Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 exhaust silencer fitting Hertfordshire

robbo666

Hi all
My 2 new silencers arrived today and I need to get them fitted.
Anyone got an approximate cost for this?
I have all the fixings so labour only.
Any recommendations for garages?
Thanks for any help.

I've heard good things about AMS Porsche in Hitchin :thumb:

I'm near stanstead so on the Essex border.
I'm tempted to do it myself but wanted a rough idea of cost.
I'll call them tomorrow.
Cheers 👍

I found changing my exhaust silencers pretty straight forward, yes you'll get a few stubborn rusted bolts but if your fairly competent with the spanners then I'd go for it :thumbs:

https://www.porschacare.com/

Go see matt at Porschacare , i live in the same neck of the woods as you and hes the only guy to touch my car.
:thumb:

jezgreen911 said:
I found changing my exhaust silencers pretty straight forward, yes you'll get a few stubborn rusted bolts but if your fairly competent with the spanners then I'd go for it :thumbs:

I might try, worse case I will have to drive to a garage with 1 silencer off 🙉....

996ttBULLA said:

Go see matt at Porschacare , i live in the same neck of the woods as you and hes the only guy to touch my car.

Thank you 👍

jezgreen

you have changed the silencers.... I am contemplating the same ... I have engineering skills but not on cars .... having recently acquired my first 996 c2 2003 I am discovering, through forums like this that quite a lot of maintenance, improvement is entirely possible. in fact I am finding myself irresistably drawn to having a go!

My silencers are soon going to need changing and from an inspection underneath, from the block to the tips there isn't a recognisable nut or bolt that could be undone with a socket...they are all shot to pieces ...crumbled away .. I am surprised that the exhaust system is still attached frankly.

What slightly bothers me is that as I go to replace the silencers...
1) break the three studs undoing the three small nuts on the silencer mounting bracket (this is the way to release the silencer, it is said, rather than the vertical bolts) (this bracket is mounted on the block, isn't it?)
2) I disturb the manifold mounting on the engine block and then have a bigger problem in the form of up to 12 broken studs

Any comments/reassurance you can give? did you have to deal with broken studs ...eg on the cat to silencer flanges?

This diagram should help, if necessary the bolts on the cat to silencer sleeve clamps can be cut off if they won't undo, as you can see the three bolts on the exhaust silencer bracket bolt to a hanger bracket, all six of my bolts came out ok but worst case scenario you could always replace the hanger :thumb:

Attachments

• 20190724_185525_491.jpg
    20190724_185525_491.jpg
    252.2 KB · Views: 2,109
996ttBULLA said:

I called Matt and he and he can fit them after his holiday.
I think I'll let him do it.
Thanks for the info.
Cheers

thanks jezgreen .... for the diagram

I am relieved to see that the both sets of potentially problematic studs are 'downstream' so to speak..... namely that they come out with the bit that you are removing...

...eg the flange bolts come out with the cats

and

.... the hanger bolts come out with the exhaust brackets

so there is every chance of dealing with stripped threads/ broken studs on the bench rather than under the car!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back