Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

What to do to a Gen 2

No issues at my end

Centre bypass causes no mot issues . I think thats a good value place to start , some are happy with the sound others will want to go a bit further, but best to do a bit at a time. also while your doing that add BMC sports filters to your airbox .

You are right the gen2 sounds different to the gen1

If you was to improve handling which will increase the fun as much as adding power if not more then.

lowering springs, RSS engine mounts and spacers( I suggest RSS because I have tried all the other options except the 993rs mounts and RRS IS THE BEST by far for low NVH etc., easy to put back to stock when you sell and will make a noticeable difference to handling. worth considering getting centre gravity to do a full Geo at the same time for a perfect set up.

The DSC pasm upgrade module is a very nice item but quite expensive but it will allow you to use sport on uk roads without needing a private dentist .

if yours is manual the two options are the SSK with this whether you buy OE or aftermarket they have nylon bushes and are as sloppy as the standard shifter but with a shorter throw. there are several options with this you can ask Alex on here to fabricate you one with his metal bushes or look at the kit from function first in the USA . the second option is the OE GT3 shifter this is not starter than the standard shifter but has metal bushes and gives you the rifle action gear change . I had Alex's SSK with metal bushes originally but didn't like the Short shift even though if felt good with metal bushes so have now fitted a GT3 shifter and really like that for me personally as I prefer the longer throw but wanted the rifle action shift.

If your budget is bigger then consider a top end exhaust like Akrapovik or Cargraphic valved units with 200 cell cats but these are in excess of 5k.

I think 7.5k would get you a akrapovik or cargraphic exhaust, plus DSC module and lowering springs and spacers engine mounts and a GT3 shifter. this would certainly increase your grin but I do understand its also a lot of pub time and a holiday :grin: :grin: If your anywhere near Sunny Bournemouth I am happy to meet up and you can see what the various different bit I have mentioned do and sound like.

Mine is the Cargraphic exhaust but I also have all the other bits mentioned plus others like IPD throttle body , Chip Wizards remap, and various GT aerodynamic body parts .

hope some of those suggestions help :thumb: :thumb:

heres a pic of my 4S

Attachments

• 61704406_2564613020250547_2537485928520220672_o_651.jpg
    61704406_2564613020250547_2537485928520220672_o_651.jpg
    664.1 KB · Views: 3,071
  • 26357730_1758799674190865_1875228505784975360_n_643.jpg
    26357730_1758799674190865_1875228505784975360_n_643.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 3,071
arthouse said:
This is a pretty good guide to tuning options on a 997.2;

https://www.sharkwerks.com/tuning-guides/997.2-carrera-s-4-4s-gts-2009-2012

I've got a PSE with a Hayward & Scott centre bypass on mine, luckily bought it with the mod already done.

I'm going to be doing my clutch later this year, considering a lightened flywheel for a bit more zing.

Thanks good link to the Sharkwerks tuning guide; bad news is I now want their bypass mod rather badly :roll: :thumb:

The other brands centre bypass's are very similar to SharkWerks. I believe they even threatened legal action against Milltek.

I have the Haywood&Scott, which is an X crossover rather than

)( shape. Comes alive over 3500rpm but raspy rather than rumbly. I later added gundo which marginally improved things, then went for BMC cone air filters for more noise. The problem is the sound insulation means you can't hear the engine inside the cabin. Sounds great for whoever is following though!

The best I have heard is from cgr automotive. Check their website.

I also echo CAT driver training. - great vfm to go faster.

Best cosmetic mod for £11 is to ditch the number plate plinth and get a stick-on plate.

1. +1 for Center Gravity. Not exactly a mod but they will advise and set up (with or without spacers) to how you want to drive it. When you have been you soon realise it's not as expensive as it might first appear. They will also recommend the DSC. I run in sport mode nearly all the time now it's that good but a lot of that was also down to the Center Gravity set up.

2. X-Pipe. I have the Topgear bypass system and it's a very good value mod. I wouldn't bother upgrading to PSE but rather would go full after market system for similar money and better sound. The PSE is OK but it's not great even with the bypass.

3. Front grilles. Ok wont make you faster but looks great if you go with something sat behind the bumper rather than clipped on like the Zunsports although both options could save big pennies down the road.

4. Sport Design steering wheel. Could even go 918 style but the sport design looks the nuts to me :p

5. Extended Leather. Some big smile gains can be had there. Alcantara, contrast stitching, etc. There have been some lovely mods posted on these forums in the past that have got me into thinking I would rather go that route than spend loads for relatively small power gains.

6. Braided brake pipes. I wasn't convinced before I had them done but I am now.

7. Driver Training - CAT. Next on my list to do and will probably be my biggest win.

8. I am dreaming.......Sport Classic body kit....BIG $$$ even if going Design 911 but the 997 rocks a duck tail ;)

Have fun!!

For a none performance gen 1 upgrade that is a huge bang for buck payback is an OEM looking Android HU...I'm not talking the usual double din unit with cheap fascia surround that I personally don't like.

Put them in my previous Boxster's and just brought one for my 997...great fun..you can play Angry birds in traffic jams...what's not to like

James M-S said:
Best cosmetic mod for £11 is to ditch the number plate plinth and get a stick-on plate.

Literally just did this to mine, had the bumper repainted to lose some stone chips and fill the old plinth holes, problem now is I like it without the front plate!

Attachments

• 2a2185be_2342_4265_a0ca_62c6fc8e4059_160.jpeg
    2a2185be_2342_4265_a0ca_62c6fc8e4059_160.jpeg
    411.4 KB · Views: 1,158
Thanks to everyone for taking the time to reply, in summary all these mods should be done plus a few others as well!
I have some budget constraints though so will have to pick one - for now - so I can keep the V power coming on tap.

Fully agree the biggest improvement in speed is training, had a few sessions with a pro driver and no matter what I do to the car they will be quicker in something relatively mundane. However I'm quite shallow and love gadgets so will buy something in lieu of that talent.

Can anything be done to get more engine noise in the cabin? There's a lot of insulation behind the rear side panels but fear that would just increase road / tyre noise.

Phill 997 - I saw (heard) your car at the Precision Porsche meet in June, I'm very much at the shallow end in though, I will save the SSK and RSS mounts advice for later and probably go for a cheaper exhaust option.

If you are after more noise and maybe a slight performance kick..what about high flow (200 cell) cats ...which you can get for around. £500....coupled with a sports exhaust...something like a Dansk .....which you can get from Design911 ...they currently have a 10% offer on.

arthouse said:
James M-S said:

Literally just did this to mine, had the bumper repainted to lose some stone chips and fill the old plinth holes, problem now is I like it without the front plate!

Assume keeping the budget to £11 the sticky plate covers the plinth holes?

Can you share a photo Arthouse?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

MarkC4S said:
arthouse said:
James M-S said:

Assume keeping the budget to £11 the sticky plate covers the plinth holes?

Can you share a photo Arthouse?

Yes, luckily there were only the two holes, once I'd deburred them, they aren't noticeable through the plate. Worst case would be to fill and buy a new vinyl plate. Can't do photobucket anymore I'm afraid.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yewcorner
Back