Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

I bought a C4 sight unseen off eBay for £8k

cracked cylinder head , gaskets are normally quite reliable. :dont know:

Given the rebuild history I would also go for a cracked head. Not all that uncommon on these. So long as there is no damage to any bearing surfaces you will be fine. Heads for the 3.4 are much easier to source than the 3.6l if you don't go the repair route.
Bad luck that.

MC

Sorry to see that.

If it were mine I'd get it back to Hartech. While it's out of warranty, in my opinion it's best to give it back to the place where it was done previously.

ouch. hope it's not all doom.

Sorry to hear.

Did you check expansion tank at point of sale? Was it clear/it's happened since or you missed it?

TurboRob said:
Sorry to hear.

Did you check expansion tank at point of sale? Was it clear/it's happened since or you missed it?

It was fine when I'd checked it previously. Whether it had been hidden by the previous owner or seller, who knows?

You win some you lose some. It was always a risk. You could have had a few years of cheap fun motoring.

Personally I'd eBay it as spares or repairs and maybe get £6k back, unless you really want to keep it.

Well done for having a go though, there are many who just talk about it for years, but never actually take the plunge.

Good luck whatever you plan to do. :thumb:

Honestly, I'm not really up for selling it. Say I sell it for £6k, I've lost £2k. If I fix it for £2k, I get to keep and enjoy it and I think it's still a cheap 996 at £10k. If it needs a full engine rebuild, that's a different story.

NotoriousREV said:
Honestly, I'm not really up for selling it. Say I sell it for £6k, I've lost £2k. If I fix it for £2k, I get to keep and enjoy it and I think it's still a cheap 996 at £10k. If it needs a full engine rebuild, that's a different story.

Obviously all guesswork at the moment until you really know the problems. If the oil and coolant are mixed I would want a full engine strip down to properly clean everything out, which would mean quite a few hours of labour. Whilst in there it would make sense to change big end and main bearings. Even if you do it all yourself you are probably looking at getting on for a couple of £k for the consumables. Plus £400 for a spare head if you can find one in good condition.
That is assuming it is a cracked head, which given the current info is the most likely IMO. Infrasilver has rebuilt these engines himself so will be able to give a more accurate idea of costs for a stripdown and rebuild.
I think it would be mad not to get it rebuilt and sorted if it is a cracked head, assuming that there is no damage to anything else. You would have a super engine when sorted.

MC

It's an option but, honestly, I'd rather keep the car. I bought it knowing it would need money spending on it, and possibly big money.

NotoriousREV said:
It's an option but, honestly, I'd rather keep the car. I bought it knowing it would need money spending on it, and possibly big money.

I feel the same. Once you've taken the leap, why go back? The alternative is that you'd be back in the umming and ahhing phase again and may never buy another.

Its a shame I was hoping it would work out, if you can still get it fixed for a couple of grand would still be a good buy.
In my minds eye was thinking I wouldn't mind one as a daily run around, so was watching this to see.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mwarren1
Back