Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Exhaust & cat combo options

Drew1209

Spa-Francorchamps
I'm still looking for an exhaust setup for my car, so far I've tried standard cats with gundo hack rear silencers then I moved onto Topgear 200 cell cats and mild sport boxes and lastly Topgear 200 cell cats with standard boxes

The best sound for me was standard cats with gundo hack but I'm led to believe there's power to be had changing to 200 cell cats.

I'm giving consideration to Carnewal modification of silencers and cats as the Topgear set up isn't for me, I want as close to pse as possible and apart from the gundo sound everything else has been poor.

Any sound clips from your different set ups? It does seem to be very much trial and error to get to your personally desired exhaust sound :wall:

My favourite was a slightly blowing standard OEM with gundo hack but I am happy how mine sounds now and get lots of comments.

Tope Gear Manifolds,
Top Gear 63mm 200 cell Sport CATS
Milltek sport cup boxes

Unfortunately I've no sound clips and I removed cats and silencers yesterday.

INWB, do have a sound bite of your car, I used to run Milltek on an S3 years ago and it sounded good.

Im tempted to stick the standard cats back on the car but I'm sure putting 200 cells on did give a bit more go but how important that is I don't know.

After spending my lunch break trying to find out what the Carnewal GT exhaust mod is I've found nowt, anyone know what is done to the internals of the standard silencers.

I'm trying to suss out if it's worthwhile shipping the silencers over to Belgium or open them up myself or lastly just do the gundo. If there's something only Gert can do in the inside fair enough but if it's just removing baffles and welding back up I can do this.

Drew1209 said:
After spending my lunch break trying to find out what the Carnewal GT exhaust mod is I've found nowt, anyone know what is done to the internals of the standard silencers.

I'm trying to suss out if it's worthwhile shipping the silencers over to Belgium or open them up myself or lastly just do the gundo. If there's something only Gert can do in the inside fair enough but if it's just removing baffles and welding back up I can do this.

I'm not sure Gert's wizardry has been openly admitted to as I've friends who have been to his business for the 'drive in/out" service on a 996 & Gert didn't disclose what he does to the boxes although they do sound much more like an air cooled car IMO & are different in tone to my TG sports boxes with 200 cell X-pipe. I might know of a pair of 996 boxes that were Carnewal'd that haven't been fitted to a car if you're interested btw 😉

Definitely interested, I might try the Carnewal boxes with my Topgear 200 cell cats and see how that sounds.

I was led to believe Gerts mod is similar to a gundo but internal .I have only heard it on a 997.2 as we stopped off there two years ago on the way back from Dinslaken for one of the guys to get this mod. Its only my opinion but I didn't think Gerts mod was as raspy as the gundo but as I say it was on a gen2 and they sound different to the gen1. I was very happy with my Topgear set up, 200 cell big bore cats , sports boxes and a set of stainless X51 headers from the states on my gen1 . but have to say I really like the Cargraphic full set up on my gen2 but at 3 times the cost of the topgear you get what you pay for I guess.

But exhaust note, tone and volume are all so personal its very subjective and really the only way is to hear an exhaust on a like for like car and get the one you like the sound of .

Well I sent my original Porsche cats away to Gert with my standard silencers for him to work his magic, should have them back for the end of the week.

Looking forward to hearing this set up as I've tried a few variations now.

Carnewal gets my vote...fitted them on my car a few years ago now still with standard Cats, love the sound. As others have commented its all very subjective but I'll be interested in how you report back on your set up once fitted, as new Cats is on my "nice to do" list.

I have TG 200 cell cats and 'mild' sport boxes. The exhaust is very loud and not particularly refined, but it does sound great when you're pushing on. It's much lighter than the PSE boxes and std cats I removed, but I'm considering putting the PSE boxes back on as I much prefer the sound they gave.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stulees65
Back