Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Inner track rod ends

Newbe

Montreal
Hi All

I've just replaced my outer track rod ends and I've noticed the driver's side inner track rod has a bend in it. The strange thing is my tracking is ok?

Should the inner one have a bend or set in it? It's only the driver's side? I believe it should be straight and someone has adjusted it to suite?

Thanks

Mark

I'm no mechanic but can do a lot of things to a car and I would say for sure that it should be straight, well lets put it this way, after working on cars for forty years I've never seen a bent one.
Like you said the tracking must of been adjusted to take into account the difference !

Swamps :)

Inner track rods are same part number, LHS and RHS, so should look the same.
997 Gen1 and Gen2 share same part number according to on-line parts lists.
Both of mine are straight. My drivers side replaced last year after MOT Advisory due to slight movement at inner ball joint.
deMort should be along later, whatever he says is best info.

Both should be straight.
removal is done using a crows foot spanner. (at least splitting the outer should be easy if you recently did it.
I bet some clown jacked the car up from it at some point :roll:

The inner rack arm is a ball joint with a straight rod which the track rod end screws onto .

It should in No way be bent .. the arm will move in all directions but it should be straight .

The usual cause of this is the car sliding into a kerb .. for someone to just adjust it is pretty poor .

You will need a new arm and a front end geo doing .

Attachments

• inner_rack_arm_322.jpg
    inner_rack_arm_322.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 1,057
Cheers Guys

I thought that was the case. Another job! Found it when I was looking at suspension parts which I'm replacing.

Thanks all

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe-nee-g
Back