Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

991.2 Targa water ingress

archied

Has anyone encountered the following issue and resolved it? Water pooling slowly in the near side rear footwell underneath the carpet. I've had the issue "fixed" at OPC by changing certain seals but still water persists in making the carpet damp. Is there anywhere to find a schematic of where the drain hoses are on this car? I'm aware of the impact such can have on what lies underneath the carpet and really want a solution. My OPC were sure they had found and fixed the leak but it is worrying that water is getting the wrong side of the shell. I'm aware of 996, 997 , boxster and Cayenne's having similar issues but the routing of those drain hoses etc is different to the 991.2. Any specific suggestions or actual experience of such would be very well received.

I can only give you a bit of general advice i'm afraid as i've not yet had a Targa one of these with water leaks .. i've had a 991 cab though .

there will i expect be a water drain under the targa lid .. each side in the corner and close to the window .. the outlets may well be the same as the cab ..

under the panels on the underside there are some grommets .. these need removing and cleaning to make sure the water can drain away .. i suspect these might be blocked .

Lets just say when the 991 came out there was a campaign on these grommets .. they got waxoil in them during production so we had to change them .

You don't need me to tell you just how bad water is inside these cars .. there are control units under both seats and one will stop the car from starting if that gets wet .

Thanks that is helpful. I originally asked if they had checked those drain tubes for want of a better word. They said they were draining, however, I guess draining and fully draining are 2 different degress of condition. A bit like a partially blocked sinkhole, it will drain but it will also cause back up and spillage potentially if the flow or volume of water in is higher than out. Where are the grommets that you describe specifically on the car even if the example you use is for a convertible.

i don't have any pictures im afraid .. you remove the under trays and there are 2 each side in the sil section .. about an inch in size .. they are not grommets as such but seal a hole and allow water to drain out ... look at the sill in front of each wheel .. thats where they were on a 991 .1 anyways .

Basically some cars allow water to enter but then drain it away .. if the exit is blocked then it fills up and floods the car .

I remember back at opc when i had this .. i thought to myself that normally we sort water leaks from the top down .. this is the first car we sort them from the bottom up .. no other Porsche works this way .

It's just a guess anyways , as i said i've not seen one of these for a water leak so far and i normally have the car to investigate .. it's a bit hard on here to remote diagnose when i have no car and no real reference / experience on these .

But i always try to answer any question as best as i can on here :)

Out of warranty and down south then i would be saying drop it in and i'll fix it for you :D

I appreciate you taking the time to reply. Your logic and approach is in line with mine, Ill ask my OPC of PGB for a schematic of the drain hoses on my car and make sure all hoses are blown clear and end attachments renewed or cleared. Ill let you know how i get on.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back