Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Cheap ebay manifolds + exhaust = TICKING

I mate of mine had a 964 C2 some years ago that did the same thing, again only under load. The problem was leaking between the head and the cylinder.
I'd imagine that a leak between head and exhaust manifold would sound similar.

Its also a possibility that the head is leaking caused by too much excessive force when installing the manifolds.

It's gonna get looked at this thursday. We'll see how it goes.. From just looking under the car all looks well, but i'm dubious about the gasket used..

Any exhaust leaks do manifest themselves as a lightly sooty area around the leak after a period of running but I suspect the won't show as yet.

I'll update this with the findings :D

Interested to hear the outcome of this, I've had Toyo manifolds on the car for 12 months (fitted by Cavendish Porscha, Notts) with no issues...yet!

My sympathies with the OP as i have exactly this problem on mine at the moment :roll:

Mine however is still on the standard manifolds and I'm pretty sure that in the 13 years of my ownership have never been off. The ticking is only present when under load - even to the point that I can rev it to 4,000 without inducing the ticking. everything else on the car is normal and it started during an 'enthusiastic moment' on a recent driving trip in Serra do Estrela

In my case, I can actually feel the gases coming out of the blackened area in the attached a pic which might be of use I hope - mine is also on the N/S

I'm hoping that the bolts etc will behave themselves while we fix it - fingers crossed!

Good luck :thumb:

Attachments

• exhaust_leak_654.jpg
    exhaust_leak_654.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 1,455
so it appears that the triangular gasket between manifold and cat has blown itself to two pieces! currently on the lift awaiting replacement.. stay tuned

close look at manifold gaskets reveals absolutely no sooty spots or signs of leak.. and I gave it an honest spanking for a few days!

Result!

Like I said - too early for sooty deposits, takes a few week for that to show.

well... blowing still with a new gasket, also from the triangle - something's not matching up correctly... (manifold flange to cat flange). I can actually feel it on my hand. Not sure what to do now - contacted the manifold seller... *****

Thicker more compliant gasket material.... though appreciate that may not be to hand, dependant on the resultant miss-fit dimensions paste may just break up and blow out in time.... Perhaps two, three or more standard gaskets with a light smear of paste between each layer and the system may provide a tick free situation meantime...?

Good luck.

The gasket failed and split. All that needs doing is it replacing with another one.

Alex said:
The gasket failed and split. All that needs doing is it replacing with another one.

did that - still blows (felt by hand) on the inside of the triangle. Getting the manifold seller to send me a replacement...

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back