Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

IMS issue?

aware911

Trainee
Well life is weird at times.
Today I met a guy that has the same 997 like mine.
He said that he spent 5000 euros for preventive fix of the IMS.
IMS? What is this? I asked...
He told me enough and then came back at home.
My 997 has 45000 km's only and is sporadically driven approximately once a month.
I looked under the car and saw no leak on the floor but the engine is oily around the area of the seal of the bearing in question.
Any ideas what steps should I follow?

Car has May 2006 as date of production.

Thank you

Forget about it.

When you need a new clutch revisit this thread and ask again.

Alex said:
Forget about it.

When you need a new clutch revisit this thread and ask again.

Yeah, this ^^^^^^^ :)

Forget about it.

Worry about bore scoring instead.

we rate these leaks on a scale of 1 - 5

1 / Black dirt basically , not a leak but more of a sweat .. no work needed .

2 / Damp , a bit more than misting but no drips forming .. no work needed .

3 / Small drip or obvious oil but not really dripping on the floor .. it is a leak but not bad .. no work needed .

4 / a drip which falls to the floor when on a ramp .. will cause a small patch of oil on the floor when on a ramp ... time to get the seals done .

5 / a continuous leak onto the floor , oil spread around the entire area .. time to not drive the car anymore let alone get the seals done .

IMS .. 2006 is the larger bearing .. i can only say i've never seen one fail and imho it's not worth worrying about .

Btw .. with a tip then its an engine drop to change the seals or the bearing .

It's good to be aware :grin:

deMort said:
we rate these leaks on a scale of 1 - 5

1 / Black dirt basically , not a leak but more of a sweat .. no work needed .

2 / Damp , a bit more than misting but no drips forming .. no work needed .

3 / Small drip or obvious oil but not really dripping on the floor .. it is a leak but not bad .. no work needed .

4 / a drip which falls to the floor when on a ramp .. will cause a small patch of oil on the floor when on a ramp ... time to get the seals done .

5 / a continuous leak onto the floor , oil spread around the entire area .. time to not drive the car anymore let alone get the seals done .

IMS .. 2006 is the larger bearing .. i can only say i've never seen one fail and imho it's not worth worrying about .

Btw .. with a tip then its an engine drop to change the seals or the bearing .

For the sake o completness, I assume I am at level 2 in your scale of 1 -5. https://drive.google.com/open?id=14gkDv8n6QoL9yxIgXTgIlcdv6sHnBQ2x
Do you happen to agree?

Thank you

Thank you again.
Luckily enough my previous sports car, namely a 986 was too driven very rarely and didn't have issues with IMS... Luckily....

I shall drive my 997 more often though anyway.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back