Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Hello from a 997.1 C4S newbie

Jt911c4s

Hi Everyone,

I've finally managed to join the Porsche club, and bought a 56 plate 997.1 c4s 93000 miles. Decent history, the motor sounds good, but like any car this age with a number of things to do.

What I've done so far:

- New Bridgestone tyres all around
- New pads all around - the discs look good
- New LUK clutch and DDFlywheel (plus bearing seals - there was a small oil leak)
- New slave cylinder
- New battery
- New pass side A/C condenser (rad)
- Ran a RedX fuel fuel system cleaner additive through the fuel, and it has made the car a lot nippier - I wonder if it will stay like this or just when the additive is in there.
- Oil change (since the oil change, the oil pressure seems to fluctuate when the car is warm and idling between 1.5 to 3. Is this normal? Otherwise the pressure seems to read normal when the engine is revving)

The previous owner had a K&N intake system fitted (filter and breather assembly - plugged in) and has done something to the mufflers because i
I can see a cut/weld on the sides and the exhaust sounds more like a Ghundo hack exhaust.

Tomorrow I am getting a proper 4 wheel alignment.

I suspect things that may need doing in the near future:
- new shocks all around
- something around the injectors (maybe at least remove, clean and put back in?) has anyone done this before, any advice?
- Outside: deep wax on the main body and seal, bumpers re-sprayed
- Inside - leather recondition. (Does anyone have any experience with getting scratches out of the leather somehow? I wonder if there are any indy's Out there that can recondition the interior?

- radio upgrade to something modern with apple car play. Can anyone recommend anything?

Otherwise the car seems good, more wear and tear niggles inside.

Is there anything else I should watch out for or plan to do/check in the near future? I plan to change the oil every 5-7000 miles.

Nice buy , early days with my 997 C4 but loving it so far .
If yours hasn't had the MAJOR 12 yr service done then i would look to get on top of the recommended items within that , maybe not all at once but certainly worth the attention over the coming year

Items include

drive belt
brake fluid
awd fluid
plugs
cabin filter
service & all points inspection

Lowe temp thermostat and Millers nano stuff oil to reduce the risk of bore scoring.

me&my997 said:
Nice buy , early days with my 997 C4 but loving it so far .
If yours hasn't had the MAJOR 12 yr service done then i would look to get on top of the recommended items within that , maybe not all at once but certainly worth the attention over the coming year

Items include

drive belt
brake fluid
awd fluid
plugs
cabin filter
service & all points inspection

All done thankfully by previous.

Alex said:
Lowe temp thermostat and Millers nano stuff oil to reduce the risk of bore scoring.

Been using Millers for over 10 years in both weekender & daily drive but in real world use is the lower temp thermostat really worth doing ?

Accepted if occasional track days are planned or perhaps long touring days in hot climate its a worthwhile consideration but is it really a necessity for the average user ?

Errr......100%! That's unless you want to run a higher risk of scoring bores.

Have a good read up on here how bores get scored and under what conditions and also what a LTT does to reduce the risk. Scoring isn't just caused by giving the car a thrashing over a period (eg. trackday).

Start here: http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=65761

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
b8n8tai
Back