Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Looking at a 2002 C4S.....100k so looking for a warranty

Smiffy2303

Chaps, looking at a couple of C4S this weekend, good looking cars and booking in a Ppi and boresope for one of them mid week ( GCR Porsche Leicester ..... Does anyone know them or recommend anyone else in that area? ).Im finding it difficult to find a warranty as the car is now 17 years old with a shade over 100k on the clock..... For info it has a bundle of history with the last owner having it for the last 8 years !!!!.... Any ideas great fully received or does anyone know the car ?.

Cheers Chris

Attachments

• image_198.png
    image_198.png
    842.5 KB · Views: 1,599
  • image_123.png
    image_123.png
    930.1 KB · Views: 1,599
  • image_831.png
    image_831.png
    967.8 KB · Views: 1,599
Can't help with the warranty (I'm not a fan of aftermarket warranties as by definition they cost more than the expected return) - but what's up with that front bumper? Either it's been fitted incorrectly or there's something badly wrong with the front end of that car.

deckster said:
Can't help with the warranty (I'm not a fan of aftermarket warranties as by definition they cost more than the expected return) - but what's up with that front bumper? Either it's been fitted incorrectly or there's something badly wrong with the front end of that car.

EDIT : I have just realised that you had a C4 previously so you are most likely well aware of the points i made below...

A friend of mine in the UK has used aftermarket warranty quite successfully on a couple of Mercedes he has bought - so it does work sometimes. You need to do your research and read small print on the various policies.

Regarding the front bumper - I agree that it isn't fitted properly - it should follow the line of the wing between the headlight and the indicator repeater on the side. Have a look under neath and check that all plastic underbody panels are in between.

With regard to a PPI - it is worth paying an informed person to do it if you don't know your way around a Porsche. Borescopes are useful but not always fool proof. The fact that the car has been owned for 8 years is only a positive if there is good recent history. History older than about 5 years is normally obsolete e.g if their is receipts showing that 200 was spent on suspension in 2010, while it is better than never being replaced, those components are due to be replaced now if you want an nice supple Porsche designed driving experience.

I bought my 2002 C4S with 120k miles. It had an engine rebuild at 110k miles due a dropped valve seat. I didn't get a PPI. The car performed flawlessly for 2 years. Then it dropped another valve seat. No signs of borescore whatsoever. No IMS issues. Now it is nearly rebuilt. A PPI or borescope would never have picked up the issue of the valve seat. That is just bad luck with one particular engine head.

If you want to get intimately informed about engine issues such as borscore - watch here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=8&v=mFjqZ6lvuZ4

My Point? Mileage is not an issue if the car has been cherished - like all of the cars on here. PPI is only a line in the sand today and not necessarily an indicator of what might happen tomorrow. Porsches are expensive to run - and while some people on here can run them very cost effectively - they are generally still expensive. Ask questions like you are doing, search this forum, maybe buy a car advertised on this forum by a member who has documented some history about their car on the forum. Don't rush into it.

Best of luck

Smiffy2303 said:
....... I'm finding it difficult to find a warranty as the car is now 17 years old with a shade over 100k on the clock.....

Other than buying a car from a dealer and taking whatever warranty they offer with the car I doubt that you'll find a company willing to take on such a risk. If they did I reckon the cost would be exorbitant.

Most warranty companies have an age and/or mileage cap and 17 years old with 100k+ miles would probably exceed both.

Your best bet will be to cross your fingers and put a sensible amount of money aside each month to cover any potential issues. This is what most owners of 10 year old+ cars do in any case.

Most of the bills will be wear and tear. I wouldn't expect a warranty to be that helpful.

Smiffy, I think you are going to have to pull the trigger.

I've noted your previous posts, the Gorham Finley 986 was bought by me. It came with a 6 month warranty & after a bore scope I was still aware it would need consumables refreshing not covered by a warranty. To date having spent £17k on the car I've renewed/replaced discs, pads & shoes, tyre's, fixed a leak in the coolant system & other consumable at a cost of 3K. I'll need new condensers in due course but I have a well sorted car that I love driving.

It seems your wish list is never gong to match your budget so something needs to change if you are to buy your dream car. Warranties are often not worth the paper they are written on - think of the extended warranties offered by Curys/P C World. The extended warranties are more profitable than sales of electrical goods they are famous for. 16 years & 107,000 is going to be tough should I want one because sadly many, some on here, still think over 100,000 miles is high - it all depends on it's history & condition. German engineering was streets ahead in the 2000's & built to last

I hope you are soon successful in your search

I can't post a picture as the file is 'too big' ?

Smiffy, I think you are going to have to pull the trigger.

I've noted your previous posts, the Gorham Finley 986 was bought by me. It came with a 6 month warranty & after a bore scope I was still aware it would need consumables refreshing not covered by a warranty. To date having spent £17k on the car I've renewed/replaced discs, pads & shoes, tyre's, fixed a leak in the coolant system & other consumable at a cost of 3K. I'll need new condensers in due course but I have a well sorted car that I love driving.

It seems your wish list is never gong to match your budget so something needs to change if you are to buy your dream car. Warranties are often not worth the paper they are written on - think of the extended warranties offered by Curys/P C World. The extended warranties are more profitable than sales of electrical goods they are famous for. 16 years &107,000 is goinf to be tough should I want one because sadly many, some on here, still think over 100,000 miles is high - it all depends on it's history & condition. German engineering was streets ahead in the 2000's & built to last

I hope you are soon successful in your search

Thanks for all your replies and advice.....

I'm liking at a couple of cars and hopefully I'll have one within the next 3 or 4 weeks..The silver one posted looks good in the pictures and online, I must admit I didn't notice anything wrong with the front bumper.... I'll be back on the phone tomorrow and ask about that.A warranty is a bit of price of mind..... Yes I know it won't help if it goes bank but some help is better than no help ?. I'm more concerned with the bores / ims ...... If this comes back ok on the cars I'm looking at then I'm happy . I understand that the price I'm looking at will get me a certain car with things that need addressing ...... I can cope with that and will have a fund to deal accordingly on the advice of the Ppi.Like everyone on this group I'm going in with my eyes open and it helped having a C4 a couple of years ago.

Mattomg - that's a great car you have , due to work stuff I couldn't get in there quick enough !!!! Joff at Finley is a top bloke, I've read the reviews and found him to be so helpful, straight forward and willing to help .

I'm always looking on the autotrader , I've narrowed my search to 3 cars ..... 2 tips ( both black on black ) and possibly the silver as posted. Both black ones are private sales........ The silver is in a garage and owing to the price comes with a 28 day engine and gearbox warranty so that puts me off?.The is another silver one for sale in a garage....... Appears to have an after market spoiler? Anyone seen it...... I kinda like it if I'm honest !

The search is nearly coming to an end............I can almost smell the coffee at the Badgers mount meet !!!!!!!!

Cheers all

Chris

First thing that struck me was the way the front bumper was sitting in relation to the headlight assemblies.

Can't help on any warranty chat.

If the black on black was last owned by a Polish Chap & serviced by another Polish chap in Essex, comes with a 'spare' IMS bearing and has both keys but neither work remotely BE VERY CAREFUL It failed my PPI

BTW My indie, to date has changed about 50 IMS bearings, all bar 1 were perfectly fine & didn't need changing. I believe bore scoring is more prevalent on the 3.8 motor. Warm it up slowly then give it a regular spanking, change the oil regularly and maybe a magnetic sump plug for warning signs & a low temperature thermostat as preventative measure. In the unlikely event it goes bang you know you did everything you can, just unlucky. A 28 day warranty gives you the opportunity to drive it miles & miles & is just inside trading standards 30 day returns policy - I wouldn't discount it on that basis.

Joff's C4S's Tiptronic didn't work on pickup but was fixed & reimbursed by him (£480) Talking to previous owners have revealed a failed front end LSD & subsequently comprehensive hydraulic lifters/Tappet work. Got a spare key too as well as more history.

She is therefore mechanically sound but showing her age - which can be addressed. Think Cindy Crawford - would you say no ?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back