Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

My 996 Momo wheel install......

systemmeister

I found it frustrating that there is no good information out there about how and what to fit in order to get away from the stock airbag wheel, and go with aftermarket version.

So I decided to capture the information in pictures and write a short report for anyone interested.

My original wheel;
20140104_143355.jpg

I was suffering from poor seating position being 6'6" tall due to the height (or lack thereof) above my knees/legs.

I decided that better reach (and better knee clearance by having wheel nearer my hands) would be my goal.
Furthermore, I had seen eccentric adapters to increase leg clearance yet more.

After some research I realised there was no such thing as a 996 steering wheel adapter boss.
Some further research uncovered some folk using a Porsche 944 boss, however this would need some adapter washers to pack-out the column nut (as apparently the 996 column isn't threaded far enough down....no big deal).

%5BUNSET%5D.jpg

The Momo Boss is a MOM7004.

As you can see - the treads aren't sufficient.....

%5BUNSET%5D.jpg

so I selected some thick washers to pack it out - the first of which must be slightly larger diameter than the threaded part - as you might notice the slightly enlarging shaft at the place where the washer will rest?

20140829_204757.jpg

Before I set out on modifications, I read up on how to defeat airbag MIL light and bought some resistors from my local Maplins.
I made up a fuse / resistor assembly and had this ready.

%5BUNSET%5D.jpg

It took me a while to work it out, but I knew that the existing steering wheel uses a "clock spring" wiring cassette to pass the airbag and horn wiring from the column/squib to the wheel itself.
I knew this clock spring cassette would have to be removed...leaving a problem about how to connect the horn.

%5BUNSET%5D.jpg

I also then realised that removing the cassette would expose the column stalk switch chassis metalwork to some degree.

%5BUNSET%5D.jpg

%5BUNSET%5D.jpg

Cassette removed....

%5BUNSET%5D.jpg

Wiring connector for horn and airbag - goes to clock spring cassette....

%5BUNSET%5D.jpg

Cut off the wires, leaving a bit to play with.

%5BUNSET%5D.jpg

Insulate the horn earth, and leave other ready to connect (red joiners) - and then connect airbag resistor/fuse to the others. Plug back into car loom / tuck away.

%5BUNSET%5D.jpg

Decided to cover the switch metalwork with some 3M carbon effect foil sheet.

20140830_185450.jpg

You could use anything similar, or paint it.

For the horn contact, older cars (pre-airbag) used a brass contact strip.
I rummaged through my parts boxes from a stripped Mk2 golf and found an indicator stalk unit which included the centre ring contact.
Three screws and the plastic case was in two halfs.....I binned the stalk and other gubbins, just keeping the bit I needed.
I carefully trimmed the back of it flat.

20140830_170432.jpg

20140830_170438.jpg

Soldered on a fly lead and heat shrunk the joint and remaining strip to insulate from earthing out.

20140830_185610.jpg

I carefully drilled the top edge of the switch plate on the car - carefully collecting swarf with a strong magnet.

Two bolts through the plastic housing using existing holes to fix it - with nuts on the rear.

20140830_190530.jpg

The trial effect with the squib front offered up.

20140830_191212.jpg

Eccentric Momo boss adapter fitted.
Raised the wheel about 12mm in the straight-ahead position.

%5BUNSET%5D.jpg

Washers fitted and boss bolted up just fine.

20140830_192326.jpg

Bought a genuine steering wheel from Demon Tweeks (same place as Boss was supplied).

20140830_191944.jpg

The finished result;

%5BUNSET%5D.jpg

%5BUNSET%5D.jpg

If you would like to strike a deal with Demon Tweeks - give them a call and tell them you've seen my report on 911UK - and talk to Paul Jones
01978 663054.

I placed the order for my wheel at around 4pm - and it was at my door the next morning!

How much actual extra leg clearance would you estimate this modification gives you please?

porscheski said:
How much actual extra leg clearance would you estimate this modification gives you please?

Top write up!!

When I fitted my momo wheel I used an eccentric spacer and I reckon I gained at least 1". Im 6'6 and the old wheel rubbed my legs whenchanging gear or braking. Now I have plenty of room. Heres mine fitted

That would be a good gain in space. What effect on the Insurance does removing the air bag make please? How do up you deal with it at mot time ? Thanks, john.

I agree that its helped gain about 25mm legroom.

Steering wheel reach much better too.

Indicator and wiper stalks are a way from the wheel now but you get used to it.

I'm not sure about the MOT situation.
I'm interested to know myself.

Hi,
Regarding the MOT, I put mine in and nothing was said. I know the guy fairly will but I never said anything and neither did he.
The indicators being slightly further away is the only thing you need to get used to but no big deal.

Anyone know what size washers you need to "pack out" the bolt as described above? As in ID (inside diameter) of the washer? I don't want to have to take my wheel off then buy the washers.

Thanks,

Oz

Fitted a Momo prototipo to my 99' 996, can't get the horn to work. Anyone else had this issue?
I've soldered the brown/striped wire to L shaped connector, which in turn touches the brass disc on the bottom of the boss. Got a feeling it needs the other brown wire to make the circuit but unsure of how to do this?
Any help greatly appreciated

pmac996 said:
Fitted a Momo prototipo to my 99' 996, can't get the horn to work. Anyone else had this issue?
I've soldered the brown/striped wire to L shaped connector, which in turn touches the brass disc on the bottom of the boss. Got a feeling it needs the other brown wire to make the circuit but unsure of how to do this?
Any help greatly appreciated

Check you have a good earth on the steering column, some don't make a very good earth.

Have a search on here, user "dammit" had this problem.

I found that the boss sat to far away so it wouldn't cancel the signals? Maybe my
Kit is wrong

Hi Systemeister, nice write up and thank you! It's something I've also been thinking about due to being 6'5" myself.

One other change you might want to consider if fitting the"GT3 console delete" kit (Available from Porsche or, I believe, Carnewal) This removes the cassette and oddments tray below the stereo / AC panels and utterly transforms the legroom for those of us less "Vertically challenged" since it allows your left leg to move clear of the wheel. I know, it sounds crazy but believe me it works (And in my opinion looks much better too!)

Another real help (Which you might already have fitted) is to have the Sports Seats and NOT the Comfort Seats. I used to have the Comforts in my old 996 Turbo and used to have my head grazing the underside of the sunroof. With the Sports Seats in my 3.4 Carrera 2 I have loads of headroom, maybe as much as an extra 1 1/2" (Again, still with the sunroof)

I never truly fitted the Turbo but the Carrera now fits like a glove (Albeit a glove that might fit even better with a Momo...

Just a final footnote on this. Having the indicator stalks beyond your fingertips is also a problem that afflicts people who fit the deep dish 996 Cup steering wheel too. Has anyone out there with a 3d printer considered making replacement stalks with the necessary angle and length changes to rectify this? It ought to be a nice little project for someone with the appropriate kit :?:

Thread resurrection...

I've fitted my Momo cup wheel now but indicators won't cancel, they are also very far away but I can live with that.

The boss has a tab on the back but it doesn't reach the slit in the metal plate where the spline is, pretty sure it's e correct kit so not sure if I've just done something wrong?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smiggles772
Back