Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 turbo turbocharger removal

Rosselder83

Spa-Francorchamps
The saga of my 996 turbo continues. Currently attempting to remove both turbos. I have the exhaust off but that's proving to be the easy bit.

On the pass side the oil feed line and check valve actually came loose, everything else is proving difficult.

I see the route of the feed line on the drivers side so if I have to cut that I'm ok. What I'm not too sure about are the lines to and from the turbo sumps. I tried to drain them but both sump plugs are absolutely solid, the drivers side one just rounded and that was just from sheer force. My initial plan was to just unbolt the sumps from the turbos and leave them in place but that doesn't appear to be a viable plan now.

So worst case I'm going to have to cut these sump lines as well. Can anyone tell me how much tears (both physical and financial) I'm going to shed here.

Also if anyone has any top tips I'm all ears. This car is fighting me every step of the way!

So after some mild jabbing about the internet I found the following diagram, looks the the bottom two end up in each side of the oil pump held in by a bolt and two o-rings.

It's not really clear how the top ones connect? Do they connect into the oil tank?

Attachments

• 60ff28c3_91ee_4ceb_8ff8_41e8f6eb6d9f_128.gif
    60ff28c3_91ee_4ceb_8ff8_41e8f6eb6d9f_128.gif
    69.7 KB · Views: 3,400
I have a 997t but have read of people having issues getting the 996 turbos off as well. This is the Porsche WM for the procedure on a 996t but it doesnt seem that amazing! They advise removing exhaust manifold, clearly they are assuming a new car and not corroded nuts lol
https://www.dropbox.com/s/chdwqv4tvjh6uez/996tremoveturbo.pdf?dl=0

As far as more relevant info try this https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996-turbo-gt2/253730-turbo-removal-diy.html

Not sure about the oil line replacement, from the thread above it seems doable with the engine lowered (not removed, lowered)

hth cheers

Rosselder83 said:
So after some mild jabbing about the internet I found the following diagram, looks the the bottom two end up in each side of the oil pump held in by a bolt and two o-rings.

It's not really clear how the top ones connect? Do they connect into the oil tank?

I don't have a 996T and I've never taken one apart, but reading that diagram as an engineer, the top pipes connect to each sump using a flange on the pipe and a union. Same sort of connection as a hard brake line to a caliper. If you can undo the union all the way (all you'll see is a nut with the pipe going through it) it'll disconnect itself!

Thanks for the input chaps, after studying the above diagram again i can see where the feed for the sumps attach to a T-Piece at the top of the oil tank.

Will go with that and see what happens

I feel your pain.

A tip from me is if you are removing the two pipes numbered 16 in the diagram from the top of the oil tank, attach a piece of string to the end of the pipe, then remove the pipe with enough string still remaining at the top of the engine, so that you can pull the pipe (or attach to the new one if needed) back up through the same route. It will be hugely difficult to do otherwise.

Good luck

A great tip, thanks very much. Did you have to drop the engine a bit when removing these pipes and did any oil come out of the oil tank at that height?

I did drop the engine a few inches to give room to get in there.

It's been a while, but I don't recall much oil coming out as they are at the top of the tank. I would put an old rag under the joint when removing just in case, but there wont be floods of it.

I presume the nuts on the turbo to manifold will be rusty blobs? If so a nut splitter and hammer and small chisel will be what you need. Don't waste time trying to undo them.

All useful information mate thanks very much.

Yes those nuts are barely still classed as metal. Im currently in debate whether to remove them there or just take the manifolds off as those bolts are also in dire need of being updated. Bolts snapped in the head doesnt fill me with deep joy i must admit

I'd do the lot whilst you're on. Chap on here makes/sells Titanium studs to replace the std items, they are impossibly light :D

I swapped out the manifolds on my old 986S and it's a bitch of a job laid on your back, got my Indy to do the 996T items at a very reasonable cost considering half of them sheared.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
964Turbo.3.3Mike
Back