Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Warranty

resigner

Barcelona
Anyone used Warranty Direct etc for a warranty? I know one of them is good, but which one? Obviously I want to cover the car for everything, including an engine rebuild. It's a 2007 C2S Cabrio with 85,000 miles......

cheers all.

Oh. Can't get an OPC, I changed the head unit!

I wouldn't bother. I've lost count of the stories I've read where warranties aren't honored when there's a biggie like an engine rebuild. They might sort out a squeaky door pillar but anything more expensive and you'll end up exchanging solicitors letters.
OPC warranty is probably the best but not an option in your case.

Whatever the quote for the warranty is, just set aside a similar amount into a slush fund every year.

Like all Insurance products, if their actuarial calculations are correct you'll be paying more than the probability-weighted costs of something actually going wrong.

1. There is a company, it's either wise or direct, which does honour engine rebuilds.
2. Putting aside money on the off chance is ridiculous in my opinion. Much rather have that money working for me as an investment.....

So, anyone used Wise or Direct and have experience?

Set it aside however you like - I didn't say it had to be under your mattress :roll:

Whichever company you choose you'll find that they'll operate like any insurer - the bigger the claim the more effort they'll put into finding reasons to reject it.

I used Warranty Direct many, many years ago on a Passat W8. When the gearbox needed a rebuild they wanted evidence that all servicing had been carried out correctly. I was friendly with the VW service adviser who reissued an invoice to leave out that they'd topped up the ATF at some point as he said from his experience they'd leap on that as evidence of a pre-existing fault. While an IMS bearing failure would likely be covered, something like bore scoring would be rejected given that it's not an immediate failure.

If they reject your claim for whatever reason the only recourse you'll have is to go through a lengthy appeal to one of the relevant Ombusman services while your car is sitting awaiting repair (because repairing it without their approval voids the warranty cover). You'll probably also have to use one of their approved repairers for something like an engine rebuild, rather than one you choose.

With all that said, my original point still stands - statistically the Insurance costs are against you. If you can afford to pay for a big bill out of the readies, keep your cash in your wallet.

I've had good and bad with w direct. The good: they paid out for a busted fan in my cayman s and they paid out to sort a complex water problem on my old. Rr sport. ( I was surprised on this one and happy they dealt with that ).

The bad: they wouldn't cover air suspension problem on the rr sport and it cost me quite a few quid to sort it.

I'd go for one of the comprehensive policies if I was going to do it. That way they come and inspect the vehicle before giving cover, which imho means they can't wriggle out of a genuine claim. From memory I think it's the platinum one. I also negotiated in cost when I got mine and saved quite a few quid.

The 997.1s aren't very complex cars... no turbos, DFI, PDK etc to go wrong. Most of what they need would be down to wear and tear/old age.

If yours suddenly falls victim to bore-score, then the warranty co will likely only pay for the bare minimum repair to the affected cylinder/s back to factory spec. If you want to go the full monty, which you should, then additional upgrades i.e closed deck head, 6 Nickasil liners, new bearings etc etc then that will be funded by you.

I would want it in writing from the warranty co that they will meet the costs of bore-score repair and not argue its wear and tear/pre existing.

Personally I agree with Mr Flake- if you are comfortable your engine is in good shape, is well maintained and driven carefully then keep your money invested, or even invest the money you would have spent on the warranty premium.

resigner said:
1. There is a company, it's either wise or direct, which does honour engine rebuilds.
2. Putting aside money on the off chance is ridiculous in my opinion. Much rather have that money working for me as an investment.....

So, anyone used Wise or Direct and have experience?

It is no different to any other Insurance be it home, travel, warrenty, car, medical, dental etc.
Basically you take the risk yourself or pay to share the risk.

So not ridiculous at all - just a choice each of us has to make. You could equally say it is ridiculous not to take the warranty given the cost of some of the things that can go wrong.
Some people are risk averse and are happy to pay for peace of mind. Others are happy to take higher risks.

I had Warranty-Wise for three years at a cost of approx £1000 a year. Diff seals failed - would not pay as nothing needed to be dismantled to repair. Front spring snapped - wear and tear. Make your own mind up. After my full engine rebuilt by Hartech, got them to do everything required for their gold service then they took it on to their warranty scheme at considerably less than WW! :D

I've had Porsche Warranty couple of times and Warranty Direct couple of times as well as dealer back to base and they've all dealt with the various problems that arose no issues. The 991 and 986 (too old anyway) I have now are not covered, the 991 had a Porsche Warranty until recently, first Porsche I've had that has not made use of its warranty and I don't plan to put one on it.

If I were I'd go to Warranty Direct and not just because they are not so picky about minor mods like non-Porsche batteries and exhausts. They covered my 997.1 and 997.2, they were willing to negotiate, not only the premium (20% less than Porsche) but also their cover so that it was more like having a Porsche Warranty (things like excess, their right to specifiy non-OE parts for repair, labour rate caps and contribution to new parts were removed).

I found their wear and tear cover to be better than Porsche in that when my 997.2 needed new rear shocks, Porsche wouldn't have usually covered that, but WD did. On the other hand, when it needed a new PSE silencer it was under Porsche warranty and they used their discretion to cover it, I doubt WD would have done that, same with the illuminated kick plates not illuminating.

Over the two 997s, WD paid out for shocks, other suspension parts, steering rack, water pump, tandem pump, plus things I may have have forgotten and they did so without fuss. Centre Gravity did the suspension work and OPC did the mechanicals.

I haven't had a WD policy for a couple of cars/years, but I did get a quote for the 991 and noticed they've restructured their products so for all I know they aren't as flexible nowadays, but in my experience, as long as you take the time to understand their products, request changes if needed and use them to the letter of their t&cs, they're very good.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back