Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Suspension. Comparing damper options

jond58 said:
If you want compliance and performance in numerous parameters you're going to want masses of adjustment. High and low speed compression and rebound etc but then you'll need a suspension guru setting it up each time you go out!

I run some old though very high end (pre TTX) Ohlins 3 way adjustable dampers on my Mk 1 996 GT3. More on them in this thread :

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=135064&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

If the spring rates and valving are carefully considered and well chosen, you really won't need to adjust them once you've established a good baseline setting. Granted you may need the individual who built/valved them to establish the baseline high/low speed compression settings and the rebound settings, but once done, I've found them to be fit and forget.

They were built solely for fast road use, but rest assured, they were massively impressive around Oulton, and I'd suggest they'd probably cope admirably with The 'Ring too.
Don't be out off by their apparent complexity, just get someone to build and set them up who knows their stuff, then enjoy the vastly underated benefits of them

:)

I think there's some EXE-TC stuff lying about in my in-tray somewhere, if it might be useful.

We're looking at Sept 26th now, CG and Porsche &911 World are in as are several of us here.

Anyone else interested please PM me. I'm on holiday until the end of the month but I am picking up 911UK fairly frequently.

We're especially interested in non standard damper/spring combos, we have a good selection of Ohlins going. Not sure that we have a standard car yet either!

When I get back, I'll post a starter for 10 outline for the day for comments.

Mike

Where is it going to be held Mike?

PM sent. Happy to throw my Designtek coilovers into the mix, which might make an interesting comparison at broadly the same price as factory M030.

Hi all,
we're looking at Bruntingthorpe (in Leicestershire) as the base, Steve Bennett from 911&PW has a relationship there and CG recon there are some good roads around for ride testing.

I've had a full suspension refresh by CG using Ohlins but I find the ride too hard. The road and rack springs are too stiff for road use and don't allow the dampers enough travel.

Various members here have different set ups but very few have tried more than one or two options.

My aim is to understand how different alternative suspensions really are and which we prefer. My prime interest is ride but we will also obviously be considering handling too.

We are very aware that there are lots of variables such as tyres, ride height, 2/4 wheel drive, early vs late cars etc. etc. but we are aiming to increase our understanding.

Chris from CG is joining us (probably Pete too).
Best wishes
Mike

If I'm not on holiday I'd will up for this.
C4 on stock suspension, CG alignment set up.

If it helps at all I can supply some vehicle dynamics logging kit to record roll/pitch/yaw to a few hundredths of a degree, and braking distances to within a couple of cm. The same kit Porsche currently use for road cra brake development.
Also got a C2 on M030.

MC

Excellent both.

MC, dynamic monitoring is perfect, Chris at CG has some accelerometers but one issue is bound to be accurate mounting for comparisons.

We obviously have a wide variety of cars and I'll put together a starting checklist when I get home on the 23rd. We'll also set some traffic cones!

Mike

Here is some Exe-TC information attached; hope it helps.

The ride/handling balance is incredibly good (although the Evora is actually better!).

Attachments

• exe_tc_996_gt3_133.jpg
    exe_tc_996_gt3_133.jpg
    289.8 KB · Views: 2,819
I'd be interested in this, my 2002 C2 is currently on the original M030 option with a CG arms/joints refresh and setup from 2 years ago. Chris said the shocks were still in tolerance at the time but I'd like to know what the best option would be when they do start to show their age...

Handily I already booked that week off so can come up to Bruntingthorpe on 26th Sept if it would help.

48800428501_7258a7ed57_b.jpg

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back