Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Update on The IMS solution

Makes sense. I will be running the later big bearing in my rebuilt engines. Happy with the early dual row bearings. God knows why they changed it!!

MC

Mine 996.2 C2 was swapped recently at 86k. In for oil leak / clutch and showed signs of play so done as a precaution. I asked for the old bearing back expecting some huge hunk of steel but its about half the size of a wheel bearing @ approx 40mm dia. Was shocked by the size and how much they cost to replace and how much catastrophe they can cause!

Sleep slightly better at night albeit replacement in situ comes with its own problems. Current plan is to run for 2 or 3 years (100k) and visit hartech.

I'm pretty sure the LH one is about £500 just to buy it from the company ..

You have to return to them the old one though as they warranty their bearing and wont do so if the old bearing has already started to break up and put metal into the engine .

My guess is you havent got this type .

replaced my bearing with EPS at 145k. the original one had shaft play - but nothing too serious apart from ton of oil being dumped on it by leaking RMS

What do you mean by shaft play?

when holding the bearing by the housing one hand and shaft with the other, you can feel detectable movement of the shaft inside the bearing itself. Whether it's within specs, I don't know. While we were there replacing clutch and leaking IMS, was worth replacing, I think...

Ah, so you mean there was play in the bearing. :thumb:

Yes - sorry if I didn't describe it well. It didn't look bad but it made sense to replace it while car was in bits.

Sorry- bit of a hijack, what's the opinion on the approach to the IMSB of making a small hole in the end of the IMS itself, and then replacing the standard oil pump drive shaft with one that has a groove in it to send pressurised oil to the IMSB?

For me the concept is a good idea but how this works in reality with regards to the (less) oil flow to the other engine components leaves it in a higher risk area potentially. Maybe this could be overcome with a better pump? :dont know:

It's a good question, I wonder how we'd answer it?

FWIW the (anecdotal) stuff I've been reading suggests that the pressure pump is pretty good, the problem with the oiling system is not to be found there, but rather with gravity uncovering the oil pickup, interrupting the supply to the pump.

But as I say, that's anecdotal.

I'm tempted to remove the seals from the large/final IMSB in the new engine and modify the IMS (AKA, put 2mm hole in the non-flywheel end), and machine a groove into the IMS-Pressure pump drive gear shaft.

If the engines in bits I'd just fit the later larger bearing and remove the seals. There's plenty of oil round that area to keep a frictionless bearing happy.

I'm sure you are right, I just quite like the belt and braces approach of having pressurised oil going to the bearing.

However- unless we move the oil filter to a different place in the circuit that would mean supplying pressurised but unfiltered oil to the IMS.

Now this sounds bad, but bear in mind that the oil pump bearings are also fed the same oil.

Only solid bearings need pressurised oil. Frictionless bearings only need a light amount of lubricant.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Autocraft1
Back