Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

What to do to a Gen 2

Rouleur Ordinaire

Loads of mods on 996 and Gen 1 cars but what's the best 'bang for your buck' on a Gen 2 car?

Elephant in the room (more like mouse) it's too quiet, but what options are good value, Centre by-pass, PSE retrofit or new System? Any other way to improve the noise inside, engine mounts, induction, sound proofing?
Spend the money somewhere else like DSC Sport PASM, Wheel spacers, Short shift.

Or just enjoy its subtlety and go to the pub.

I'm in the same boat, looking to inject a bit of life into my 997.2 after 2.5 years of ownership. Was considering one or more of the following:

- exhaust upgrade
- short shift kit (GT3)
- suspension drop (mine is a high riding base model on passive dampers) and / or refresh

Will await responses to your original message from the more experienced 997ers on the forum!

Pretty much all the Gen 1 mods work on gen2...
Best bang for buck on the exhaust is a Gundo hack for around £250

Short shift kits for Gen 1&2 manuals are identical. Alex on the 996 section sells a modified eBay shifter for about £150 that's is cheaper (and probably better made) than the Porsche gt3 version

Some rave about the dsc sport pasm upgrade but its not a cheap option, in fact it isn't far off the price of a decent set of coil overs... a lot depends on if you think sport mode is too hard or not, most here do but personally I don't so to me that's not a mod worth paying for on a manual.

Solid/semi solid engine mounts are a cheap way to improve the fe

:thumb:

I originally thought I would do the Gundo mod but I've read a couple of times that it is less successful on the Gen 2. No idea if that's right or even why that might be. I know the orientation of the pipes are different but the principal should be the same?
PSE was a must have on my list - so obviously I bought one without it :dont know:

PSE by itself isn't that great tbh, but PSE with the centre silencer bypass :dance:
I'd get the centre silencer bypass done first as it's pretty cheap and then go from there.

I have some 15mm spacers all round from my old car...

There is a lot of love for Top Gear Exhausts, but another option is the Tubi Style Exhaust which is what I have. Love it to bits as it gives me a quiet exhaust whilst in town and air cooled race car when appropriate, all controlled by my right foot. No drone either which is great on a long run at motorway speeds.

Exhaust is a must I think. Top Gear one with centre silencer delete pipe is good value & makes a big difference to sound. I have one in the for sale section on here if interested.
Only reason it's for sale is I bought an ackrapovic off a member here.

I loved the short shift kit on my 997.2 (made the gearbox a real treat to use, like a rifle bolt) as well as the PSE. However, both were fitted by the previous owner, although both were genuine Porsche items. I would have sprung for the SSK but not sure I would have purchased PSE, might well have looked at other more exotic options if warranty wasn't an issue.

For me though, best investment in my 997.2 was tankfuls of V-Power and using it (did just over 30,000 miles in 2.5 years).

OP, if you really want some ideas you could always drop Phil 997 a PM, or scroll through a small sample of his mod threads.

You need to do the centre silencer bypass to hear the car. I did PSE and that. Mine is Sharkwerks, but others are available. I wouldn't go with Top Gear due to the design.

Best bang for your buck is probably to purchase lessons from a decent outfit such as CAT. That's an investment that will last a lifetime.
As for hardware, two suggestions:
1) take the car to Center Gravity and get them to "health check" it, with (most likely) a follow up visit to sort out the suspension
2) I had Ohlins road & track coilovers fitted for around £3.5k and I think they are excellent. Better in my opinion than any PASM setup.

You could of course combine the above.
Have fun modding!

Has anyone with a centre bypass experienced any MoT emissions test issues or 'check engine' warnings?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bristolsparks
Back