Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 carrera 2 S or not

Basalt911 said:
kurlykris said:
Personally I wouldn`t be looking for a 997.1 S 3.8, I don`t personally know anyone who has not had bore scoring on this engine :grin:

i thought this forum knew better than scrare mongering like that? I think there a far more folk who haven't had bore scoring than who have

One persons comment can't really be construed as 'forum scaremongering'.

In any case none of us know whether jackofjed is aware of the potential issues associated with Gen1 cars so opening his eyes to them surely isn't a bad thing. :dont know:

I was keen to get into a Gen2 and couldn't justify the budget stretch to a c2S.

I'm still in love with my 997.2 c2 after 4 years. I seldom yearn for more power on the road, as the fun is in the corners and carrying momentum. More than quick enough.

Mind you, I've never driven a carrera S, I bought the first one I tried.

I'm in Derby if you want to have a nose around my car. There are a couple of meets next week as well. I'm sure people will be happy to show+tell.

PCGB - Monday at Coopers Arms, Weston on Trent
TIPEC - Wednesday at Packe Arms, Hoton (nr Loughborough). I'll be there.

Both start from 6:30ish

Happy shopping :lol:

T8 said:
Basalt911 said:
kurlykris said:
Personally I wouldn`t be looking for a 997.1 S 3.8, I don`t personally know anyone who has not had bore scoring on this engine :grin:

i thought this forum knew better than scrare mongering like that? I think there a far more folk who haven't had bore scoring than who have

In any case none of us know whether jackofjed is aware of the potential issues associated with Gen1 cars so opening his eyes to them surely isn't a bad thing. :dont know:

Fair enough, but if I was new to Porsche and didn't know about the possible pitfalls on 997.1's, if I read the quote above, that might surely scare me off as I could assume that all 997.1's will possibly suffer from bore scoring and therefore discount them completely. Rather than opening his eyes, I'd probably say he is closing them completely to 997.1's. IMHO

i have a gen 1 3.8S 997 with a few mods like sports filter and sports box and RS engine mounts. its a tip with the AMG paddles to convert to flappies as well as having the engine rebuilt a few years back by hartech (not my ownership) so I should have no worries. its done 92k miles, has some battle scars on it but it owes me nothing and its a lovely shape.

have had a few things go like water pump and alternator but to be expected with a 15 year old car. done a bit of paint work on bumpers but not much else. I use it every day and its a riot to drive and it presses on quick!! love the torque of the 3.8 engine.

I change the oil and filter every 6 months and use 5W40 fully syth oil to keep things fresh as can do this at home no worries and its cheap to do. can even do plugs and coil packs when needed just not major mechanical stuff!

drove a gen 2 997 3.6 non S and not much in it to be honest. felt like the 345 bhp was more than enough on the road. not as torquey as the 3.8 but revved a bit more freely and felt plenty quick on the road (as does a gen 1 3.8S)

the gen 2 is a new car and you get the LEDs plus touch screen but not much in it to look at inside and out.

have a look at a few, get the spec and colour you want and just get it and DRIVE IT!

carcrazypop said:
T8 said:
Basalt911 said:
kurlykris said:

Fair enough, but if I was new to Porsche and didn't know about the possible pitfalls on 997.1's, if I read the quote above, that might surely scare me off as I could assume that all 997.1's will possibly suffer from bore scoring and therefore discount them completely. Rather than opening his eyes, I'd probably say he is closing them completely to 997.1's. IMHO

thank
there is a lot of information , i have seen even i didn't know i was possible to ask for a borescope before buying my futur 997. (too much time oversea)
as i work on navy diesel engine i know a bit about borescope and it is sometimes complicated to see and analyse but it is good advice
I want a porsche since a long time always delay due to many reasons now it is time and it is the right time i will go for a 997 S pdk because as i always drive in europe so pdk is easy just spend hours looking for the good one

i will def pass to derby when i am back from France.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DD77
Back