Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997.1 steering wheel upgarde

Brunty88

started out to just upgrade as I always have disliked to steering wheel and interior
got a few more things planned but this is for now.
newer style brought second hand off ebay
came from an auto car
so removed the back cover
removed the shifters
ordered a new back cover for a manual wheel so no shifter cut outs
brought the airbag off ebay had to ensure the plugs and connections were the same
once all together set the wheel up
removed the old one and installed the new one
I will be changing this for a multifunction wheel as I didn't know you could add this but my indi said they could so ill get that and have it all done when I get the cruise control added.
it feels like a much nicer wheel the grip is slightly larger and looks so much smarter
few pics i have more if wanted like the part number for the cover and airbag and airbag connections etc

and the old one

Nice job this is on my list of things to do I didn't realise you could use the auto ones and remove the shifters :thumb: How much did it cost you with all the bits to do the change if you don't mind me asking

cheers

Gaz

snap

I did the same and love the new wheel

Attachments

• capture_119.jpg
    capture_119.jpg
    589.3 KB · Views: 3,021
Tim did you get all the multi functions on the wheel working I had read there is a guy in the states that does an adapter/loom

Brunty88 said:
started out to just upgrade as I always have disliked to steering wheel and interior
got a few more things planned but this is for now.
newer style brought second hand off ebay
came from an auto car
so removed the back cover
removed the shifters
ordered a new back cover for a manual wheel so no shifter cut outs
brought the airbag off ebay had to ensure the plugs and connections were the same
once all together set the wheel up
removed the old one and installed the new one
I will be changing this for a multifunction wheel as I didn't know you could add this but my indi said they could so ill get that and have it all done when I get the cruise control added.
it feels like a much nicer wheel the grip is slightly larger and looks so much smarter
few pics i have more if wanted like the part number for the cover and airbag and airbag connections etc

Looks good, thank you for sharing :thumbs:

Gazc2 said:
Nice job this is on my list of things to do I didn't realise you could use the auto ones and remove the shifters :thumb: How much did it cost you with all the bits to do the change if you don't mind me asking

cheers

Gaz

Total was about 650-700 all in
It all depends on the price of the used parts ie the wheel and airbag
The back cover was on 911uk but no discount as I didn't realise until after
Very easy for a manual non multi function wheel
My indi says they can code it easy enough so that's next

Re: snap

tgdesign said:
I did the same and love the new wheel
How did you get the wheel to work was it just coding on a PIWIS or did you have to get a wiring harness adaptor I thought the adaptor was only required if you went from a non multi to a multi I'm sure it's all modules and I can just add the buttons as they're available on their own but there's also a wheel with them but it's quite a bit more than just the button sections

991 wheel

Gazc2 said:
Tim did you get all the multi functions on the wheel working I had read there is a guy in the states that does an adapter/loom

Gary

I used this guy Paul li very good service .

https://gpsadapter.us

you can find him on facebook also, hes from china.

you will also need a gen 2 steering wheel control module

then it was plug and play

Tim

Re: 991 wheel

Very good..thanks for the thread.....

I did this on my 987 with a sport design steering wheel but couldn't get the horn to work..i guess it needed coding.

Im looking to do the same on my 997 and will likely have to buy the PDK wheel as they seem far more common on FleeBay....so its good to know that the paddles can be removed.....good tip

villaman said:

I did this on my 987 with a sport design steering wheel but couldn't get the horn to work..i guess it needed coding.

Im looking to do the same on my 997 and will likely have to buy the PDK wheel as they seem far more common on FleeBay....so its good to know that the paddles can be removed.....good tip

Villaman, if the horn didn't work it was probably on of 2 things you needed the gen2 steering control module as well as the wheel etc, or you needed to get the OPC to use PIWIS to turn on the multifunction option this needs to be done even if you dont have multifunction . these are the 2 most common reasons for the horn not working after upgrading the wheel. :thumb: :thumb:

Phil 997 said:
villaman said:

Villaman, if the horn didn't work it was probably on of 2 things you needed the gen2 steering control module as well as the wheel etc, or you needed to get the OPC to use PIWIS to turn on the multifunction option this needs to be done even if you dont have multifunction . these are the 2 most common reasons for the horn not working after upgrading the wheel. :thumb: :thumb:

Hi Phil,

Thank you very much for the information.....lets hope its the former...but I'll get my local Indy to do this first.

Thanks again, Simon

Looks like a great upgrade, I'd like to do the same to mine!

Popped into Porsche Portsmouth earlier only to be told that because mine is a 2011 997.2 I can't change my multi function wheel for a sports wheel with paddles - is there any truth to this?!

Maccy said:
Looks like a great upgrade, I'd like to do the same to mine!

Popped into Porsche Portsmouth earlier only to be told that because mine is a 2011 997.2 I can't change my multi function wheel for a sports wheel with paddles - is there any truth to this?!

Maccy need a bit more info please mate . if you want a 997.2/991.1 sports wheel to replace your std 997.2 MF wheel then yes its a straight swap but the 997.2 wheel is out of stock as its part number has been superseded by the 991 part number so you need to tell them to order that . the sports wheel for the 997.2/991.1 didn't ever come with a mf option so you would lose that facility . if your trying to fit the 991.2 steering wheel (the one with the domed airbag ) (this had the MF on a wheel under the steering wheel) to your 997.2 it can be done but a little more complex . which is it your trying to do, and is your a pdk or manual :thumb: :thumb:

heres a couple of pics of my std mf gen2 wheel then the new alcantara sports wheel with the 991 part number :thumb:

Attachments

• img_1610_728.jpg
    img_1610_728.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 2,761
  • img_2059_122.jpg
    img_2059_122.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 2,761
Very nice Phil...your cars looks very interesting with the below...any chance you could upload a couple of pics ?

I have gone for the sports design manual wheel as I didn't mind losing the multifunction as it didn't like to my replacement stereo anyway but I also swapped out the gear knob and hand brake for the x97 ones.

Attachments

• 20190714_200030_624.jpg
    20190714_200030_624.jpg
    389.8 KB · Views: 2,636

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Porsche Die Hard
Back