Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Let's talk about wheels , 997 wheels

The 'lobster claw/ fork' description is just a descriptive name given by owners both this and other side of the pond ..

I believe they were options called 'Carrera S wheel"......it's all lost in the mists of time now

I don't think you can beat a BBS or OZ aftermarket option really , for the most part they suit the 997 far better than some of the OE items......

Especially the CHR ......!

me&my997 said:
robro911 said:
Sorry to be a pedant !! but the wheels are correctly known as "lobster fork" not lobster claw, as they closely resemble the shape of the implement used to eat lobster ie. a lobster fork. They don't look anything like a lobster claw !!
And yes my car does have "Lobster fork" wheels and yes I do eat lobster with a lobster fork !!! :lol:

When i told a Porsche owning pal i was rejoining the 911uk forum he said " i wouldn't bother " , " there are some proper knobs on there " :oops: looks like he was right :lol:

"Best not bother then, I'm sure there are far more suitable forums for you !!

robro911 said:
me&my997 said:
robro911 said:
Sorry to be a pedant !! but the wheels are correctly known as "lobster fork" not lobster claw, as they closely resemble the shape of the implement used to eat lobster ie. a lobster fork. They don't look anything like a lobster claw !!
And yes my car does have "Lobster fork" wheels and yes I do eat lobster with a lobster fork !!! :lol:

When i told a Porsche owning pal i was rejoining the 911uk forum he said " i wouldn't bother " , " there are some proper knobs on there " :oops: looks like he was right :lol:

"Best not bother then, I'm sure there are far more suitable forums for you !!

9 exclamation marks in a few short sentences :oops: not a bad effort :thumb:

If your mate said 911uk are knobs, he must have tried to sell a number plate here which required a rather severe case of dyslexia to remotely guess what it was referencing for the princely sum of the GDP of a mid sized African nation. He would have been dealt with appropriately if that was the case, as you would expect.
Seeing as you're in the NW, come along to one of our get together in Wilmslow and see for yourself that we are a stand up group of people. We are in MCR city centre for next months get together, which you're more than welcome to attend, or you can join us in Sept back in Wilmslow which is the norm. Keep your eyes peeled in the meets section :thumb:

Ok wheels.... the standard 5 spokes just look wrong because they leave too much space between the spokes, this is where the lobsters always win. Lobsters with the centres black also look very good... the turbo wheels are fecking hideous regardless of what they weigh.. as are all the nasty aftermarket oz etc wheels that all look like you have ramraided a set of fast and furious 🤪 (especially when painted bronze or gold...)

Wheels, subjective :thumb:

Hertsdriver said:
Ok wheels.... the standard 5 spokes just look wrong because they leave too much space between the spokes, this is where the lobsters always win. Lobsters with the centres black also look very good... the turbo wheels are ***** hideous regardless of what they weigh.. as are all the nasty aftermarket oz etc wheels that all look like you have ramraided a set of fast and furious 🤪 (especially when painted bronze or gold...)

I agree with you :thumbs:

Well i obviously disagree and quite like aftermarket wheels in Gold :D

Hertsdriver said:
Ok wheels.... the turbo wheels are ***** hideous regardless of what they weigh.. as are all the nasty aftermarket oz etc wheels that all look like you have ramraided a set of fast and furious 🤪 (especially when painted bronze or gold...)

Attachments

• 0a1a0097_edit_web_826.jpg
    0a1a0097_edit_web_826.jpg
    730.9 KB · Views: 2,317
AdeD said:
Well i obviously disagree and quite like aftermarket wheels in Gold :D

Hertsdriver said:
Ok wheels.... the turbo wheels are ***** hideous regardless of what they weigh.. as are all the nasty aftermarket oz etc wheels that all look like you have ramraided a set of fast and furious 🤪 (especially when painted bronze or gold...)

When it comes to these HRE's..... it isn't subjective, because these are just THE best wheels to have on a 997 Turbo ( S)... (In black though) but these are the DB's.....

T

I think most oem 997 wheels are a bit gash tbh. I have sport design on mine which are probably the best of a bad bunch imho. I really like a few of the aftermarkets wheels though:

BBS CHR
productlarge_1588_600.jpg

Vertini Magic
s-l500.jpg

These 2 being amongst the best in my opinion.

I've got Turbo wheels on mine, but they're not my favourite. A mate said I'd be crazy to swap them out, but I'm not 100% sold on them

MR997 said:
No love for the 997 Turbo wheels then, I like them?
Nope, not keen on gen1 turbo wheels at all and think gen2 turbo wheels are alright, but I wouldn't want them personally.

I think the gts wheels are about the best oem wheel I can think of.

Ruger mesh are nice on the right car too.

It's all subjective anyway, as one man's poison...

Well to add to the debate....i put a set of 20" after market Turbo 2's and initially thought they looked good...

i like others have always changed the wheel on my previous cars....but ive started to think that the "Lobster Claws" actually look really good and ive come back to liking them.

I do however like the Carrera S 2 wheels so may if i can find a set replacement with these...but the 20"'s are going.

Attachments

• image1_2_998.jpg
    image1_2_998.jpg
    275 KB · Views: 2,141
CarreraMonkey said:
MR997 said:
No love for the 997 Turbo wheels then, I like them?
Nope, not keen on gen1 turbo wheels at all and think gen2 turbo wheels are alright, but I wouldn't want them personally.

I think the gts wheels are about the best oem wheel I can think of.

Ruger mesh are nice on the right car too.

It's all subjective anyway, as one man's poison...

Looking good , what spacers / springs are you on there ?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mwarren1
Back