Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Coolant - quick question

911DG

Spa-Francorchamps
Hi Guys

Sorry for the dull question but I've checked the boards and so much advise on coolant it's confusing.

I checked my level this morning as hadn't done it for ages and it's just a tad below the Minimum line - maybe half an inch.

Is it best to just top up with 200-300ml of water or actually go and get the correct coolant and mix it etc etc ? Assume just a bit of water but wanted to ask. I opened it with engine cold.

Cheers

Dan

I was in a similar situation recently and just added water. You can buy distilled water cheap enough.

Check for spatter marks around the cap as the seal can fail. Monitor the level over the next few drives.

Frazerpart sent be my new cap promptly for a good price.

...also worth checking the small nuts atop the coolant reservoir tank vent aren't loose...coolant can escape from these under pressure...

The Porsche mix is 50/50 water / antifreeze which will give you a freezing point of about -31 degrees C.

With a total volume of approx 22 ltrs then 1 ltr of water won't dilute the mix very much .

Let's face it in this country then -20 C is plenty .

Modern antifreeze ( pink ) contains additives that stops small leaks .

Water or Distilled water .. now that's a question !

Also one i'm not getting involved in :)

Thanks guys ! Good advice.

Water vs Distilled water now that is a question ? For a coolant tank in a car - man I'd have never considered that for a second ........ I'd have just filled a bottle from a sink.

Does it Actually matter ???

911DG said:
Thanks guys ! Good advice.

Water vs Distilled water now that is a question ? For a coolant tank in a car - man I'd have never considered that for a second ........ I'd have just filled a bottle from a sink.

Does it Actually matter ???

I have never used distilled water in my cars and never had corrosion or nay issues. I do maintain things pretty highly though. I imagine many garages dont use it either!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Max V
Back