Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Disabling spoiler - possible?

Johnd52

I would like to either disable the spoiler on my 981 Cayman, or raise the speed at which it automatically lifts. Does anyone know if this can be done.

On UK roads it seems rather pointless and the automatic lift is just at the normal motorway cruising speed.

My ideal would be to modify the switch so that I could have it permanently down rather than the current situation where you can have it permanently up.

It's all electrickery to me.
Thanks

I would imagine it goes up at 75mph for a reason.

Remember what happened to the early spoilerless Audi TTs...

I would worry that if anything was to happen at motorway speeds, eg spin on standing water, your Insurance may also be disabled if it was found the spoiler had not risen.

If a Porsche has a factory option of a fixed wing then the spoiler can be coded off , i think you car has such an option so in theory it can be done .

There is no option to alter the speed at which it deploys though via normal means with a tester .. aftermarket options and i can't comment on .

it is a safety feature for high speed use though .. i would no more recommend disabling the airbag system than disabling this system .

Your choice though .

Interesting and thoughtful responses, thanks. Whilst I can fully appreciate that it is designed for a purpose, I find it hard to accept that no spoiler at 75mph is Ok but it is essential at 80mph. I think a bit of research is called for.

The reality on UK dual carriageways and motorways means that the cruise control is now set at 76, real speed 73, being a licence preserving strategy.
Euro trips and track days etc. are another matter entirely, hence the desire for it to be easily re-enabled.

Anyway, the point is moot as it looks like I am stuck with the blasted thing waving in the wind from time to time.

On to more important things - planning the next trip.

Hi John - from the driver's seat, can you actually see the spoiler when its up? I certainly couldn't in either my current or previous Boxster. I'm guessing the view back in a Cayman is rather better as there's no roof mechanism in the way!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back