incorrect setting .

Basically 9/10 times its the motor with the odd time it's a stiff runner .. lubricate as mentioned but if it persists then it's a new motor required .

The control unit , which is the faulty part is part of the window motor .. hence that's what needs replacing .

This will only effect the one touch operation .. manually holding the button in the closed position will always shut the window .

Thanks deMort, fingers crossed I can solve it with the cheap/easy suggestions!

Is a new window motor a pricey job??

I'm afraid i fit the parts not do the costing .. but like anything with Porsche it's not going to be cheap .. i would guess at about £500 knicka though .

They also have to be coded to the car .. it can be a faf as it starts by working opposite .. down is up .. etc .

Try lube on the runners first .. something with ptfe in it .. open the window then spray down the runners .

To prove 100% you need to have a free moving window and feel it as it moves up and down for tight spots.

I'm afraid most i've seen since they were released turned out to be the control unit on the motor learning a wrong value on the roll back setting .. it's always random though .. sometimes it works .. others it rolls back and has to be reset to get one touch working .

It will Always work on manual though ( holding the button ) .

Cheers mate, I've got some WD40 lubricant spray so will give that a go.

Same thing started happening to mine recently, and also had one occasion where the driver window didn't roll down whilst the roof was closing and so I had to do it manually.

Well the lubricant spray didn't solve it sadly, I've reached out to the dealer as it's still under warranty to see what can be done.

icekay said:
Same thing started happening to mine recently, and also had one occasion where the driver window didn't roll down whilst the roof was closing and so I had to do it manually.

if you disconnect a battery then you have to teach the window settings to the car .. hold the window button in the closed position for 5 secs ..

if the window rolled back due to this fault or indeed an obstruction then you have to teach it again .

if the car doesnt know the position as its not been taught then it may well open the roof with no window opening ..

I would have thought it wouldn't as its safety related .. but it seems it does .

Well I took it back to Ashgood today and they plugged it in, cleared all fault codes and it was still doing it.
One of the guys did a few up and downs, locked it with the window down etc and just played about with it - and it seemed to fix it!

So all being well, it's resolved :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Max V
Back